MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
dam good luck with this project.. i once thought about the 3vzfe but havent come to a conclusion on wat the next step would be on my 2.. i kno i wanna stay N/A tho.. i'll give it sum thought but good work on the 5s again n good luck on this project

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Not exactly, blown. Just the rod bolts can't hold the power and eventually stretch; this leads to increased bearing wear -> rod knock -> stretched rods -> eventually a rod out the side of the block if left unchecked.

However, the rods or bolts must have been redesigned in the 98+ 5sfe, because Pressure2 doesn't seem to have this problem. I believe that only the earlier 5sfe are prone to this, as the 98+ have a redesigned block, better oil pump, and metal gasket from the factory (probably many other design improvements we don't know of yet).

VPBOMBER said:
most of the people that turbo the 5s have blown it up so na im looking towars the 3vz but the gen 3 is tempting as well

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
not to dig this thread for no reason just an update on what im doing. Of course when i begin it im starting a new thread but i decided to leave the red one alone lol.

For the v6 project i bought a blue mr2

Sold to me as a shell but it was a minor fuel leak so its a good car with only 100k miles on the chassis. Cant wait to dig in!

Im starting to like the no spoiler look

·
Registered
6 Posts
im having to rebuild my 5s, i lost compression in two cylenders. but i lister out a whole mess of parts from topline. and they have 91mm rods, 91mm pistons, matching 91mm head. and of course the whole rebuild kit that has everything in it. and i was wondering if going with the larger 91mm would be worth it or should i stay with the stock 87mm setup ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
you can find all the parts on mr2.nopi.com, they have every part and the company who makes it, i can pretty much get 91mm everything for the 5s on there

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was wondering for the jacking the car up process what precoutions you took and how you lifted the car so high

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
hello everybody, new mr2 owner, engine is completely oem.

my car barely passed california smog compliancy and the shop recommended i rebuild the motor.

while checking through ebay i found various kits to rebuild the motor like this one - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95-2-2-L-Toyota-MR2-Celica-5SFE-Engine-Rebuild-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ca4264518QQitemZ260452009240QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

while looking for a crankshaft this came up New 5SFE to 3SGTE Crankshaft to make 5SGTE 2.2L - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-5SFE-3SGTE-Crankshaft-make-5SGTE-2-2L-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230316d606QQitemZ150375683590QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

i'm assuming that this crank will allow the use of 3sgte piston rods? if thats the case, can't we use these rods already?

i've seen mr. turrarri recommend using 3sgte rods on rebuilds.

currently looking for a place and people to help me with the rebuild. i haven't hit up any mr2 functions but i plan to do so in the near future.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Just get another used 5s and toss it in...ppl give out 100k 5s motors for free.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
brobin89 said:
you can find all the parts on mr2.nopi.com, they have every part and the company who makes it, i can pretty much get 91mm everything for the 5s on there
I dont think its worth going 91mm cause you'd have to pay to get it bored out and you wont really get much in return.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
ZMR2 said:
I was wondering for the jacking the car up process what precoutions you took and how you lifted the car so high
After the engine was on the ground the place where the drivers/passengers mount goes i put the chain there and put the bolt that holds the motor there and so the chain was bolted to the chassis there. After that i hooked the chain to the hoist and lifted it up and away. Be sure that if you have the car on ramps that the ramps are facing frontward because the car is going to want to roll backward. Chuck the front wheels reguardless. It will get up there. Then pull the motor or push the motor the opposite side of the hoist.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
campos said:
i'm in los angeles, if i could find a free block(i'd pay some $ for it), i'd take it right away.

i want to rebuild the motor with performance parts ala mr. turrari.

finding a close to free 5s block would make it easier.

I understand wanting to create performance parts during the rebuild but if you are going to buy a 5sgte crank you should look into buying a 3s head (with manifolds and turbo setup) and put it on the block and might as well make it a 5sgte.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I understand that this thread is old but I'd like to point out that I see that all the connecting rod caps and main bearing caps 2, 4 & 5 are all backwards... I'd just thought I'd mention that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but I have a question that others my relate to. Looking to pick up a '93 NA MR2 with 200K on the engine, and am thinking about doing a rebuild as an interim step (so I have a car to drive) while I build a 3SGTE off to the side for an eventual swap. Trying to craft a plan as much as I can before I buy the car in order to not find myself in a money pit project.

My plan is to rebuild the engine similar to the OP. Given the high mileage, should I:
  • Take the head and block to a machine shop and have it decked, etc. (No idea how much that would run)?
  • Purchase a new short-black and re-use the head (~$800 from MABBCO)?
  • Rebuild as is using new parts similar to OP, and hope the block holds together?
Just trying to balance allocating resources to this interim rebuild versus the end-stage 3SGTE build. Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

61 - 79 of 79 Posts