MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes, i understand that this should *probably* be in the MS forums section.... however, i'm trying to get Brents attention... because this may be an issue that's a problem

my co-worker (store manager.... i work at schucks) was telling a customer about the foes of the 4.0L ford's ignition system having problems with non oem spark plugs...... ie, the edis6 ignitions....

after perking my insterest (because my aw11 had been having driving problems until i swapped the plugs... one of which looked melted/ground down) we talked about what he was telling the customer (obviously a bit more technical). Turns out that ford claims that the only plug other than the oe motormite plug that can handle the edis waste spark setup is an autolite double platinum. I almost believe this after seeing my ngk plugs start to wither away after only 600 or so miles driven on the motor....

for those that don't know, the edis wasted spark setup actually fires 2 times per cycle.... once at tdc and once at bdc.... which means the spark plug doesn't have as much time to cool down between sparks, causing the cores to stay hotter.....

so.... this really is directed mostly at Brent since he seems to have been running a boosted MS 4ag the longest... what plugs are you using? how long have they been lasting? any woes you've noticed?

also.... the boost issue..... was talking with someone else and i guess the boost can cause the platinum core to crack and come apart.... leaving bits inside your engine....

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Hmm, interesting. Might want to post this in the edis forum over at msefi.com. You'll get more of a responce there. I'm really curious about this.

·
Registered
821 Posts
True wasted spark fires at TDC and BDC.... but doesn't most of the heat come from the combustion and not the spark? Seems like the additional spark shouldn't cause plug overheating problems... Maybe I'm wrong... someone correct me.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
my teacher is a ford master tech.. he went over that problem for a while.. i forgot the specifics, but it was a problem for the edis6.. he never said it was a problem for any of the other edis systems..

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's what i heard as well..... however, it doesn't make sense to be exclusive to the edis6 since they use essentially the same coilpacks, hollifax sensor, geartooth wheel (at least the same number of teeth), etc.... as the edis4....

·
Registered
761 Posts
FoundSoul said:
True wasted spark fires at TDC and BDC.... but doesn't most of the heat come from the combustion and not the spark? Seems like the additional spark shouldn't cause plug overheating problems... Maybe I'm wrong... someone correct me.
Have you ever seen a wire catch on fire?
Electrical current (measured in amps) can cause a great amount of heat.
I dont know the awnser to your question, but i am curious to find out as well.

Max

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Have you tried the edis forum at msefi yet?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
sorry, didn't see it earlier!

I'm running the Denso Iridiums IQ22's, gapped down to .032. They seem to be working quite well for me.

The NGK copper plugs are fine too, what was I using.. ? BCPR7ES ? Only problem is the pre-set gap is really wide, so narrowing them down made the ground electrode slant down at a sharp angle in relation to the center electrode. There might be other NGK models that might come with a narrower gap to start with.

PLEASE no debate about iridums plugs. I'm tired and I would win anyway. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts