MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Red Mk1a Mr2
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I learned about MR2's about 6 months ago, saw one on marketplace for 4k and snagged it. Haven't looked back since. However, since this is my second project car I need help on what I need to do to fix stuff when it breaks or is inoperable.
My MR2 is a red mk1a from 1985 and has the 5 speed manual trans. It came with a rebuilt motor, aftermarket shocks, cold air intake, aftermarket wheels and tires that suit it as well IMO. So far all I have done to is an oil change, tint the windows, find lost trim pieces, replaced throttle body ... but yeah, it's going to be my new money pit / daily.

Also I have a lot of parts for sale so pm if interested
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Wood Wheel Rectangle

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm no expert but I can give you an idea what to expect with maintenance. about 90% of the time, the parts you'll need for this car are discontinued by Toyota so you'll probably have to resort to facebook, mr2oc, and various marketplaces (or junkyards) in order to source your parts....most of the time. I'm not saying Toyota doesn't have parts - but they're becoming extremely hard to come by. I've been daily driving a '89 supercharged for years now and it's been a struggle sometimes to source the parts I need.

·
Registered
Red Mk1a Mr2
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I came to terms with what you mentioned about a month into ownership when I sourced the clear visor / c-pillar trim and have contemplated getting a parts car since. Thanks for the advice and I appreciate your compliment 😀. Also, I envy you deeply for owning a supercharged mk1b. That is the creme de le creme and I didn't know that at first. I am thinking about making this NA 1985 mr2 as mint as I can then selling to get into the exact year and model that you own lol.

I'm no expert but I can give you an idea what to expect with maintenance. about 90% of the time, the parts you'll need for this car are discontinued by Toyota so you'll probably have to resort to facebook, mr2oc, and various marketplaces (or junkyards) in order to source your parts....most of the time. I'm not saying Toyota doesn't have parts - but they're becoming extremely hard to come by. I've been daily driving a '89 supercharged for years now and it's been a struggle sometimes to source the parts I need.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I came to terms with what you mentioned about a month into ownership when I sourced the clear visor / c-pillar trim and have contemplated getting a parts car since. Thanks for the advice and I appreciate your compliment 😀. Also, I envy you deeply for owning a supercharged mk1b. That is the creme de le creme and I didn't know that at first. I am thinking about making this NA 1985 mr2 as mint as I can then selling to get into the exact year and model that you own lol.
a parts car would be very wise! +1 if it still has its engine inside of it. I wish I went that route but there aren't too many supercharged parts cars floating around. haha how ironic, that's exactly what I'm about to do with my SC, i'm selling it and upgrading to a gen 5 3sgte swapped mk1b! 😆

1 - 5 of 5 Posts