MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I did some digging around and see this binding issue you speak of.
It seems like AlexW really knows his stuff when it comes to suspensions,but I dont know what else to do, just leave the strut rod bushing the stock unit (seems they're discontinued)?
You can convert to the 93+ style or just leave the rubber ones in there. I'm sure you could find rubber bushings out there somewhere if yours are shot. I converted over since it looks like a pretty significant design improvement.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So is it just the strut rod that has to be changed? Order from Toyota or get used/junkyard etc?
You need the rods, the brackets, and the bolts. I think the control arms are the same though the part numbers are different. I don't think toyota sells this stuff anymore, you're looking at EBAY or a JY or something. I did get the bolts new because the old ones were seized in the bushings and I had to cut them out.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Strut rods are the ones that attach near the top of the strut housing? Has the 2 14mm bolts with allen key on the inside?

Got my rockauto shipment in today
jacked up, wheels off, and got one strut off.
Holy crap some of these bolts are dang hard to get off

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The key to everything is the right tools.

Ok, quick update - the tach is fixed
New struts, 93+ springs, strut mounts, ball joints (front, have to return the rears, they werent right), and tie rod ends.
I did some of the poly Prothane bushings too

Today at 3 Ill get my alignment done

Im currently on the waitlist for an SCCA Track Night in America at Charlotte Motor Speedway for this Friday, fingers crossed!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Strut rods are the ones that attach near the top of the strut housing? Has the 2 14mm bolts with allen key on the inside?

Got my rockauto shipment in today
jacked up, wheels off, and got one strut off.
Holy crap some of these bolts are dang hard to get off
The strut rods attach to the control arm - they are #10 in this photo (connecting to #4). FWIW I upgraded to 93+ and have the Alex W kit. Beautiful set up as you get the adjustability of the early years with the better setup.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Sounds like good progress. How'd the alignment go? You get close to the numbers you're looking for?
I will post image of the alignment sheet later on
I was recommended a guy at a local Chevy dealer, he, apparently, does a lot of alignments and work for various Auto-X folks around this tri-city area. He spent 3 hours on the car and did as good as he could to get me there. I'll have to double check, but, yes, I think he got it in the window I wanted

The strut rods attach to the control arm - they are #10 in this photo (connecting to #4). FWIW I upgraded to 93+ and have the Alex W kit. Beautiful set up as you get the adjustability of the early years with the better setup.

View attachment 70529

How, thank you! That is very helpful!

I could not get the rear swap bushings on. I saw one bolt to hold the bushing in, but not the second - is there a second? I couldnt get it off

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Oh - the guy that did the alignment commented that all he really noticed under there was the sway bar end links, they are making a lot of clacking noises/worn out.

I see if I go through Oreilly's it'll run me over a 100 to replace the rear units, is there a better option?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

·
Registered
114 Posts
Rockauto is your friend for this kind of stuff, lots of options and inexpensive. Adjustability is nice but you really don't need it. I ended up with the Moog end links but there is very little room between them and the body so I can't really recommend them.

On the sway bar bracket you have to drop the subframe to get at the top bolt. Its not a fun situation. The poly bushings don't fit in the stock bracket very well either and the prothane bracket doesn't fit at all. If you're going to do it go ahead and buy the subframe bolts and the engine mount bolts ahead of time. They're probably in bad shape.

If your alternator is on the fritz swap it while the subframe is down. Much easier.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Rockauto is your friend for this kind of stuff, lots of options and inexpensive. Adjustability is nice but you really don't need it. I ended up with the Moog end links but there is very little room between them and the body so I can't really recommend them.

On the sway bar bracket you have to drop the subframe to get at the top bolt. Its not a fun situation. The poly bushings don't fit in the stock bracket very well either and the prothane bracket doesn't fit at all. If you're going to do it go ahead and buy the subframe bolts and the engine mount bolts ahead of time. They're probably in bad shape.

If your alternator is on the fritz swap it while the subframe is down. Much easier.
I prefer the adjustable ones as I could use the same links at all 4 corners with my Fortune Coilovers, not to mention if I change my setup and need to adjust the length I do not need to buy new ones. It seems like every aftermarket struts have a small change in the distance from the mounting point to the sway bar. Having the adjustable length makes it really really easy.

As for the rear brackets you only need to drop the subframe a bit to get the bolts if you have a wrench. Wasn't too bad to replace IIRC. (How To: Install Rear Swaybar - Midship Runabout)

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I ended up buying some MOOG before I saw the above posters' post. I hope they're ok
Very inexpensive and come with a lifetime warranty
Be here Monday or Tuesday

·
Registered
114 Posts
They're really nice, just it ends up very close to the body of the car. I had to take the strut loose at the bottom to get the stud to face the right direction. Otherwise a quality item.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
So I cant get the stock end links off with everything bolted in, it's hitting the chassis on the strut housing attachment.

Anyway, that sucks. The clunking is annoying and has me wanting to just disconnect but Im not sure that would be good either.

Have a track day, my first, scheduled in 2 weeks, Im very excited about that!

41 - 60 of 81 Posts