MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so at the begining of summer I had a ct20b, 550's, ats rail, and SDR isntalled on my car.

And let me tell you, this thing felt FAST. Even before it was properly tuned. So long story short, the engine blew up.

So while swapping motors, I put on a t3/t4 .63 a/r 46 trim turbo on ith 2.5" dp hks wastegate and upgraded to the hydra nemesis 2.

This setup feels WAY slower than the ct20b did. Spools by like 4500rpm!!!!! and stops pulling by 5500rpm.

Anybody have any ideas? BTW it's on the base 550cc map. So I know it's rich. But the ct20b on teh stock 550 sdr map was FAST.

Could I have a leak or something? I know I have a exhaust leak on the greddy PEX mid pipe. it's a turbonetics t3/t4. and I had to rotate the compressor to make it fit (there's bolts that come loose) could it be there?

And not that it's a good way to messure thing... But the spool sound is so uiet compared to my ct26, and ct20b.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You have changed the VE it needs to be retuned if not done so already.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
sounds like you need a 5sfe ;)
lol j-k, get a boost leek check on it and see if there is a leek...

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
As Justin said, you changed the Ve, and didn't retune. The original map you had was probably more optimal for the 20b than your new turbo. You need to quit driving the car until you have it professionally tuned. If you are lucky, you haven't already damaged the engine.

How someone could have over 2000 posts on this board and not know about having to retune for Ve changes is beyond me.

Ken

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ramicio said:
the butt dyno is telling you it is slower because the torque kicks in later?

yea it's my butt dyno. But seriously.its' slower. Like it feels 1/2 as fast.....

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KBlake said:
As Justin said, you changed the Ve, and didn't retune. The original map you had was probably more optimal for the 20b than your new turbo. You need to quit driving the car until you have it professionally tuned. If you are lucky, you haven't already damaged the engine.

How someone could have over 2000 posts on this board and not know about having to retune for Ve changes is beyond me.

Ken

I'm not using the same map. it's

ct20b/SDR 550 map VS t3/t4 nemesis 550 map both untuned.

p.s I know I need ot get it tuned, it's parked right now. I just don't want to spend $500 for tuning to find out it's slow. lol

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
ek9max said:
I'm not using the same map. it's

ct20b/SDR 550 map VS t3/t4 nemesis 550 map both untuned.

p.s I know I need ot get it tuned, it's parked right now. I just don't want to spend $500 for tuning to find out it's slow. lol

The base maps are for getting the car from your garage to the dyno, to be tuned. They are not intended to drive on.

:goodluck:

Ken

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
ek9max said:
Yeah that's a huge loss when your going to spend another 2000 to rebuild your un-tuned motor.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
depends on what you're expectations are when you got the t3/t4. if you thought you'd still feel the g's from the torque kicking in then obviously it'll "feel slower". a smother powerband will also cause it to "feel" slower because power is gradually increased. The only way you'll relaly know what's up is tune it. dyno it. if you get subpar #s, then there's probably something wrong.

*it's like something asking you for help lifting a "heavy HEAVY box." so you havea mindset of what you "should" expect. But you end up throwing the box through the roof because you exerted too much force*

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok ok ok. I knew I'd have lots of people telling me to get it tuned. I know I should have, but I didn't have the time to get it done. So temptation got to me and I boosted it a few times. I figured it was rich enough to be somewhat safe.

And ye sI know it's slower than my ct20b was by a LONG SHOT. I booted around with my friend (stock ct26 @ 15psi) and he DUSTED me. From a roll on a back road in teh country. Pulled from me like I was N/A. So trust me when I say it is slower. I've had 2 mr2's and 4 different turbos.

So I'm just looking ot you guys for help in finding a solution to my problem. I've spent a lot of money to have a car tha tis slower than a 200hp integra. LOL

So I'll try the boost leak finder first and go from there. Maybe something just needs to be tightened.

Any othe rsuggestions?

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
The solution is to get it tuned. We're not just picking on you for not tuning it. An untuned car will be FAR slower than a tuned one. After I bolted on my RMR, before it was retuned, power was down in some parts of the curve, and up in others, but I didn't feel any big increase until we retuned it. After retuning I picked up 40RWHP!.

Ken

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
KBlake said:
The solution is to get it tuned. We're not just picking on you for not tuning it. An untuned car will be FAR slower than a tuned one. After I bolted on my RMR, before it was retuned, power was down in some parts of the curve, and up in others, but I didn't feel any big increase until we retuned it. After retuning I picked up 40RWHP!.

Ken

Yea I'm gonna check for boost leaks, and sovle that if I have any. Then I'm gonna get it tuned.

Too bad I have nobody in my city that even knows what a 3sgte is.... Let alone a Nemesis! ha ha.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts