MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
its the heat from the exhaust manifold that affects it.
Gotcha. I would ceramic coat the exhaust manifold. I did on my build. As well as the exhaust piping and hot side of the turbo. Should manage temps a bit better. I used cerakote as it comes in a spray form and just takes 5 days to air dry.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

supercharger better seated. it seems as if the starter is stopping it from sitting right, the tC's starter has a much much smaller solenoid, I need to figure out how to fit that on, they should have the same bolt pattern and teeth count.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Saw the other thread of people basically telling you this was an awful idea. I'm glad you're pressing on anyway! And you're local too, I'd love to check it out some time.

I think if you can get one more bolt in the bottom right corner you should be fine with only 4 bolts, I recently did a clutch in a civic and it literally only has 5 bell housing bolts from the factory. I think to achieve this you could weld some extra material to the edge of the transmission then drill through at one or two of the mounting points of the engine to get an extra bolt or two in there. The best part of using an e153/s54 tranny is that 3 of the 4 motor mounts are done and you can just use stock axles which will simplify a LOT. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Saw the other thread of people basically telling you this was an awful idea. I'm glad you're pressing on anyway! And you're local too, I'd love to check it out some time.

I think if you can get one more bolt in the bottom right corner you should be fine with only 4 bolts, I recently did a clutch in a civic and it literally only has 5 bell housing bolts from the factory. I think to achieve this you could weld some extra material to the edge of the transmission then drill through at one or two of the mounting points of the engine to get an extra bolt or two in there. The best part of using an e153/s54 tranny is that 3 of the 4 motor mounts are done and you can just use stock axles which will simplify a LOT. Best of luck to you!
Yea after a bunch of research I had decided to just jump on it.

but yea since I can afford it I am going to be picking up an E153 here in a couple weeks to mount it to, it should go in fine. there is a guy with an E153 in his scion tC

·
Registered
321 Posts
I don't if you know this but the TC TRD supercharger has been discontinued for some time and it is hard to find parts for it. When I was working at the Toyota dealership there was a supercharged TC and the parts department could not find replacement parts. If I remember right the bearing in the shaft that runs to the pulley for the drive belt was making noise.

·
Registered
20,018 Posts
I don't if you know this but the TC TRD supercharger has been discontinued for some time and it is hard to find parts for it. When I was working at the Toyota dealership there was a supercharged TC and the parts department could not find replacement parts. If I remember right the bearing in the shaft that runs to the pulley for the drive belt was making noise.
Only needs to last through bar testing ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
yea but the maintenance parts like bearings and seals are used on all other vortech units, so they arent hard to find at all.

I am in talks with someone to buy a whole TRD kit for $450

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I weighed everything going into the car today.

Longblock
Exhaust
Intake with throttle body
TRD supercharger
Alternator

235Lbs

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
oh, after much money lost in buying ECUs, I have decided to wire in the immobilizer stuff.

which is set for delivery today... cept the guy didnt include the transponder chip with the key cause the key is broken... going to have to wait for that in the mail

·
Registered
110 Posts
Does the key shank have a dot or G stamped on it? There's really only 2 types of Toyota transponder key. Come visit Toyota of berkeley tomorrow and I'll hook you up on a new key. It'll have to be programmed of course so if the seller can send you the transponder that's already programmed to it that would be easier.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
he said he would mail it out, but has became un responsive, he sent me a pic of the housing with the chip in it, he didnt know what it was.

how much is it to get that programmed and all that? cause a key is like $10 online lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
he said he would mail it out, but has became un responsive, he sent me a pic of the housing with the chip in it, he didnt know what it was.

how much is it to get that programmed and all that? cause a key is like $10 online lol
Transponder key is typically like $42, I can probably get that down to like $25-ish and if you bring me that key shank I can try to copy the cut on it. I already know the techs won't want to touch the programming, you'd have to be completely done with your wiring and tow the car in, even then I think it's like $200 to program it when they have to "re-seed" it which they do if you don't have an existing key that can programmed off of. A mobile locksmith may be able to come to you and do this, but again you'd have to have all the wiring already done with a functional OBD2 port. I think there's a way to program a key without a scanner, but it involves opening/shutting doors, pressing gas pedal, etc. If you don't have a BCM wired up to see all that I don't think it'll work. You could maybe figure out which wires need to see what voltage in which order and just apply voltage to the wires in the right sequence.

I think for some of the older Toyota transponder systems (like 98-02) you can buy the transponder computer, ignition switch, and key together as a package which should already be programmed. I don't know if it'll be compatible with your ECU though.

Does megasquirt + a hot smog sound cheaper yet ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
yea I have everything preliminarily wired up, waiting on that transponder that I hope he mailed out yesterday

and yea there are no self learning things I can do with the car, unless I swapped everything into a borrowed TC and program it that way..

I dont know why he isnt responding, it wouldnt take much to mail that out and I offered to pay for the shipping

and how do I wire up an LED light for the indicator with one wire? do I put the other on a ground?

heres the shot of the last piece he needs to mail lol

also I bought a $600 'non immobilized' ECU from walnut creek toyota, they wont return it for nothing, is that a standard policy?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
also

1. Start with the following conditions: You are in the drivers seat-
a. Key is out of the ignition
b. Driver door is open (all other doors closed)
c. Driver door is unlocked (other doors don't matter)
2. Insert and remove the key from the ignition twice within 5 seconds
3. Close and open the drivers door twice within 40 seconds
4. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it.
5. Close and open the drivers door twice within 40 seconds
6. Insert the key into the ignition
7. Close the door
8. Turn the key in the ignition on and then off.
9. Remove the key from the ignition
10. The power locks should automatically cycle once to indicate that you have successfully entered program mode.
11. Within 40 seconds of the entering program mode:
a. Press both transmitter lock and unlock buttons SIMULTANEOUSLY for a duration of from 1 to 1.5 seconds.
b. Within 3 seconds, press the transmitter lock button for more than 1 second and release.
c. If the transmitter has been successfully programmed, the power locks will automatically cycle once. If they cycle twice, the remote has not been accepted.
d. If multiple remotes are to be programmed, repeat steps A-C
12. Open drivers door

for the door open and key out and key on positions, could I similate that by applying 12v to the correct pins on the transponder key ECU?

·
Registered
110 Posts
also I bought a $600 'non immobilized' ECU from walnut creek toyota, they wont return it for nothing, is that a standard policy?
Yep, electrical parts are non-returnable.

Some news that may make you happy though. This is the transponder chip in the key:

EDIT: I just realized that's the part you DON'T have. Not the part you do have... Maybe it won't make you so happy then...

41 - 60 of 73 Posts