MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve recently purchased not one, but TWO of the replacement trim strips for the rear roof moulding from MR2heaven for my ‘91 model. I didn’t have the best luck the first “goaround” trying to install it. I used a heat gun to promote ease of application, but once I had it completely installed, I set the moulding back onto the car and the trim piece flares upward instead of laying flat like the OEM piece. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated! Or if you’ve dealt with this crap too and you just want to scream about it with me, have at it.

·
Premium Member
91T 4thGen Swap
592 Posts
Try soaking the moulding in hot water for a couple of minutes before installing it? Works with other plastics that need to be a little more malleable to install.... IDK if there adhesive and if that would be affected in this case though.
Were I to use a heat gun I would probably heat up where the moulding is going rather than the moulding itself and allow that heat to transfer and "draw" the moulding into place... could be way off on this process but thats how I would tackle it, not knowing any better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try soaking the moulding in hot water for a couple of minutes before installing it? Works with other plastics that need to be a little more malleable to install.... IDK if there adhesive and if that would be affected in this case though.
Were I to use a heat gun I would probably heat up where the moulding is going rather than the moulding itself and allow that heat to transfer and "draw" the moulding into place... could be way off on this process but thats how I would tackle it, not knowing any better.
can you post some pics please?
if you’ll give me ‘til the end of the day I can provide some photos to better demonstrate what I’m talking about. I kept the old (ruined) one, I’ll re-apply a portion of it to show you what I mean. I’m not using the new one until I get a better understanding of how to do it correctly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the idea of soaking it in hot water, but it does have adhesive on the trim that I’m afraid could be compromised. Doubtful, but I don’t want to take any chances. Also, the heat gun gave me plenty of “workability” with the trim strip. The part that the rubber strip adheres to is fiberglass if I’m not mistaken… so I don’t want to apply a bunch of heat to it, but I imagine a little wouldn’t hurt and probably would promote better adhesion… but then again, the adhesion was fine… it really comes down to how the adhesive strip lies against the fiberglass panel. If it’s seated properly to the panel, then it leaves the lifted edge.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I don't have experience with this specific piece, but I've experienced various levels of fitment problems with other MR2Heaven parts. If you ask them about it, I'm sure they'll blame it on user install error...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have experience with this specific piece, but I've experienced various levels of fitment problems with other MR2Heaven parts. If you ask them about it, I'm sure they'll blame it on user install error...
Yeahhh, I’ve scoured over their website trying to find instructions or a personal buyers write up maybe going further into detail but alas… no such luck. They’ve got some photos that resemble my installation results prior to setting the panel back onto the vehicle…but after that it’s all FUBAR. I’ve also had some good and bad experiences with some of their products in the past.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Is this the long thin 3M rubber seal with double sided tape that goes between the roof and the trim above the rear window? I bought one in case I ever needed it. Didn't see any instructions though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I recommend contacting them. A vendor should support their products IMO.
Is this the long thin 3M rubber seal with double sided tape that goes between the roof and the trim above the rear window? I bought one in case I ever needed it. Didn't see any instructions though.
Yep, that’s the one! I don’t believe they give any instructions. Another thing that’s SUPER reassuring is that the example photo on their website has a flaw in it… I think I may have a better idea of what’s going on but if I’m correct, the process is going to be a pain in the butt. Might not be the best idea to change it if you don’t have to :/

·
Premium Member
91T 4thGen Swap
592 Posts
My memory of working on my current SW has been shaken up a bit and I do recall removing the old trim to clean and then reinstalling it. I was able to do so with a "Steam Shark" its a steamer tool for cleaning floors and steaming clothes etc. Its just a boiler with a hose and trigger nozzle. The heat and moisture made it supple enough to take off and it also kept the adhesive in tact and the heat also re-activated it and allowed me to get it in place. I do have a small issue at the place where it meets the engine lid where the adhesive was too dirty to save and it doesn't stick but otherwise the entire moulding is staying put really well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My memory of working on my current SW has been shaken up a bit and I do recall removing the old trim to clean and then reinstalling it. I was able to do so with a "Steam Shark" its a steamer tool for cleaning floors and steaming clothes etc. Its just a boiler with a hose and trigger nozzle. The heat and moisture made it supple enough to take off and it also kept the adhesive in tact and the heat also re-activated it and allowed me to get it in place. I do have a small issue at the place where it meets the engine lid where the adhesive was too dirty to save and it doesn't stick but otherwise the entire moulding is staying put really well.
I’ve been interested in getting a steam shark for my house since we have vinyl floors now, maybe I’ll hold off installing the moulding until I get one. Thanks for the tidbit! I would think if you masked off around your work area pretty handsomely, some spray adhesive on the two mating surfaces may be able to fix your “mishap” by the engine lid. If it bothers you that is… maybe your content enough. Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts