MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a snowy region and I'm wondering how bad the MR2 is in the snow. There are several 2nd gens in a town south of mine, and I've seen some guys homepage where he tried to identify a sticker that was on his car when he imported it from Japan, another viewer identified it as being a college sticker from a prefecture that was known for its heavy snowfall and bad winter conditions. So I guess my question is, is it driveable during winter going slow with the correct tires?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
To answer your question, yes, with REAL snow tires (not all seasons) and if your careful you will be ok, but its not best for sure

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
MR2s dominate the snow with proper tires. Just be careful.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i live at 8000 ft in the mountains and my car rules in the snow.it handles very well and gets great traction, lots of sideways action. the only time i get stuck is when the snow is above the bumper. you must have snow tires and turn down the boost.traction is not as good as a 4wd car, but much better than alot of front drive cars, just like the drag strip.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
with non-snow tires, the MR2 sucks. My car doesnt move for crap in the snow... so i choose to drive my 91 G20 beater.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Umm...never allow boost to hit suddenly. In other words, don't do full throttle even if you think there's enough traction. Hitting boost in 3rd gear on a residential street with little snow and some deicing salt was a bad experience just recently. By the time i knew it, the poor girl was stuck off road facing the other direction.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
i'd say why drive it at all, but for some it may be your only car. there was a time when i had to drive mine in the snow (without snow tires).
just use your head when doing it ... feather small, smooth throttle applications, allow yourself PLENTY of braking space and be EXTRA, EXTRA, EXTRA vigilant with the idiots with whom you have to share the road.

however, i'd agree with those that posted before me ... get the snow tires!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
haha, i brave the roads with summer only tires... whoot!

yokohama AVS ES100s dont really like to grip the snow

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Man, I don't know what some of you guys are talking about - the MR2 is by far the WORST CAR I HAVE EVER DRIVEN in the snow, and I've never driven a FWD car. My '67 mustang was worlds better. I like the MR2 for a lot of things, but frankly snow or even fairly heavy rain and I pull the heck over - not worth going off in a ditch (or worse). I wouldn't get an MR2 if I lived in a pretty snowy climate, honestly.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you are a mature driver it is not as bad as people make it sound. I am halfway through the 2nd winter in my 91T and can't complain. I am running Falken Ziex 512's, hardly a snow tire but it has been perfectly manageable. I am also on Sportlines. All in all, yes there are days when it takes a little longer to get to work but I am never the hold up - there are plenty of people in SUV's that drive slower than me in the snow.

For reference, see my "My poor '2 in the snow' thread in the Show & Shine forum.

·
Registered
740 Posts
the MR2 is a great car in the snow due to there being alot of weight on the drive wheels. I wouldn't recomend driving the MR2 in the snow without snow tires though. But with snow tires, it is great! I've driven my MKI through many winters with great success, and I am not driving my 93T in the snow, and i'm loving it (im loving the traction, i'm hating the fact that I'm abusing the car by getting salt on it).

·
Registered
128 Posts
My built for Canada MR2 has a warning sticker stating that you must use snow tires on all four wheels for driving in the snow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts