MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2,323 Posts
There are a few differences but as the majority of information is from the USA for USA cars on tuning these engines I wouldn't worry too much about the 25ps (German Horsepower) that the JDM car had on the USDM car for a start. If you want that extra 25ps then just crank up the boost with a manual boost controller and deactivate the OEM boost control as shown in the link provided by this twosRus link. Manual Boost Controller | Twos R Us

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
The US only got rev/genII. Which gen JDM are you asking us to compare to?

·
Registered
945 Posts
You can install a JDM gen2 ecu on a USDM gen2 engine, you'll get the same power. To match a gen3 you would have to get a boost controller.
You should get more power if you run higher octane. JDM ecu has more aggressive timing.

·
6,192 Posts
How does the EGR system affect the power levels? I guess the JDM ecu can't control the EGR so it remains shut?
I have no idea I've always had the EGR block off plates. My car came with an extra ecu that was supposed to be a JDM one but I couldn't tell the difference when I changed between the two.

·
Premium Member
12,092 Posts
How does the EGR system affect the power levels? I guess the JDM ecu can't control the EGR so it remains shut?
EGR should not affect peak power, since it is normally deactivated at high loads. The older cars had EGR systems that were stand alone. They were controlled by vacuum ports in the throttle body. The cars with TVIS had a vacuum valve that would also deactivate the EGR in the high RPM range, when the TVIS butterflies were open. I don't know if there were ever EGR systems that were completely under control of the ECU.

·
Premium Member
12,092 Posts
Well, there you go. The EGR was intended to improve efficiency and emissions at moderate load by increasing the cylinder filling at partial throttle. Don't know what the exact boundaries were, or whether there were any other tuning changes that went with it.

·
2,323 Posts
Well, there you go. The EGR was intended to improve efficiency and emissions at moderate load by increasing the cylinder filling at partial throttle. Don't know what the exact boundaries were, or whether there were any other tuning changes that went with it.
The lower power is most likely due to the way EFR works. You probably already know this anyway.

If the cylinders are filled with the inert gasses from the exhaust there is less space for new fresh air and fuel to fill the cylinders therefore lowering exhaust gas temperature and not creating NO2. So less fresh air and fuel means less bang and less power.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts