MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then I cut the nose off at the front of the front frunk firewall. Second crash. the metal was weak and too bent. 50 pounds of metal has been pulled off.

New 1.75" OD x .095 tube front bumper

I have a plastic welder. I welded up the rips in the nose. The top part is MR2 while the lower section is 7th gen Celica.

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The upper frunk section was cut out as it was basically useless and bent. I am mounting the radiator inside the frunk. This will protect it better than sitting outside in the frunt.
I welded on a new radiator upper support using 1.5" OD .095 roll bar tube. This is welded to the side sheet metal and to the frame rail.

I cut the hood vent further back. The strut bar is now the support for this section.

I spread the flaps wider on the box section. This is made from thin steel. once I get the radiator mounts finalized I'll weld it in place and finish it so it is pretty. The rad is an older crash damaged one I am using for mock ups. The new Mishimoto is in the mail.

The rad sits further back.

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
re-did the hoses for the new radiator placement. going to use MK1 MR2 upper radiator support.

The splitter was destroyed. So needing new turn buckles. More plywood. and a few bits of metal. Which are all on their way via UPS and FedEx.

I purchased a bunch of NASCAR splitters a few years ago. Here is Dale JRs.

The splitter supports and radiator feed will all be built using 1" square tube. This tube structure will support the splitter and the new side dive plates.
The whole nose will be able to be quickly pulled off with dsus fasteners being used extensively.

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it would help with cooling as you cause the air to slow down and capture more heat. I don't really need that as this car is over cooled at the moment. But I also have not finalized the radiator mounting. Still waiting for the new one to arrive. The one I am testing with is shaped like a banana.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Nice car by the way, I was at Watkins Glenn Saturday and thought the car looked like it was running very strong until you had exhaust and alternator trouble. A couple of my friends where riding along with the 187 CRX.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Neither was mine, I rode out with a friend because I worked third shift the night before. I didn't want to take a chance with my car or my son on the way home.

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did some more welding. I was going to bolt the assembly to the chassis, but I had issues with some drills. So I just welded it to the frame ends.

Primed the tubes. Installed the new radiator.

Tow hook adapter made. Just need to weld onto the bar.

Waiting to get a bunch of brackets in the main. Once I have those the nose will get a new frame made from 1" square tube. This will also work as a frame for the radiator ducting and the splitter mount. I'll also work the sheet metal of the hood to make it straight again. Unless someone has a fiberglass hood they want to donate? :)

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
we run the car in one lemons race a year and the rest in Chump. Lemons poo-poo'ed my front end. So I have a new stock front end I'll weld on once I get back from racing our other car at New Hampshire next week. Kinda sucks. But I am not too bothered by it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bill Strong said:
we run the car in one lemons race a year and the rest in Chump. Lemons poo-poo'ed my front end. So I have a new stock front end I'll weld on once I get back from racing our other car at New Hampshire next week. Kinda sucks. But I am not too bothered by it.
Not to be too nosy but why did Lemons say no and Chump say yes? My experience with both is that Lemons pays less attention to safety equipment and more on cars being "stock" while Chump even goes so far as to check roll cage welds and safety equipment but care less about parts and pieces so long as the car is solid and not dropping fluids or parts on the track.

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok... over the three day weekend I used the nose from a wrecked MK2 and rebuilt from there...

I cut the tube framed nose off..

Prepping the bumper horns...

ends cut to overlap, weld plus tow bolts to hold everything in

welded in...

Brackets to hold radiator support and nose.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts