MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

MR2 with viper v10

25K views 66 replies 25 participants last post by  scottgas 
#1 ·
Hello hello!

My name is Petter Dammen, and i live in the cold country of Norway

I have been working on my Toyota mr2 for a good time now, and i am planing to do a engine swap.

BUT i could relly use some help from someone who has already done a swap.

I am wondering, will a viper v10 fit into a mr2? or a corvette ls1?
And what transmissions is the best to use with these type of engines in an mr2?

Thank you

#53 ·
I agree with Gouky and Jared. The 2gr is probably what would be considered a "high performance" engine destined to be trapped in pedestrian cars. I think it is also needing more revs. It looks like it would just keep making power. The 2gr is also still a relatively small engine comparatively speaking. So of course to make big hp it will need to rev. I am not an expert at reading dyno graph by any means, but it looks like it builds a decent amount of down low, then builds strong hp as it revs. It seems to look like a pretty balanced engine hp/torque wise. A lot of people look at engines like the Viper V10 and the LS7 as big torque monsters. More so the V10. I believe the new ones rev to 6000 or maybe more and do make more hp than torque. They are just so big that they make huge amounts o both. The LS7 revs to 7000 and makes lots of both, just not as brutal as the V10. The thing with both is that they both CAN make lots more hp and torque with very little work. Turning both engines from mere beasts into absolute monsters. They still aren't necessarily the right engine for every project. To me, the engine needs to fit the personality of the car. I think a high revving V6 or turbo 4cyl fit the personality of an MR2 better than a big V8 does. Sorry for tha rambling.

#56 ·
Seriously, my Norwegian friend, the Viper engine is a dog... a very heavy dog with not much power.

IF you are serious about V8 or V10 then i would strongly consider some of these for donors.....

* Toyota/Lexus LS430 - 4.3 V8 ~300hp+ (plenty of mods available for 800hp builds)
* Audi RS4 B8 - 4.2 V8 ~420hp (difficult to modify)
* BMW M3 - 4.0 V8 ~420hp
* BMW M5 - 5.0 V8 ~510hp
* Audi RS6 - 5.2 V10 TT ~575hp (hens teeth to find)

All of those engines are at least 6" shorter than the Viper block AND a good 300lb lighter. Modern all alloy engines are far better for this sort of thing because the last thing you want to do is bog down all that power with stupid weight!

If it had to be V10 then i would not consider anything other than the BMW V10. widely regarded as the best V10 out there. Does a pretty ok job of getting an unsrestricted M5 to 200mph.....

As for transmission.... Tricky once you get to that size and torque you are asking a lot of something from a normal car... I would still probably say the Audi 2.5/2.7 TDi 6-speed from 00-05 roughly. Very heavily build gearbox designed for diesel torque. Ok on an M5 Engine you may lunch it a couple of times but there are gear firms out there that will build it up to take big power too. It's only a case of hardened or straight cut gears in most cases...

HTH

711lb!!!!!! My God!!!! Don't fancy building an engine stand for that! :D

#58 ·
Kotaru said:
So I take it you've owned/driven one or is that just an opinion based on conjecture?
Conjecture Kotaru. I've driven every Audi up to 2006 to wear the S/RS badge and most of the BMW M's amongst others.... Have a passenger ride in a Viper and there is no doubting it is a brutally quick car. But adding a 711lb anchor to the SW20 chassis will not do it one bit of good... The weight would jump to 3200lb roughly! stops being nimble at that stage. My dog comment is in terms of weight... not to mention it's based on a truck engine..!

#60 ·
but having seen a viper engine bay, and worked on all 3 mr2 generations - the cutting and reinforcements that would be needed just do not make sense. You have to do so much work that you might as well choose a better option, especially if better options end up with a total power to weight ratio that is better.

#61 ·
I would prefer a turbo V6 over most NA V8/V10 swaps in an MR2 and I am a bigger is better guy overall.

The turbo V6 would EASILY match the power of the V8/V10. With a properly sized turbo you would have most of the low end power as well. Better gas mileage, lighter and bolts right in.

Overall cost would be a lot less as well once you take everything into account.

#62 ·
you are all correct... the viper engine would not remotely be practical to put in an MR2 for any reason due to how costly it would be. not to mention, some of the driving aspects that the mr2 is so great for, would be lost.

BUT, the cool factor or unique factor would be superb... ive never seen it done... or heard of it done. im sure noone else has either. if thats what the goal is, then thats what it shall be. im sure he didnt decide hey, i want some good power in my MR2. i should put a viper motor in it. im willing to bet he is more knowledgable than that... lol

#63 ·
I have two 2nd gen vipers in my shop right now. One with a roots style blower on it and the other 2 GT35 turbos making almost 1000whp. That one is INSANE... Might have to stay late one night and squeeze it in my MR2 that is awaiting its fresh rebuild and engine is out already...

And then i woke up!!!

Some one should put a nasty built 2JZ up front and convert the old Engine bay/trunk area into a truck bed like the 240sx Trucks for drifting haha

#66 ·
First let me say that I think a Viper engine is the wrong engine for an MR2. my opinion. As for all of the people saying the Viper V10 is a heavy low powered dog, you are kinda right/wrong. Yes they are heavier than what we are used to, but if you get one of the most recent ones, weight is down to around 500lbs. Not bad for the displacement. I think some of you are confusing the Viper engine with the Dodge truck V10 engine. They are completely different. They share basic configurations and that is it. The truck engine has an iron block. The Viper is all aluminum. The Viper engine should be able to be punched to 9.0 liters if not more. It has been done on older models. Also, even with stock displacement, a modern 8.4 liter variant should make 700hp with ease. Even 800hp should be pretty simple with typical ohv mods. Ported heads, cam, etc. Now lets imagine this car actually gets completed using one of the more recent 500lb engines. Once he gets it done, he can always yank the engine, bore it, stroke it, port the heads, and go bigger cam. How many of the other engines mentioned will hold a candle to a 9.0 liter Viper engine with ported heads and bigger cam? Also, these later engines have vvt. Dodge uses a 2 piece camshaft to allow them to alter intake and exhaust timing separately. If he really wanted to go berserk, he could also go ITBs. Imagine the sound!

#67 ·
sevenofnine said:
Sorry for OT but if you think about spend 30-40k for a engine swap think about this V8
Dont argued? Think harder :smile: :smile:
I would love to see one in a mr2.
If 400HP is not enough you could order it with a turbo.
This would be the ultimate engine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.