MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a rod knock in my 5sfe and decided it's 3sgte time.

Sorry for the picture size. Most forums auto resize the pics and the 5 pic limit per post is rather annoying.

Here is the diamond in the rough :/

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disassembly

Had to take the trans off first because the pallet was weak sauce and was breaking when me and my friends where trying to lift it off the truck. They loaded it up with a forklift so the weight is properly distributed on the forks.

Then took the off the mani, turbo, dp/cat.

More disassembly...yummy grime

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I thought it was kinda neat how the previous owner stitched the upper timing cover lol. Lets just say I wont be reusing that mod haha.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then it was brought to the machine shop where the;

Everything was hot tanked

The head was rebuilt w/3 angle valve job, milled .010'' for flatness and gen3 cams were added (10whp bolton). Also had a severely stripped exhaust mani thread in the head that had to be welded up and tapped/threaded.

The cylinders were scored and tapered, so they were overbored .020" for the Wisecos which also bumped cr up to about 9.2:1

Crank was free of run outs so it just had the journals polished

The complete rotating assembly was balanced

Flywheel was resurfaced

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Assembly

Bare

Squirters

ACL Race mains and thrust washers

Crank sits in its home for a little while....you will see what I mean later lol

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I get this far in the build and Im realizing I didnt measure the rings. cause I thought they were drop ins. Well looking at the rings box they are file to fit. Im using new JE rings on used Wiseco pistons (less than 3k miles)

So I take the head off and take a piston out and put the ring in the bore right where it should be at the point of IGNITION not all the way down the bore. I measure and theres absolutely no gap. Since I dont have a ring file I had to strip it down and bring it back to the machine shop.

So I tell them what I want the rings at and they get them filed down and assemble the pistons into the block. They didnt have to touch the crank since I already installed and torqued it and decided not to strip the motor down that far.

So I get the motor back from the machine shop second time and. I pull out 1 pistons to see if the rings were clocked in the correct positions....
Of course they arent. So I did them the way they should be.

Then torqued down the rods and made sure the crank was still torqued...all good.

So while I was waiting for my motor I decided to clean some parts up and give them some paint

Before

Coolant neck

Turbo

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay so this should get you all current on the engine assembly.

Assembly part 2

Coolant pipe with new o-ring and gasket

I found out my oil cooler was clogged. Since I read it was a common issue on UNMAINTAINED 3s or even 5s I decided to blow on one of the inlets on the oil cooler. That bad boy was clogged like a mofo. No matter how much brake cleaner I sprayed it wouldnt unclog.

Good oil cooler plate and oil cooler with new o-rings and gaskets

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Oil cooler inlet pipe with new gasket. Make sure to keep this loose so you can install the Hose From Hell.

Water neck with new o-ring and gasket

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hose From Hell on Earth

Oil Pan with fresh paint

Exhaust mani with fresh super hi temp paint and all new Toyota oval nuts, bad studs replaced, and new exhaust gaskets

Turbo with new turbo-mani gasket.....jizz in my pants

1 - 20 of 61 Posts