MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while I'm prepping for a gen3 swap I also decide to have my power steering rack rebuilt and a quick steering pinion gear installed. It seems that the only place that periodically sells the gear is sold out and, after doing a little bit of research, I come across a thread from the other forum with an interesting tidbit of information.

Discussion thread: http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/94365-Quick-Turn-Steering-Gear

The thread author states that the mr2 quick steering pinion gear may just be the very same gear from out of a mr-s steering rack. And judging by the pictures posted of the mr-s gear and the mr2 quick steering gear I am inclined to agree. Given how expensive an upgrade this is I don't know why the thread didn't gain more traction. I'm hoping someone out there has more information or experience regarding the topic as I figure it's to everyone's benefit since a rebuilt mr-s steering rack with the gear could be had for around $200 versus buying the mr2 quick steering gear for $400+. I am going to visit a few Toyota specialty parts yards this weekend and see If I just might be able to purchase the mr-s gear itself sans the rack. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Hmm...hope this works out - have always had it in the back of my mind to get one of those quick steering gears...
Myself as well. How are you going to be able to tell if they're the same gear? Do you have one of the "quick gears" to directly compare it to?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Myself as well. How are you going to be able to tell if they're the same gear? Do you have one of the "quick gears" to directly compare it to?
In the linked thread the author posted up pictures of a quick steering gear and a stock mr-s gear. They do indeed look identical with the same number of teeth. He reported no known issues with running the mr-s gear at all. I've sent him a pm regarding an update but haven't received a reply yet.

I also called around the Toyota yards today and found a warehouse with used complete mr-s power steering racks for $186 including core charge. I plan to purchase a unit this Saturday and retrieve the gear for closer inspection. Would be great to sell off the rack on craigslist afterwards and retain the gear for minimal out of pocket cost.

·
Super Moderator
3,629 Posts
I'd like to know if this works and how many turns lock-lock it actually creates.

Looking at the pinion gear, it has the extra tooth but it also has a different angle to them plus they look thinner. This might allow it to work but instead of loading up evenly along the whole gear it will only touch either end creating undue stress on the MR-S gear. The pinion and rack need to be the same angle to work properly. It doesn't appear this is the case here.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Not absolutely true, variable ratio racks vary the tooth to pinion angles to achieve a variable ratio over the length of the rack. So long as the gear strengths/hardness are high enough and lubrication is adequate its perfectly acceptable to have sliding contact on a gear.

·
Super Moderator
3,629 Posts
Not absolutely true, variable ratio racks vary the tooth to pinion angles to achieve a variable ratio over the length of the rack. So long as the gear strengths/hardness are high enough and lubrication is adequate its perfectly acceptable to have sliding contact on a gear.
That makes sense. It's not far enough out to cause any major issues. If the guy who has tried this has been able to drive the car fine then it should work.

Tempted to do this myself in the future as I'd like fast steering. SW20 steering is already pretty good but having it that little bit quicker would be nice. It would make catching oversteer and changing directions that little bit easier.

·
Registered
91 SW20 V6 conversion, 92 SW21 V6 Conversion
2 Posts
Sorry to revive but I moved back here when the forum is having problems. I'm the author of the other post, yes it does indeed work. Both of my SW20s are still running the MRS pinion to this day. I in fact just flushed the PS system last weekend no shavings or issues with the fluid. The other car is due here in about 3 months.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Sorry to revive but I moved back here when the forum is having problems. I'm the author of the other post, yes it does indeed work. Both of my SW20s are still running the MRS pinion to this day. I in fact just flushed the PS system last weekend no shavings or issues with the fluid. The other car is due here in about 3 months.
So that's... what... 5 years and how many miles?

·
Registered
91 SW20 V6 conversion, 92 SW21 V6 Conversion
2 Posts
TBH IDK mileage I don't put much on my non daily cars, just to be conservative 7 to 10k miles. Plenty of track sessions, but I haven't done much since the great COVID skisum. I try to change out fluids every year or 2 just for preventative maintenance. It's well over what's recommend, but parts are going to get harder to come by.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts