MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So finally got the MR2 put back together and ran some errands yesterday.

Went out to do some more stuff today, and it wouldn't start.

Seems to be turning over just fine. It's at least not sounding way slow. It's always fired so fast before that I've never had the starter engaged for any real amount of time to compare it to now.

Battery reads 11.9 volts with multimeter (didn't check it until after many failed starting attempts).

My spool of wire seems to have gone missing (disappeared in the wife's last cleaning binge for company, no doubt), so I haven't tried to check if the fuel pump is coming on.

It is colder today ~30 degrees than I've ever run it before. Coldest previosuly was probably 45-50.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Try a different battery, my money is on that.

A battery will have less Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) in cold weather, and that would meet the criteria of it sounding 'slow'.

Edit: oops, I thought you were saying it sounded like it was cranking slow... hmm

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nw_mr2 said:
Edit: oops, I thought you were saying it sounded like it was cranking slow... hmm
Nope, didn't sound slow to me, at least not compared to other cars. This one has always fired so fast I can't really compare it now to when it was working, as it never sat there and cranked for a while while working.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my wife got home so I had some extra hands. Don't seem to be getting spark. Didn't have time to further diagnose as dark was falling.

Will probably be back once I've had more time to go exploring with a multimeter.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
keethrax said:
Well my wife got home so I had some extra hands. Don't seem to be getting spark. Didn't have time to further diagnose as dark was falling.

Will probably be back once I've had more time to go exploring with a multimeter.
I take that back, I had bumped the distributor end of the plug wire loose on the other end before testing. Upon noticing that (with better light) I've got spark on all 4.

The plugs were pretty shot though so I swapped them (cheap and they've probably been in way too long anyhow). Still no start, but then I didn't expect it to, I just hate putting easy to replace yucky parts back in the car.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
well on my 89 it doesnt start in the cold wheather and i think its sumthing to do with the coldstart injectors, not sure how to test them though....

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have an 89 and it starts every time even through the frosty periods at -8 no problems at all but when i started it today i got a backfire bang for the first time so i released the key and re cranked it and it was fine and it run fine all day but every now and then i get a strong smell of petrol but i have no leak does anyone else have this

S

·
0 Posts
mine was doing the same thing. although the problem turned out to be the starter motor, if u hear the starter motor click and it won't do anything, hold the key on start position for a few seconds and it will start. me and my mechanic tried to find what was wrong with it but all we assumed was that it was a bad connection of one wire or another after taking a look at the brand new starter motor we put in.
good luck, i know it's annoying but u just kind of have to get used to it.

PS: does anyone else have a problem of the "cooling fan," "battery charge," and "brake" lights coming on the dash while running the car?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I'm getting spark. And I'm pretty sure I'm getting fuel, as the new plugs now smell like gas when pulled. I also tried starting it with starting fluid, no dice.

I stupidly pulled the battery to charge in since it had been being worked awful hard, and neglected to pull codes beforehand (though the light wasn't on the last time it ran, so I don't know if it would have had any or not anyhow) so I don't have any useful codes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts