1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Resistance Is Futile
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

You might remember by problem thread from a few weeks ago:
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=155863

Well in the end we diagnosed the problem to a bad amp and I stand before you today a cured man :)

New System Specs:

JBL GTO755.6 II 6 Channel Amplifier

JL Audio VR600-CSi Component System

Phoenix Gold 4.0c Coaxial Speakers (for rear fill)

Image Dynamics IDQ-10 Subwoofer in custom sealed enclosure.

Clarion DXZ655M Headunit

Stinger 15ft High Performance 12 gauge twisted speaker wire (for sub)

Stinger 9ft Twisted/Shielded HYPER SERIES interconnects (for front and rear and sub channels)

90ft of P3 16 gauge twisted speaker wire

3ft of four gauge power wire

4 gauge AGU in-line fuse holder

80Amp AGU fuse

HD ring terminals

And a wide variety of terminal forks from Parts Express.

Install Pics

I couldn't be happier with the quality of the sound and the best part of all is there is absolutly NO noise, not even alternator or EHPS noise! I think I did pretty good for the price I paid and after months of planning, installing, and diagnosing I am very happy with the final product.

I am particularly happy with the subwoofer as it is probably the highest quality part of my system and it's in a box I designed to take up ZERO reclining room. My box is built specifically for the Image Dynamics IDQ10 and has .50 Ft^3 of internal volume. This volume is exactly what Image Dynamics recommends for the average user and I have found it produces a very nice response. I can move my passenger seat ALL the way back and recline ALL the way to the firewall. At this setting, the back of the seat makes soft contact with the speaker cone, so while I don't think it will damage it, I have moved my seat up one notch so that nothing touches (see pic below). With a grill on the sub, I would feel 100% comfortable taking the seat all the way back.

If there is any interest, I can post my blueprints for the box.

I still have to install my rear speakers this Saturday, but for the most part I'm done.

Big thanks to EVERYONE that helped me in my last thread.

Thanks for looking!
Lane

·
Resistance Is Futile
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the complements skyline.

My box is a lot like yours, but I was able to make it a little smaller because my sub required less volume than most. I really like your enclosures and it seems a lot of people in the for sale section do to :)

Good luck with your sales!
Lane

PS
Hope you are able to get the noise out of your system too.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks Lane.

I think the noise can be mostly eliminated by securing a better ground for the amp and head unit. As of right now, I think it's ghetto rigged through these tiny screws into the floor. Not as good as I can imagine.

I think I might be making some more boxes.

Sean

·
Resistance Is Futile
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
aaron7:

Thanks man. I've actually tidied up my wiring a little more since I took those pictures and it makes my frunk setup look even better :)
If you're ever down in my neck of the woods, look me up and we'll make your 4 channel look pretty too :D

SOLDIER [X]
It's actually a 6 channel amp. I suspect the two sets of RCA's entering the amp is causing the confusion. When I took these pictures the 2 sets of RCA's represented the front and rear channels from my headunit. I've since added another RCA set for a total of 3 pairs of RCAs going to the amp which represent the front, rear, and sub channels. It's nice to do it this way because it gives you the flexibility of easier tuning via the headunit.
I have 2 of the channels X'd over to provide 300 watts RMS @ 4 ohms to my sub, while the other 4 channels provide 60 watts RMS @ 4 ohms each to my components and rear coaxial.

Thank you for the comments :)

Lane

·
Resistance Is Futile
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
stanpho:
Sure man, I'll have to dig them out and it may be a couple of days before I have the time to do it, but I'll make an effort to get them for you.

Blurvision:
Hadn't really planned on it, but I'm sure it would help especially on the doors. I'm actually very happy with how everything sounds right now, but if I become more of an audiophile later on, I'll give it some thought. The biggest thing that degrades my sound quality right now is my 3" downpipe + Apexi GT spec exhaust, however, I've made plans to replace it with a quieter duel exhaust system :D

Thanks guys
Lane

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks Lane!

And your setup looks awesome... I'm in the same dilemma you are, I have the blitz nur spec with 2.75'' dp... really kills your sound quality... what exhaust are you planning to get?

And with your box, if i made it to your specs but with one inch more width, i will probably lose that last notch of reclining room huh?

Thanks again! And lemme know on the box specs when you have the time! I'm working on my audio setup right now...

Stan.
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.