MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
My very first day was swapping in a momo steering wheel horn screws came out easy and struggled hard withe the steering wheel using gear.pullers around the house ought.the correct tool and still came.out with serious force .pop! And out she came. For sure first.time removal in its 33 years. Really enjoy the Monte Carlo wheel. Period correct too. Second job was the muffler. We don't have emission tests anymore so I got the shop to cut.off the old and bring out 2" pipe to a 90 then straight then 180 into a trust by magnaflow 1 into 2 going into 21/2" dual out was cheap and inspired by the e46m3 exhaust. Looks and sounds good in my opinion

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
More progress to report. During the really bad winter weather I was off from work for a week and took that time to strip and paint the front hood. That required one can of primer, four cans of touch up color and one can of clear. It's an improvement over the cracking and peeling paint but that's about all. I also removed the leather steering wheel cover with the intention of getting another cover but I discovered a decent finish under so I'll just run with that. This weekend I'm expecting a DS window regulator from Twos R Us so hopefully that door will be fully functional soon.

·
Registered
1986 MK1.5
477 Posts
Great work so far. I’ve needed to replace the DS regulator on mine for the last 13 years, just haven’t done it yet!
If you’re still deciding what to do about freshening up the suspension, I’d recommend starting with Koni dampers, and springs of your choice if budget allows. A full rebuild with bushings, top hats, ball joints, etc is the way to go, but you will get much improved behavior with new dampers.

·
Registered
1986 MK1.5
477 Posts
Having good time refreshing the calipers. They were quite unloved
ALEXSOL, are you familiar with thread jacking? While I do enjoy seeing what you are doing, it would be best to start your own thread on it. I would kindly ask that we let this thread be about Han Solo's car and his work.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Your AW11 seems to be in quite capable hands, and I'm enjoying this thread quite a bit. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
ALEXSOL, are you familiar with thread jacking? While I do enjoy seeing what you are doing, it would be best to start your own thread on it. I would kindly ask that we let this thread be about Han Solo's car and his work.
Got the message and got a little carried away... i've started a couple threads and will continue to read this one with interest!

·
Registered
1986 MK1.5
477 Posts
It's all good. I see you've only been on the forum for a couple of months, and just wanted to share a bit of etiquette in case you were unaware.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
5 months since posting but much of that project time was consumed by a Porsche 914 rocker repair job. Over 80 hrs. on that job. So the MR2 was on the back burner but now I'm giving it some love. I got in on the TwosRUs C pillar trim group buy and what a difference those parts make to the exterior! Eyelashes are ordered and will be installed soon. I also have a new OE flasher relay on the way as well. I finally pulled the rocker covers (or skirts) expecting the worst but was surprised on the condition of the rockers. DS is practically perfect. The PS had a bend and some surface near the rear arch. Looks like someone got hasty with a jack. I'm painting the skirts trim black and have the seals ordered from TwosRUs. Some cleaning and paint touch up before those go back on. This car has a rattle in the exhaust and I suspected the cat. However, after dropping the muffler and inspecting the cat, it's fine. I discovered that the rear bumper is parially secured by two bolts that also fasten exhaust hangers. Those stripped out so I went down the rabbit hole removing the rear bumper to get those tack welded nuts replaced. More paint touch up on the rear valence with the vents. I put the muffler back on and figured out the rattle was heat shielding on the collector. That muffler is way oversized and the inlet and outlet pipes are too small. I'm thinking Magnaflow muffler with the correct 2" pipe. I'll post some photos next with the black skirts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Pulled the spoiler to de-rust and paint. The worst corrosion was on the metal strip under the bumper. Four of those fasteners sheared off. I haven't found a good way to remove layers of automotive paint off rubber. I use an abrasive disk on my pneumatic mini grinder. That leaves an uneven surface that resembles hammered metal but I'm not spending a lot of time block sanding that even. The trim black on the spoiler looks good and I cleaned up all the fasteners. I'm thinking that I'll stay with the white on the grill as it's not cracking and peeling yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Last few weekends I've been busy on this project. Ordered and replaced most all the suspension bushings. Also replacing the rear tie rods. Last night was really fun as I fabricated and installed a new cat-back exhaust. I salvaged the OE flange from the cat end and welded that to a 2" u-bend pipe. Welded that into a Magnaflow round muffler. Then welded a 12" straight pipe into a 90 degree bend. The 2" pipe and muffler do seem to flow much better. The sound is a little "ricey" when reved up but nice and deeper with less throttle. Anyway, it's a huge improvement from what was on the car.
Motor vehicle Wood Electrical wiring Engineering Gas
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
125 Posts
Great thread and thorough work as well!
If you have any trouble getting your carpet where you want it I believe, unlike the gen 2, that they are still available for gen 1's from ACC. You may want to pick one up before they decide to quit making them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Great thread and thorough work as well!
If you have any trouble getting your carpet where you want it I believe, unlike the gen 2, that they are still available for gen 1's from ACC. You may want to pick one up before they decide to quit making them.
Thanks for the tip Eloquaint! Please let me know what ACC full name is. Thanks!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts