MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
So I cant get the stock end links off with everything bolted in, it's hitting the chassis on the strut housing attachment.

Anyway, that sucks. The clunking is annoying and has me wanting to just disconnect but Im not sure that would be good either.

Have a track day, my first, scheduled in 2 weeks, Im very excited about that!
You should be able to worm it out if you take the rear tie rod loose. The moog ones have even less room.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
You should be able to worm it out if you take the rear tie rod loose. The moog ones have even less room.
Pardon my ignorance, and not looking at it currently, but how would that help? Im trying to picture it and not doing a good job at it.
Yes, the MOOG ones are beefy as heck, much thicker than the stock units

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Replaced 7 of the 9 barrel style capacitors on the circuit board for the cruise control. After replacing 5 I took it for a quick drive to see, and it was working.
I then replaced two more before I called it a night and packed it all up/reinstalled. I am going to northern Virginia today and wanted cruise for it.

Also, yesterday, got my r12 'drained' and replaced with r134 (along with the different oil and seal etc)
So I got good AC now. Before it just barely worked.

So two things that no one will see, but makes a big difference in driveability.

·
Registered
114 Posts
How much of the AC system did you switch out? I would like to convert over eventually also. I have a condenser on order but they're saying its out of stock and they don't know when it will ship. 1/4 of the fins on mine are flat probably. Mine does still work but it's not 100%.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Not a lot on this end righit now, it's a weekend car sometimes. I dont drive a lot, but it's just nice to get in and go.

One small update to really post about:

redstitched wheel

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Mostly just ordering random things for it and getting some winter projects lined up.
today I ordered from Twos R Us
-two sets of their T-Top guides
-a set of the reproduction window switches

From Amazon
-some BKR7E spark plugs
-a dual USB 12v port to mount for my GPS, freeing up the cig lighter on the dash

Recently got my repro front lip pieces off of Josh here on the OC
Got an IS300 gas pedal, going to see if it works, it'll match the aluminum and rubber Celica GTS pedals that I have already. That was from Ebay, under 25 shipped. If it doesnt work, oh well.
At the junkyard I picked up a IS300 deadpedal. It doesnt have the rubber, it's just the aluminum face. Flipped upside down it fits almost perfect over the stock MR2 deadpedal. It costs 2 bucks to get into the yard, they said just take it since it was 60% off day and they wouldnt be charging me much to begin with. This will be, again, just for looks to 'round out' the footwell look.

Will do a little bit of an ignition overhaul soon, as well as an oilchange and start cleaning up and tidying up the engine bay over the winter.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Bought some SSR A2 Integral wheels
Not exactly what I was looking for, they're square, but I could not beat the price, got them for a song
So I'll keep hunting for some rear replacements, but I'll rock the heck out of these until I find some

Now to order some tires this week and then get them on for my next track day in one month!

·
Registered
328 Posts
So I cant get the stock end links off with everything bolted in, it's hitting the chassis on the strut housing attachment.

Anyway, that sucks. The clunking is annoying and has me wanting to just disconnect but Im not sure that would be good either.

Have a track day, my first, scheduled in 2 weeks, Im very excited about that!
Was just catching up on this thread last night and thought I'd add my experience regarding rear end link installation. I just installed OEM rear end links on my 91T recently, and found a bit of a difference between the driver and passenger sides. On one side, I was able to wrangle out the old end link without having to do anything else, and same to get in the new end link. However, on the other side (passenger, I believe), it seemed like there was a smidge less room, and no amount of twisting and wrangling was going to work. I was prepared to undo the whole strut, but found just loosening the two strut mount bolts was sufficient to get the clearance needed to swap out the end links. Phew!

Updated steering wheel looks good -- I want to do the same eventually.

Good choice on the SSRs -- I have the same.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Was just catching up on this thread last night and thought I'd add my experience regarding rear end link installation. I just installed OEM rear end links on my 91T recently, and found a bit of a difference between the driver and passenger sides. On one side, I was able to wrangle out the old end link without having to do anything else, and same to get in the new end link. However, on the other side (passenger, I believe), it seemed like there was a smidge less room, and no amount of twisting and wrangling was going to work. I was prepared to undo the whole strut, but found just loosening to two strut mount bolts was sufficient to get the clearance needed to swap out the end links. Phew!

Updated steering wheel looks good -- I want to do the same eventually.

Good choice on the SSRs -- I have the same.
You loosened the bolts at the bottom of the strut housing? I I worry about loosening those and messing up my alignment
Did you have any issues with that?

·
Registered
328 Posts
You loosened the bolts at the bottom of the strut housing? I I worry about loosening those and messing up my alignment
Did you have any issues with that?
Would it potentially mess with the alignment? Either way, wasn't worried about it because the car is already due for an alignment, as I've been working my way through several maintenance items related to suspension. No obvious issues at this point either, but I'm not driving it much at this time.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Would it potentially mess with the alignment? Either way, wasn't worried about it because the car is already due for an alignment, as I've been working my way through several maintenance items related to suspension. No obvious issues at this point either, but I'm not driving it much at this time.

View attachment 75269

So I had just gotten an alignment when I discovered the end links needed to be replaced. Which is why I was hesitant/didnt take those two bolts loose to get to the end links.
I should do it soon and get another alignment

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looks like your rolling diameter is kind of significantly increased on the rear ? That said SSR integral is probably my favorite wheel for this car. Those end links are horrible to get in.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Looks like your rolling diameter is kind of significantly increased on the rear ? That said SSR integral is probably my favorite wheel for this car. Those end links are horrible to get in.
Yes, definitely larger
225/45 on rear
I did a lot of reading on here and saw it mentioned many times.

·
Registered
328 Posts
So I had just gotten an alignment when I discovered the end links needed to be replaced. Which is why I was hesitant/didnt take those two bolts loose to get to the end links.
I should do it soon and get another alignment
And a bit of a correction: just membered I completely removed the top bolt, but only loosened the nut on the bottom one.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts