MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to make a front splitter for this season. Made out of a sheet of alumalite and mounted to the chassis. This splitter retains the crash beam.

First I started with a nice piece of 1/4 alumalite, got mine from the local fast signs.

Untitled by mhulbrock, on Flickr

Looks cool square :p

I used some PVC conduit to help me get a nice and even arc

Made two curves on each side and lined it up with the bumper for astetics

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Started with the frame

Works with the crash beam

Threaded rods for the rear. I can adjust the angle.

What you cant tell from the photos. The Frame is an E shape and is very strong. More threaded rods connect to the center of the frame

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Looks awesome. I haven't had a chance to get a sheet to start mine! I'm going to use Dibond.

Are you going to reinforce the front of the splitter with rods? Or is it connected to the crux lip? Is it strong enough from the front of the splitter to the center where it is bolted in?

- amyn

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
qbcsvt said:
Looks awesome. I haven't had a chance to get a sheet to start mine! I'm going to use Dibond.

Are you going to reinforce the front of the splitter with rods? Or is it connected to the crux lip? Is it strong enough from the front of the splitter to the center where it is bolted in?

- amyn
The frame goes all the way under the bumper cover. It is not attached to the bumper at all.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Actually, for a "functional" splitter, it would necessitate a solid, or at least aerodynamically "closed" connection between the splitter and the front lip/air dam. The purpose of the splitter is to force the air above the splitter to be redirected around/over the car. With the gaps between the splitter and the lip, air is still allowed to flow in between and thus, under the car. I do like the design, though. Mated to a full flat belly and a slight angle (lower at the nose, slightly higher in the rear), combined with side skirts maintaining an even gap from the skirt to the road (front to rear), would make an effective aero improvement.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Alumalite would have been nice. I used good old plywood. Seems to work well on the car though as the front is planted, but I do have wide tires up front that help.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
HI guys

That looks very well constructed, I have never heard of alumalite is it expensive? Can you feel a noticable difference?

Im pretty new to aerodynamic stuff, however I am planning a complete strip down and rebuild of my mr2 this coming winter for its 21st birthday!

I am learning so if anyone can help me out that would be great with any info.

I am wanting to fit a functional front splitter and rear diffuser, however, I love the totally stock look of an mr2 and want to keep it as close to that as possible, how do you determine how much the splitter sticks out around the front for optimal effect?

From what I understand it causes more downforce at the front to give you more grip which is what im looking for.

Im not 100% sure on how a rear diffuser works exactly, im assuming you flatten the underside of the car so the air is drawn underneath and then diffused at the rear causing the car to be pulled to the ground because of moving air pressure?

I have always had the underneath of the engine bay open as I like to get air flow up through it, I do realise im going to have to loose this to have a functional setup which is a shame, but im thinking of having the rear quarters modified at the same time to give me larger air intakes.

Sorry for going off a bit!

Graeme

·
Premium Member
567 Posts

Rear wing was junk so I got rid of it. Working on something new here right now to replace that. I added a flat spoiler plastic to my duct bill type on my trunk lid. Not sure why type it is as it came on the car and seems to work, I guess. I also added a rear diffuser I made out of a MR2 hood and inverted it, welded on some 6mm bolts to the cross member and nutted it on. I think it worked. It got ripped off the car when a spin at like 100mph into an armco backwards took it off the car. I have another spare hood I will make one out of this weekend once I have time. Bigger and better. Debating on covering the underside of the engine to make the transition smoother under there. It is easy to get to the engine as needed now. I might also make the front splitter like 1/2 lower, but it sure is hard enough now getting it off and on the trailer. Front end sure seems to grip well with 265/40/17's and the splitter. The splitter really seems to work well when nice and low. I am always trying different things to pull more G's and go faster.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Awesome. I am going to have to build one since I have not seen one to buy. Anything to make it stable at speeds over 80 mph.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts