MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my 2's idle is jacked up, a little help....

My cars idle has always been a little high, it would usually idle around 1k, not bad really, but my car started this wierd idle, it will sit at around 1200 then rev up to 2,000 then quickly drop back to 1200, anybody have any idea what this could be?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would start by checking your vacume hoses and their connections.

·
Registered
660 Posts
:alert: I have the same problem. It just happens not all the time sometimes its ok.. sometimes it creeps up to 2000 and drops back down other times it will idle at 1500 its all over the place and I've ran out of things to check?!

this happens at normal operating temps and it doesnt matter what temp it is outside..

·
Registered
244 Posts
yes i was just about to post the same problem, the guy who sold me the car told me i should replace it, it rough idles around 1k just a little higher to 1.5, also sometimes when i put the clutch in, and place it into first without letting out the clutch, sometimes the cars sorta jerks, any comments on what this could be or it it the idler?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, like mine is weird, cause it drives fine when im accelerating, but once i get to a red light or somethin' it acts weird, like i wanted to let it warm up this morning, for about 15 minutes and the whole time i heard it acting stupid.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
There's multiple explanations for your bouncing idle speed problem(s). Search this webboard for "bouncing idle" and you'll find several guys' good suggestions. Clearly, you've got too much air entering the throttle body when the throttle is closed. As a result, the ECU is eroneously cutting your fuel injectors every second or two to attempt lower the idle speed temporarily caused by too much air. Whether it's a defective or sticking ISCV, an improperly bled cooling system with air remaining in it, a leaking hose, a malfunctioning throttle position sensor (TPS), a worn (i.e. now smaller diameter) throttle plate which typically requires replacing the throttle body, or something else, you'll have to check. But start by searching for your answer; there's a lot of info on this board.... unfortunately meaning that this problem is rather common but hard to diagnose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts