MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I also redid MOST of the brakes on the car.
The front brakes were VERY low, so I ordered some EBC GreenStuff pads with the plan to install them with the stainless steel lines that came, boxed, when the car was purchased from previous owner.
But then I thought, "Hell, might as well put fresh rotors on too."
So I did

Here are the old pads next to the new

And installed

I also swapped out the 14" stock wheels for a set of 15" MR2 wheels with MUCH better/sportier tires than what was on the 14s.

Example of sizing and tread difference from sumitomo all seasons to some BFGs
Going from 195s all around to a 205 front and 225 rear staggered setup

more cleaning, and polishing of some bits and I'll be doing more stuff soon with Christmas break around the corner

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Rear brake pads came in this week, I'll replace the rear pads and rebleed next weekend
Im going to tackle suspension next, as well as fixing the barely functioning tach.
And new wiper blades. No, not exciting, but these are dry rotted and crap.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
100/80 HELLA bulbs arrived already today, but the housings havent. Bummer, as i have nothing going on tonight. Oh well, will get them done by Saturday.
Glad to hear more positive things about them, looking forward to the change

·
Registered
103 Posts
Great color choice ;) looking forward to see how your progress goes. Looks like a good base to start with.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'll update as I can/do.
It'll be a slow road - gov employee with a mortgage lol.
But it's a nice weekend car, Ive enjoyed being back at it!

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
As Ive been driving this car more I realize how much I love a cupholder. Ever try to drive a straight drive on a curvy road with a cup of coffee? If freaking sucks.
When I was 20 I didnt care about freaking cup holders, I cared about the speed, the styling... Now Im 37. I care about a cupholder.

So I had an idea a while back, tonight I got to it.
I had ordered from ebay or amazon a cheap little flip up cupholder. It comes with adhesive strips and two screws. Well Im not keen on drilling holes in my carpet or any part of the body for a dang cupholder.

So I took some kydex and made a bracket for the cupholder.

With all/most projects - everything starts with cardboard, a sharpie, and something to cut the cardboard. Tonight some good shears.

Then to trace onto kydex. Cutting with my scroll saw. Used heatgun to form the kydex to fix everything, lots of trial and error.
Busted out the dremel to clean certain parts of it up.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I picked up a hydraulic prop rod for the car a few months ago from a local guy, decided to put it on tonight.
No longer will I use an arrow to keep my engine lid open! lol

Also, buttoned up the dash pieces from doing the stereo. So here is the stereo I put in, a Pioneer unit with bluetooth, cd/dvd, a USB on the back, aux on the back, microphone included etc

And while Im putting it all back together I 'installed' my ashtray. A non-broken one!

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well FINALLY got around to sorting out the drivers side door speaker - it didnt work when I bought it.
So I pulled the harness out and, sure enough, one of the wires for the speaker was broken.
I was going to just replace a short section (narrowed it down to a 6"ish section) but ended up replacing almost the whole thing.
I dont have a repinning tool, or know how to repin a wire into a harness, if I did then I'd have done that.

But anyway, the little 30 year old speaker is working again.

I have a new set of speakers to go in as soon as my adapters arrive, hopefully in the next day or two

Speaking of speakers - I pulled the stock sub enclosure out, had a no-name (that I could see) replacement subwoofer. Also, discovered a ton of acorns underneath the enclosure in the little cubby. So got that cleaned out and put everything back together. Now I know I dont have to worry about getting a replacement subwoofer (they arent much, but still), because Im sure at that size it makes almost zero difference.

Also, ordered a radiator panel from MR2 Chop Shop, just slowly getting it back to at least stock form (upgrading things as I can without getting wild, ie the headunit and speakers etc)

Next up, after the speaker, is sort out my dang horn. I can hear the relay clicking when I hit the horn but the horn itself makes no noises. Maybe disconnected? We'll see. Im guessing the front bumper will have to come off.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well I wasnt really expecting it, but just ordered a set of 1994 taillights and trunklid with spoiler
But came across a decent deal so I bit on it.

Also, my radiator panel should be here today
I got in the mail yesterday a 6S+ Iphone with 64gig harddrive to use as a holder for my mp3s in the car

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yesterday my full Prothane bushing kit arrived by Amazon

Ive also ordered other suspension items from Rock Auto, mostly MOOG and KYB
-Front and Rear Ball Joints
-Front Upper Strut Mounts
-Alignment bolts
-Strut bellows and bumpstops
-Spring Compressor

·
Registered
64 Posts
Have fun doing the bushing kit. They're always a joy and a pleasure to get installed regardless of the vehicle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Any tips to make it easier?
Wellll, there's generally three routes you can take. Press the old ones out with a floor press, the bolt and stacked washer trick, or burn them out. I don't have a press and have had bad luck with bending control arms or getting a good square pressing surface on things like the rear strut rods so I tend to burn them.

Burning them out is a nasty business. Lots of black smoke and little bits for rubber spit out. You get the rubber hot, push out the middle with something then you can either cut a notch out of the shell with a hacksaw or tap it out with a hammer depending on how stuck they are. None of the MR2 bushings retain the shell unlike some other cars.

After that assembly is a piece of cake. Use a ton of that grease and I suggest gloves, its super nasty. You might want to read up on the front strut rod binding issue if you've got a pre 93. Changing that out requires front strut rods and brackets.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 91 - so this binding issue, what do I need?
I would do a search on it and decide which route you want to go. General consensus is not to use the polyurethane bushing on the 91 type front strut rod because they bind which becomes a kind of auxiliary torsion spring. Solution is to either keep the rubber in there or switch to the 93+ configuration.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I would do a search on it and decide which route you want to go. General consensus is not to use the polyurethane bushing on the 91 type front strut rod because they bind which becomes a kind of auxiliary torsion spring. Solution is to either keep the rubber in there or switch to the 93+ configuration.
I did some digging around and see this binding issue you speak of.
It seems like AlexW really knows his stuff when it comes to suspensions,but I dont know what else to do, just leave the strut rod bushing the stock unit (seems they're discontinued)?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts