MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bill from STL did it, but he still has his two, right?
John did it, sold his two to me.

Now I'm thinking about it.

Who else in the KC area has either gone to the WRX from the MR2, or added one to the stable?

·
Registered
566 Posts
J Red said:
Bill from STL did it, but he still has his two, right?
John did it, sold his two to me.

Now I'm thinking about it.

Who else in the KC area has either gone to the WRX from the MR2, or added one to the stable?
I still have the 2 :angel:

the wrx is the wife's :thumbup

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
i wouldnt want to..iv driven a couple wrx's and didnt really like them...rather have an EVO RS for a little more :) ...plus the whole tranny blowing up if you beat on it with any high power doesnt work out for me

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only MR2 for sale would be the one without a motor. The other one is my wife's car, it's being supplemented by the WRX/STi, not replaced by it. It holds sentimental value for her, I doubt we'll ever sell it again.

05 WRX?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Tuna said:
i think you should do it, i need a MK1 :D i already got Tony's MK2 because he went and got a WRX ;)
you're a greedy bastard bryce :slap:

:shakeshea

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
a friend of mine named colin had an mr2 n/a, gave/sold it to his dad and his dad bought him a year old wrx... it developed some tranny issues so he bought him a brand new one.

so i guess that's going from mr2 to wrx right? :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yeah I went from the MR2 to the WRX. As far as blowing up the tranny thing isn't as common as people would like you to believe. And if it happens - that's what warranties are for. I must admit I miss the 2 and will probably buy one before the meet, but the WRX is a stout runner. And the AWD makes it great in the snow. I would have bought the EVO VIII SR or RS or whatever, but I got my '04 WRX brand new for $21,000, which isn't too bad considering the sticker says $27,000. I highly doubt I could get the EVO for less than $28,000 and I really don't trust Mistubishis.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I am still keeping the MR2, but I was thinking of trading in the Mustang I daily drive for an older WRX. I need to find a new job though, so no money now.

Dan

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
I know the wrx tranny issue isnt huge on stock wrx's...but i wouldnt want to keep it stock...plus having to worry about it blowing up after launching it scares me..id rather spend a couple more grand and get an EVO RS (27.5k)...the 4g63 has been around for 15 years, i trust it.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The thing that puts me off about the Evo is that it's so much like the bone stock Lancer that they sell for 15k, they even put the same interior in it. I know the seats are different, but the rest is the same, or not different enough. For 30k, the car has to have something going for it, and I feel that the WRX and STi interiors are worth the extra cash. The WRX interior is not as nice as something from MB/BMW/Audi, but the 330xi or the S4 are the only 4WD cars that I could compare. I'm not big on BMWs, and there is no Audi dealership down here in Wichita.

I'm also keeping it stock, whatever we get, the STi is plenty fast for a all-season daily driver. The only issue would be if, say, the clutch didn't last too long, I'd replace it with a twin or triple disc and tell my wife to slip it all she wants, so long as she's easy on the transmission.

J.

·
Registered
781 Posts
emopunk96 said:
I know the wrx tranny issue isnt huge on stock wrx's...but i wouldnt want to keep it stock...plus having to worry about it blowing up after launching it scares me..id rather spend a couple more grand and get an EVO RS (27.5k)...the 4g63 has been around for 15 years, i trust it.
Well mine's not stock and I just bought a turbo (VF22) for it, which will go on after I get the uppipe, downpipe and exhaust on it, and I'm still not worried about the tranny. Hell if it goes it's only $500-$600 to get it replaced. Who cares. And that's if the warranty won't pay for it. Many dealers are somewhat tuner friendly and will either just fix the problem or pay the bill partially.

I guess my thinking is no matter what kind of car you have, if you modify it in anyway, you run the risk of breaking it. MR2s are no exception. And once it's broken, you either put money into it or get rid of it. It's part of being part of the "tuner crowd" as the kids call it.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
IMO the Evo's interior is nicer than the wrx's...just the recaro's alone make up for being the same as the lancers, which IMO it still looks kickass...also i think the evo seats are nicer than the Sti's, most car mags agree that the sti's are a little to big...buut for a daily confy car i would agree that the Sti is prolly a better choice, i just wouldnt buy one of these cars unless i wanted to rip the piss out of it...

me=die hard evo lover :)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Couldn't tell. ;)

I still say that the switchgear, and most everything else on the dash lacks the quality of the Subaru, but then it should, being based on a more expensive car in the first place.

The Evo is what it is. A bargain basement car with a hot motor, 4WD, Brembos and a few other goodies. Not much different than the STi, but enough for me. I do prefer the seats in the Evo, then the standard WRX seats, to the STi's.

The ultimate deal breaker for the STi will be that fukkinugly color that they dye the fabric in. And the stock WRX that we've driven has clutch issues, after a 250 mile test drive. Those two issues consipire to make me wait for a sweet deal on an S4 instead.

J.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Well I'd take an S4 over either any day! But then you're shelling out an extra $10,000 - $15,000, depending on the options. I looked at an 01 S4 when I bought a new WRX but the cost was the same and the Audi had 40,000 miles on it.

I love the EVO and the STI, but in the future I think I'll buy Toyota engineering over either any day.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MR2Tony said:
Well ... day.
I'm also comparing a used S4 or a new STi, much as I'd like to, I can't afford a new S4. The used S4 is probably a better idea, as I'm not nearly as likely to beat on it. Used Audis also seem to be well cared for, assuming you buy the car from the first owner, even if their reliability is not quite what it is with Toyota. Seems that they are very solid for the most part, with a few little Boschisms every now and then. Still, 2x turbos scares the hell out of me. I avoided buying a Z32 for that very reason, my dad has two of those, and I know his day of reckoning is coming.

I'm also considering a newer A4 1.8t, with the idea that the turbo would be eventually ditched for a GT30 or similar. ATP seems to be doing well with their project car.

In the beginning, I wanted to buy a stock vehicle and keep it stock, but I find that the urge is too strong to resist.

J.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
the newer a4 1.8t's are great...my aunt has one and i'm in love with that car, especially the interior...it's so beautiful and so comfy...i want to buy it once she sells it for a new car (she does this every few years) but my brother already has dibs on it :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts