MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My rev 5 NA won't start. It is a 1999 UK car with about 105K miles on the clock. Car is essentially stock, but has an aftermarket air filter and exhaust. I last drove it two days ago. It is currently very damp outside and below freezing. Over the last three weeks or so the car has picked up a bit of a missfire when it's cold. It also used to start almost instantly (~1 second) but has recently been taking a little longer (~2 seconds).

It cranks really quick so don't think it is battery. It has almost a full tank of fuel.

Have removed a spark plug and grounded it to the motor - spark is there but weak (orange, can't hear a noise either) and seems intermittent. Tried again, this time attaching a jumper cable to end of plug and grounding that to one of the nuts on top of the right strut - same issue. Plug is wet with fuel. Car smells faintly of fuel after cranking for ~5 seconds.

I loosened the nut on the engine side of the fuel filter and fuel comes pissing out when the car is cranked.

So, I guess that suggests it is either the weak spark that is the issue, or perhaps the timing belt has slipped?

Should I be looking at getting a new coil and igniter? Any other suggestions from anyone? What's the easiest way to see if the belt has slipped.

Thanks for your time,

Patrick

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would start by validating that your igniter is able to generate a healthy spark. Disconnect the high tension chord that goes from the igniter to the distributor and test it just like you did the other high tension chord. If the spark is still weak, test your igniter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts