MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello I am currently putting a 2AZFE all aluminum 2.4 engine in my 91 T tops, its my 3rd MR2 (last one was a turbo and the one before that was NA hardtop)

a little backstory, I heard about these engines from someone and started researching on their capabilities, pretty impressive, seen cars running around 450hp on stock internals and fully built ones easily past 1000hp.

the engine itself is really light, only at 250 lbs, and with the S54 it seems it may be the lightest powertrain to be put in an MR2.

ultimately I think the goal is to turbo it and land at around 320 wheel, but I may just end up with the TRD supercharger and a pulley upgrade for somewhere in the mid 200s, just to stay smog legal.

anyway I ran into someone who put an E153 into his scion tC because he was breaking stock transmissions at 500hp

was told that the transmission bolts up to the engine and the only thing he had to fabricate for it had to do with fitting the rear mounted transmission in the front.

well I am starting to wonder, the flywheel bolts to the engine as they share the same crank bolt pattern and flywheel diameter but the bolt pattern is not optimal..

blue is bellhousing bolts and red is dowel pins.

the most I can get in as mounting points, and the top one I have to tap, one I have to drill and tap, it matches up perfectly to whatever this is.

the other one is a dowel pin hole.

the holes seem mostly one sided, wouldnt that be a problem?

the fuel system is returnless so I need to look into converting the MR2 if SMOG requires me to keep the fuel system from the car the engine comes from.

the exhaust system would need minor modification to fit up to an MR2 exhaust

couple positives to this swap:

after the swap my car should be 24xxlbs just from the engine swap.
the engine has forged and nitrated crank and rods but cast pistons like the 3SGTE, it can handle a decent amount of HP on stock internals
more displacement
new technology: VVTi, coilpacks, timing chain, oil squirters.

450hp on stock internals
1500hp record for this engine so far.
Direct Injection is an option (swap heads)
Really Good Aftermarket for this engine, much better than 1MZ 3VZ and 2GR

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well this is interesting.
First off as a toyota tech I'm going to humm and haw over this engine, and that it is seriously one of the worst toyota has made in years. It's anemic, brittle, doesn't sound too good, and falls apart pretty easy. It's balance shaft gears are made of a resin that like to grenade themselves if revved too fast, or starved for oil. From 06 to '10, this is the engine that toyota has been performing warranty rebuilds of for consuming oil at an alarming rate when using 5/20 motor oil. That said, the earlier ones using 5/30 tend to still run forever though...

ANYWAY. Now that that's out of the way, I think this has the potential to be an interesting swap. Though I would personally highly recommend rebuilding it with forged internals (With the proper coating to work with the aluminum silicon cylinder liners ) The rods are rather small and light, and I've seen a few (turbocharged, of course ) that have thrown a rod through the block. And if you could, see if you could find a place to get proper gear steel balance shaft gears made. Since, you can't really throw the balance shaft assembly in the trash, as it'll shake itself apart. This is no 5sfe.
That said, these engines are so gosh darn common, you could seriously blow one up, then be back on the road in a few days for less than 500 bucks.

So I say do it. Punish that little engine and I will live vicariously through you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First off as a toyota tech I'm going to humm and haw over this engine, and that it is seriously one of the worst toyota has made in years. It's anemic, brittle, doesn't sound too good, and falls apart pretty easy. It's balance shaft gears are made of a resin that like to grenade themselves if revved too fast, or starved for oil. From 06 to '10, this is the engine that toyota has been performing warranty rebuilds of for consuming oil at an alarming rate when using 5/20 motor oil. That said, the earlier ones using 5/30 tend to still run forever though...

ANYWAY. Now that that's out of the way, I think this has the potential to be an interesting swap. Though I would personally highly recommend rebuilding it with forged internals (With the proper coating to work with the aluminum silicon cylinder liners ) The rods are rather small and light, and I've seen a few (turbocharged, of course ) that have thrown a rod through the block. And if you could, see if you could find a place to get proper gear steel balance shaft gears made. Since, you can't really throw the balance shaft assembly in the trash, as it'll shake itself apart. This is no 5sfe.
That said, these engines are so gosh darn common, you could seriously blow one up, then be back on the road in a few days for less than 500 bucks.

So I say do it. Punish that little engine and I will live vicariously through you.
couple different things, as far as strength the motor has been proven up and down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOxNovqPCeM
this guy ran 465whp on stock block for two years.
I have seen builds at 900whp and all the way up to 1200whp.

the balance shafts can be deleted and I have already done so on my spare block being as they grinded themselves out lol, but people have ran without balance shafts with no issues from what I have seen.

and toyota reluctantly did it, the cause of the oil burning has been due to poor oil change schedules, but nonetheless the spare block I will be changing the pistons and rings out as well as putting in ARP head studs so I dont have to deal with the head bolt stripping problem when they overheat.

and the 2AZ has forged crank and rods like the 3SGTE, in the tC version the crank is nitrated as well.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
couple different things, as far as strength the motor has been proven up and down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOxNovqPCeM
this guy ran 465whp on stock block for two years.
I have seen builds at 900whp and all the way up to 1200whp.

the balance shafts can be deleted and I have already done so on my spare block being as they grinded themselves out lol, but people have ran without balance shafts with no issues from what I have seen.

and toyota reluctantly did it, the cause of the oil burning has been due to poor oil change schedules, but nonetheless the spare block I will be changing the pistons and rings out as well as putting in ARP head studs so I dont have to deal with the head bolt stripping problem when they overheat.

