Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Continued from http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=348509

The bell housing is at the machine shop right now.
Adding two threaded bolt holes for the block/trans interface.

I am going to work on the bell cranks (shifter linkage) when I get it back.

Shouldn't be long. :thumbup

·
Registered
174 Posts
Me too! Can't understand why the threads get locked for length, though - strange policy on this place!!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Long threads cause database corruption, which leads to server crash and makes the forums in general, unstable. At least it's something like that. Don't know if it's due to server hardware or possibly outdated forum software.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I look to get the bell housing tonight.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the bell housing back. The new threaded holes line up perfectly :)
-- So now I have 6 bolts and two dowel pins.

I ordered new input and output shaft bearings, which will be here tomorrow.

Then I will get the trans back together. Shift linkage stuff is being worked on.

I anticipate first start up in a week or so... crossing fingers.

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
uspspro said:
Got the bell housing back. The new threaded holes line up perfectly :)
-- So now I have 6 bolts and two dowel pins.

I ordered new input and output shaft bearings, which will be here tomorrow.

Then I will get the trans back together. Shift linkage stuff is being worked on.

I anticipate first start up in a week or so... crossing fingers.
rock on, we can't wait! :thumbup

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Working on the shift linkage.

My machinist and I made a hybrid selector arm out of the original S51 piece and the Spyder piece. Since the pin holding it on the shaft was different and on the opposite side, we used the portion of the arm with the pin from the S51 and the rest from the Spyder piece.

The resulting piece was a slightly deeper (longer on the shaft) than the S51 piece, so a little collar bored on the inner side and it fits perfect. Also cut a grove in the the new piece so it can grab the end of the dust boot.

The rest of the shift linkage is a bit crazy. There are enough bosses to avoid having to weld anything to the case, but the brackets are going to be tricky. The cables will have to come over the starter rather than under, as the proper distance from the cable stop to the levers puts the bracket right at the starter.

I swear I will get some pictures. But I am moving soon and have been running around crazy.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah... side note.

An oblong metal pellet shaped thing fell out of the gearbox. Looks too small to be a dowel pin.

Anyone have any idea?

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
uspspro said:
Oh yeah... side note.

An oblong metal pellet shaped thing fell out of the gearbox. Looks too small to be a dowel pin.

Anyone have any idea?
we're definitely going to need a picture. but i bet it has something to do with the shift linkage. otherwise it may be a synchro components. but "pellet" doesn't give me much to go on.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gouky said:
detents are usually all ball-bearings
Correct. It's not from the detents, I checked.

Imagine an oval shaped bearing. :p

I'll try and get a pic tonight.

·
Driving MR2s since '89
4,034 Posts
Hmmm... I think I saw something like that when I had my S51 apart. Perhaps something to do with the reverse gear arm. I have this vague memory of fighting with keeping something like that in place while I re-installed the reverse gear accuator or some such. :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JimKing said:
Hmmm... I think I saw something like that when I had my S51 apart. Perhaps something to do with the reverse gear arm. I have this vague memory of fighting with keeping something like that in place while I re-installed the reverse gear accuator or some such. :dontknow:
I had the rev gear arm off, and it is tricky to keep in place while installing.

You might be right.

In any case, here are two pics of it...

·
Registered
677 Posts
that definately goes into the inside of the reverse selector arm, the hollow portion that goes on the selector shaft. As for putting everything back in, yea its a pita. I had my brother holding two of the gear sets, i was handling one while also trying to place the reverse arm in the right place at the same time. it seems easiest if everything goes back together at once. Make sure to rotate the reverse gear housing so the lock bolt can go through (i forgot to do this and ended up taking everything back off)

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.