MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MR2RICH - Track Attack!!
  • After restoring the car to mint condition, I decided to finally take the SW20 out of slumber
  • Been a garage queen for the past few years
  • Drove it maybe 10-20 miles a year
  • I'm getting older now and not sure how long I'll live so I decided to rather than let this rot away. I'm going to enjoy it will I'm still alive.
  • Most likely I'll slowly convert it to another track machine (yes I have another)
  • Insta: @richneerd

• Prepping it for track day!
  • Installing my big wang ;)
  • Oil Change
  • Put in more coolant
  • Tighten all clamps
  • Going to take it easy! not going hard

• Attended Turn8 event at Thunderhill Raceway with a couple of buddies
  • The first session of the day, I blew coolant like a boss!
  • Damn 30-year-old hoses!
  • The day was over for me LOL
  • I did a nice 2:30's for taking it easy though!
  • If I went hard, I could have gotten low 2:20's or even dip into the teens

Repairing and upgrading stuff in the engine bay.... till next track day!

;)

·
Administrator
5,746 Posts
I hope this provides inspiration to others warehousing their deuces to get them out and enjoy them. Because my deuce has been my daily for so long, the amount of SW20 driving experience I have over most owners of these cars is staggering.

Congrats on pulling the car out of hibernation.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope this provides inspiration to others warehousing their deuces to get them out and enjoy them. Because my deuce has been my daily for so long, the amount of SW20 driving experience I have over most owners of these cars is staggering.

Congrats on pulling the car out of hibernation.
Haha! I hope so!

The car sat for so long the tires ate themselves and the flat spot was sooooooooooo bad.

I actually like this setup more than my other car. It hugs corners better and I can full throttle at all hairpins, the rear wing helps a lot!

Current suspension setup:
  • Installed New Front and Rear control arms from MR2Heaven
  • Installed New Suspension Techniques Sway Bars MR2Heaven
  • Installed New Swaybar Endlinks from MR2Heaven
  • Installed New Coilovers from MR2Heaven
  • Installed Urethane Suspension Bushing Kit from MR2Heaven
Thanks for the comments!

It feels good driving the MR2! the amount of head-turning and comments from random people is staggering, I can't stop smiling.

·
Registered
95 Posts
RIght on......... (y) That's the right attitude. Get out and enjoy your MR2, but IMHO, don't turn it into a full blown track car. Leave it the way it is. It looks awesome.

I find myself in the same boat. A lot older now, and not exactly fitting the MR2 owner group age profile at all.

Makes me think about what hoses I should be replacing on my car. I went through the same process of replacing old hoses on my 1992 LN107, and it cost me a small fortune in labor.

Minty AW11SC

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RIght on......... (y) That's the right attitude. Get out and enjoy your MR2, but IMHO, don't turn it into a full blown track car. Leave it the way it is. It looks awesome.

I find myself in the same boat. A lot older now, and not exactly fitting the MR2 owner group age profile at all.

Makes me think about what hoses I should be replacing on my car. I went through the same process of replacing old hoses on my 1992 LN107, and it cost me a small fortune in labor.

Minty AW11SC
Haha thanks!

Yeah, I'll leave it the way it is, it will have a dual purpose.

The daily commute and track car.

For sure! replacing hoses is a must. I'm upgrading to steel brake lines this weekend.

The car should be ready for the next track event in August.

I should have pictures from the event soon!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeez, that looks really good. Nothing like an SW20 at speed. And look how effortlessly it meshes with car designs decades younger, timeless!
Thanks for the comments!

Yeah! she was the celebrity at the event, best looking car there! :ROFLMAO:

Everyone kept walking up, checking it out and asking why does it look so good for its year.

The paint is immaculate! :eek:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

Tearing down the engine bay, got all new intercooler hoses and coolant houses from my buddies at MR2Heaven, they are local to me.

All my gaskets were gone! cracked, broken, soooooo bad.
  • New Turbo Gasket Kit - 04175-74030
  • New Exhaust Manifold Gasket - 1717388381
  • New Valve Cover Gasket - 1121388381
  • Bought new shift bushings
  • Short Shifter Drop Plate
  • Mishimoto Gold Hose Clamps
  • New coolant hoses, deleted #3 and #5 hose, replaced with longer #7 as you can see pictured
  • Transmission Shifter Fork Bushing

Will update more soon!

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Make sure you install new lock nuts on turbo. They tend to loosen up and studs back off which is why gasket blows. Could also try a Nord Lock if you plan to take off and on a couple times.

Jimb

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Wow!! That looks great!! Actually it’s like mine only I had white/silver BBS’s… wish I knew what happen to that car… it’s been a while for me on here… I miss the price of MR2’s. P-cars cost 10 times to run

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Make sure you install new lock nuts on turbo. They tend to loosen up and studs back off which is why gasket blows. Could also try a Nord Lock if you plan to take off and on a couple times.

Jimb
Will do! i'll add those to cart now!

Wow!! That looks great!! Actually it’s like mine only I had white/silver BBS’s… wish I knew what happen to that car… it’s been a while for me on here… I miss the price of MR2’s. P-cars cost 10 times to run
Thanks for the comments!

Nice! you should pick up a MR2 again!

After fiddling around with my M3 for so many years, I think I'm done for a while with that car, let it rest.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I can’t recall the size as we had a full washer kit at work and I simply used the best fit which is either 10 or 12mm ID. Best to measure stud OD or perhaps someone else knows info.

For anyone watching the Nord Lock washers are one of the few systems that retain their ability to keep nuts coming loose on high heat areas like a turbo. I’ve run them for several years and am impressed with results.

Jimb

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can’t recall the size as we had a full washer kit at work and I simply used the best fit which is either 10 or 12mm ID. Best to measure stud OD or perhaps someone else knows info.

For anyone watching the Nord Lock washers are one of the few systems that retain their ability to keep nuts coming loose on high heat areas like a turbo. I’ve run them for several years and am impressed with results.

Jimb
Ah, I see.

The Turbo nut is: MANIFOLD TO TURBO NUT - M10X1.25

So I'm assuming it's a M10 washers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I only used the zinc coated type and they seem to be fine. I haven't removed in a couple years now so maybe they are frozen shut which helps with keeping it tight, I guess?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I love when builds get used and abused!! These things were meant to enjoy them.

Would you happen to have any more pics of the top coolant hose installed? I want to delete that coolant pipe off the firewall

1 - 20 of 32 Posts