MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

got the pedal and the mount adapter today, great quality.

I was wondering if I could just hook up a Y pipe adapter to the radiator hose to the radiator cap in the engine bay?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
but I really need to figure out this fuel system, I initially was going to have a custom line made up to run from the on rail regulator to the MR2s Fuel Filter and keep the stock fuel pump (it can handle the 2.4 right?) then just plug the fuel return line, I've already removed the charcoal canister.

but to pass California SMOG/BAR I need to have the OEM intank fuel regulator????

I dont even know how to fit it, or if it will fit in the MR2 tank, maybe I need the scion tc pump??

I was also thinking of fitting a scion tc fuel filter instead of creating a custom line with the quick disconnect but this thing looks weird, maybe I need to find a compatible external fuel filter??

someone please lay it down for me the best, simplest course of action with all OEM parts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good pics on that mount area. Lots more room than I thought. Maybe you could take the oe mount and flip upside down to go through the bracket of 2az.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Good pics on that mount area. Lots more room than I thought. Maybe you could take the oe mount and flip upside down to go through the bracket of 2az.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nah its too wide, the circle part of it hits the engine bay, but I found a smaller circle mount that I am working to make it fit

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
This is very interesting, I literally know nothing about these engines so I am very curious to see the end result. Keep it up! :thumbup

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This is very interesting, I literally know nothing about these engines so I am very curious to see the end result. Keep it up! :thumbup
heres a rundown.
170hp/170tq stock
220hp with TRD supercharger
300- 340hp with one of the many turbo kits
about 450hp stock block limit
1500hp power record

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
And where does CARB let you draw the line?
As long as the engine is in a domestically sold car and thus has an emissions profile you can put it into any car and that car will have to meet the emissions requirement of the original car. So, you could throw in a v8 out of a 2007 Vette in your MR2 and your MR2 would have to meet the Vette's (really that engine's) emissions. Any CARB legal add-ons for the that engine would also be legal.

So with the 2AZFE, if it's out of say a 2007 Scion tC his MR2 would have to meet the 2007 Scion tC emissions profile and is legal with any CARB approved add-ons for it. Which is why the supercharger is possible but no turbo chargers as I'm assuming there's not CARB legal turbo kits for that engine at the moment.

This is why you can't "really" have GENIII or GENIV 3S-GTE in your MR2 here in Cali. Those engines were never sold here in the US and so there's no emissions data on them. Now, "turning" a GENIII into something so similar to a GENII by adding the EGR will usually get you past emissions (especially since the newer engines burn fuel better) but you can't do that with a GENIV.

What should matter is what's coming out, or rather what's not coming out ;) , of the tailpipe but it seems to me bureaucracy has prevailed over common sense.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
so this blows hard

so I drilled through the hole to tap it and like a quarter of an inch it gives out to a coolant passage.

might not be able to use the S54 at all, only 3 bolts holding it in and 2 dowel pins?

*Edit this was on my spare block I did this, the one with blown head gasket and rod knock

I still want to use this block so how much pressure does the coolant produce, can I reseal this back up with something like JB weld?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What's it say on your radiator cap? You could give it an NPT tap and then plug it no problem.

O
well I would have to check with what a scion tcs radiator cap says as it might be different.

which reminds me, if the 2AZ has a higher rating I should change the cap as well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yea. That said a full strength steel on steel NPT is good for several thousand psi of pressure. An aluminum on aluminum connection would be only good for 25% of that or so. Still, it's going to be 10 times what radiator pressure is.

The only trick is only tap just barely deep enough that the plug doesn't stand proud.

O

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am an MR2 owner, mechanical engineer, and auto expert, and am very interested in your conversion. I live in Oakland and am in Concord often. I would like to see your project and might be able to give you some useful knowledge.

Vic

[email protected]

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
just picked up a TRD supercharger for $300

I want to look into ideas on how to keep the shaft cool, besides the common header heat shield or wrap, maybe getting it coated in something heat resistant.

I am an MR2 owner, mechanical engineer, and auto expert, and am very interested in your conversion. I live in Oakland and am in Concord often. I would like to see your project and might be able to give you some useful knowledge.

Vic

[email protected]
Sure, if you wanted to come round on a weekend sometime I would be up for that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
just picked up a TRD supercharger for $300

I want to look into ideas on how to keep the shaft cool, besides the common header heat shield or wrap, maybe getting it coated in something heat resistant.
I don't see why you couldn't cerakote or ceramic coat the shaft, not sure if it really generates that much heat though?

21 - 40 of 73 Posts