and the 2AZ has forged crank and rods like the 3SGTE, in the tC version the crank is nitrated as well.
Links to those 900+ and 1200hp builds? have you consider a 2TRFE? 2.7L iron block, VVTI, coil-pack etc.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Links to those 900+ and 1200hp builds? have you consider a 2TRFE? 2.7L iron block, VVTI, coil-pack etc.
if I want iron block I would just 3SGTE it, this car is going to weigh 24xx lbs and be 30lbs off of 50/50 weight distribution.

http://jotechracing.com/project/tc-—-jotech-racing-tc/
11xxwhp

http://jotechracing.com/project/tc-—-nitto-tc/
alright 740hp sorry, need to find more builds

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/08/taka-aono-the-last-star-fighter/
thats a 2AZ
the only number quoted is 600+hp?

so is this

750HP 780tq

·
Registered
167 Posts
I love the 2AZ-FE. It's an upgrade from a 5S-FE. A HUGE upgrade. It's even an upgrade from the 3S-GTE for street builds. The engine efficiently turns a few PSI into a LOT of power. A few years back a friend of mine had a turbo tC on 14PSI from an Evo 16g. It put out a bit over 300whp (around 320 iirc) on 93 octane tuned with an AEM FIC with a PnP harness for the tC ECU. Stock returnless fuel system with RC injectors, stock intake manifold and throttle body, eBay cast iron manifold with adapter plate and eBay ewg with the turbo's gate welded shut. It was an awesome budget street build.

Don't give up on this, I've always wanted to swap a 2AZ-FE to replace my boosted 5S-FE in my Celica. This thread is like a dream come true.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love the 2AZ-FE. It's an upgrade from a 5S-FE. A HUGE upgrade. It's even an upgrade from the 3S-GTE for street builds. The engine efficiently turns a few PSI into a LOT of power. A few years back a friend of mine had a turbo tC on 14PSI from an Evo 16g. It put out a bit over 300whp (around 320 iirc) on 93 octane tuned with an AEM FIC with a PnP harness for the tC ECU. Stock returnless fuel system with RC injectors, stock intake manifold and throttle body, eBay cast iron manifold with adapter plate and eBay ewg with the turbo's gate welded shut. It was an awesome budget street build.

Don't give up on this, I've always wanted to swap a 2AZ-FE to replace my boosted 5S-FE in my Celica. This thread is like a dream come true.
thanks, yea not a lot of people in the MR2 world know of what the 2AZ can do... mainly cause its a FWD car. but I have done a lot of research for this lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what I want to ask is how do I determine where the engine should sit, its on three of four mounts but the engine can still move quite a bit, do I just make sure the engine is level? or does it not matter as long as its mounted?

·
Registered
1 Posts

I am also a Toyota master tech, and while I agree a lot with this, I do believe this is one of the best engines out there right now. Yes it does have oil consumption issues, but the crank/rods are extremely strong. I would personally get one AFTER 2007. 07 and up they added stronger metal near the rear head bolt area of the block. They had a problem stripping the threads out when overheated slightly. I don't think you will run into a problem with balance shafts, I would try and keep the stock ones and see how they do, your not reving much higher, just pushing more power so I don't see why they would'nt hold up. I think this could be a really great swap/engine build. I will for sure be checking up the thread for sure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey you've got it mostly in already. Very very nice. Right now are you using the s54 or e153? Or have you found a way to fit a TC/camry transmission in there? I think so long as your axles aren't stressed in either direction, you should be good for what ever mount you plan to go for.

Anyway glad to hear a toyota master tech weigh in on this. Though all the toyota masters I speak with at work all have a consensus of how much they dislike the 2az, likely because of all the warranty engine overhauls they have had to do. And I kinda agree. Old grudges, you know.

So, keep it up. I hope to hear a running vid soon.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ask Gouky, he has this set-up
he had a 2AR AW11 if I recall, and his build was thrown together then he sort of moved on without finishing it all the way
Hey you've got it mostly in already. Very very nice. Right now are you using the s54 or e153? Or have you found a way to fit a TC/camry transmission in there? I think so long as your axles aren't stressed in either direction, you should be good for what ever mount you plan to go for.

Anyway glad to hear a toyota master tech weigh in on this. Though all the toyota masters I speak with at work all have a consensus of how much they dislike the 2az, likely because of all the warranty engine overhauls they have had to do. And I kinda agree. Old grudges, you know.

So, keep it up. I hope to hear a running vid soon.
right now its the S54, the engine should bolt up to the later E153, and thats what my built motor will be using

I am also a Toyota master tech, and while I agree a lot with this, I do believe this is one of the best engines out there right now. Yes it does have oil consumption issues, but the crank/rods are extremely strong. I would personally get one AFTER 2007. 07 and up they added stronger metal near the rear head bolt area of the block. They had a problem stripping the threads out when overheated slightly. I don't think you will run into a problem with balance shafts, I would try and keep the stock ones and see how they do, your not reving much higher, just pushing more power so I don't see why they would'nt hold up. I think this could be a really great swap/engine build. I will for sure be checking up the thread for sure.
thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Am I seeing correctly the motor touches the passenger mount on frame? Or is there a little room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
took some better pictures of how much clearance this has.

the previous pictures were without the rear mount hooked up.

I was thinking of using part of the orginal tc mount

any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
also been looking around and see that the rav4/xb timing cover is flat(ish) might work better in this situation?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

just got the exhaust manifold in today, fits great!

alternator came in as well.

and I just got some material to work with for the passenger side mount.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts