MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
MR2 Hoarder
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys...

I drove 17 hours (one way) to Texas last week to have my car tuned at ATS. Just made it back home, so i figured id post the dyno...

Car has an unopened gen3 longlock that was removed from a '98 sw20 clip with TRD LSD

Blitz K3T-R K26 3072 turbo kit w 10.11cm housing
Blitz dsbc, wastegate, bov, tt
Jun IM w/ q45 tb
HKS tapered 4" intake tube w/ k&n tundra filter
Phoenix Power ic
Walboro 255
Sard 850s
Stock ignition
Fujitsubo exhaust
Power fc tuned by ATS

Ive read a lot over the years about the old school Blitz K3T turbo kits made for many Japanese cars and i wanted one since lots of the parts on my car are made by Blitz (z1 technospeed rims, zz-r coilovers, bov, wastegate, dsbc, and turbo timer) and I really appreciate authentic, period correct performance parts. Its cool to think some crazy japanese dude could have put together basically this same set up over 10 years ago now. I previously had a smaller version of the turbo (k1 380v) that was similar to an upgraded ct20b that i sold off since it was too small for my power goals (as close to 400 as i could get) I later found this version which was one of the larger turbos Blitz made for the 3sgte from the research I did. Ive never seen any dynos however, so no one was quite sure what kind of power it would make. This chart was my best guess when we strapped it down to the dyno.

The car put down 426 HP and 369 [email protected] bar (26psi) Tuned on e85. Needless to say I'm very happy with my MR2 now. A little laggy compared to todays turbos, but not too bad for old school turbo technology. :thumbup
The guys at ATS are awesome. Thanks again guys. Can't say enough about how knowledgeable and professional they were, which was a large departure from the totally incompetant douchebag at Bold Performance in Tampa (mr2driver) whos general incompetance has come back to bite me several times already and whos total lack of tuning knowledge blew my last motor up.

Video of dyno run....
http://youtu.be/nY_oyGhKZjA

·
Don't mess with Texas
19,880 Posts
426WHP on 850's on E85? What's the duty cycle?
Actually with raised fuel pressure guys have got close to 500whp on E85. Not ideal at all though.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Wow nice power curve and af ratio.

·
MR2 Hoarder
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Yes still has stock cams. Really surprised to see that the gen3 cams held up to redline even at this power level...I can't even put into words how happy I am with the car now.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Nice results

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Looking good Stu! I'm sure it's way fun to drive. The low end drivability with the JUN IM is awesome and about as close to stock as possible. The manifold really helps up top as well. Id be willing to bet it made up for the stock cams in your top end power. Either way I'm glad you got your hands on that one. I was able to get 2 of them from Japan a few years ago. This one and the one I had on my car for years. My buddy had this one on his gen3 setup that was pretty close to what you have 3076, cams, and Phoenix Power Exhaust manifold. He made 485 whp on E85 with it. I'm sure you'd benefit quite a bit by adding cams down the line. Good work!

·
MR2 Hoarder
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Awesome man, I remember my first ride with less than 300whp. This must feel great!
Thanks Matt. Next time you're in town hit me up and we can go for a ride. Maybe even a cruise with the 94 if you bring it back with you.

Absolutely its a blast to drive now Ben. After all the setbacks this past year it sure feels great to have the car back on the road again. It feels and sounds just like a stock mr2 until you get into boost. Then it just gets silly. I ditched the blitz nur spec in favor of the fujisubo and I love it.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Stu,
Totally missed this thread, glad your enjoying the car, and it was nice to catch up again. I guess your trailer lights didn't let you down. :)

·
MR2 Hoarder
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the nice comments guys. And yeah Scott the trailer lights held up great. Thanks again to you and Aaron for taking the time to eliminate that stress from my ride home. It meant a lot.
I'm in Tampa Florida btw jasboy.

·
MR2 Hoarder
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
2 month update...
Unfortunately the car has been down for much of the past two months due to small issues. I had to replace the Blitz wastegate diaphragm as the old one was torn to pieces and the car was over boosting. Looking back, its a small miracle that the old diaphram was even able to hold boost for the dyno runs. I did a lot of research after finding out that Blitz no longer produced the diaphram but the HKS and Greddy wastegates all used the same diaphram. After placing a special order with HKS through RHD Japan, and a six week wait...it finally arrived!

we finally got it situated and its holding boost rock solid again.

I also installed the CRW axle upgrades as a precautionary measure...ive read too many horror stories to risk it at this point. Thanks again to Josh at CRW for the advice and ultra fast shipping.
Loving the car now. Its a great feeling to get in the car and go for a ride anytime i want after all those years of planning and dreaming what owning a 400+ hp MR2 would be like...

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
^good stuff!

The end goal for my mr2 is also ~400whp but on pump gas 94 with water/method injection for safety.

Cheers. Sounds like you're having lots of fun.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts