MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have read the thread about mr2's and new drivers ( and its currently locked )

i am a new"er" driver i do have a current car (old jetta) but my question is for you ive read storys that in rain and snow they tend to want to spin

if i were to drive the mr2 during the dry months and the jetta during the winter do you think i would be fine?

91 mr2

ive also consider a rx7 but want the mr2 more becasue its more fuel efficent...

thanks in advance

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
many people here drive a beater during the winter. i, unfortunately, don't know anything about driving in snow (other than reading people's experiences here) but i drive my car during hurricane season here in florida. so...oh well. The only time the backend has EVER gotten out on me was on an onramp after the rain stopped. i also had brand spankin new tires on so...oh well. i've yet to let it get out (at least unintentionally ;)) if you drive the 2 like you would anyone else in another other car, you should be fine. just don't pull any stupid stunts and you'll be fine. I have yet to crash or spin out in the 19 or so months i've had my 2

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
I drive my '85 MR2 year-round.
MR2s can be good in the snow to the extent that they have weight over the drive wheels and you have traction. You just need to be a bit more respectful of wet conditions with the Two than other cars. A reasonable person driving the MR2 responsibly will not get into serious trouble in wet weather.

Weather is to be respected, not feared.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
i drove my 93 in the snow over a mountian the other day and in rain many of times just remember to go slow and you will be fine :thumbup

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
When I first started to drive, my only car was an '86 MR2. I drove it through many winter storms and never had much of a problem. I was also pretty young and fearless at the time. The only problem that I experienced was a result of the minimal amount of ground clearance. I made a 2 hour trip (50 miles) in Wyoming during a blizzard and ended up getting stuck in my driveway when I finally made it home. I had high-centered on a snow drift about 100 feet from my house. I always kept good tires on the car and I think that made quite a difference.

My '91 handles completely differently and since it is not my primary car, I keep high performance summer tires on it. I would not attempt 1/2 of the things I did in my '86.

I think you would be fine using the MR2 only during nice weather. I think that's what most of the people here do. They have another car for the inclement weather so that they don't risk damaging their MR2 unnecessarily. Good luck!

·
What Grind's My Gears!
1,181 Posts
HELLO ,
if u have 2 sets of tires for the mr2 is fine summer an snow tires, an show respect to the driving conditons of the road an u will be fine.. or just drive jetta for a beater it is safer ..
henri

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
A mr2 will spin like crazy. Cuz the engine being in the rear the rear end wants to be in the front. Ive driven my mr2 all winter here in MN. I dont like doing it but my only other option is a van that well sux for gas.

But yes they do spin. Although if you know what your doing you wont spin out. Just be carefull and dont get on the gas to hard.. EVER!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
VoRgTo said:
A mr2 will spin like crazy. Cuz the engine being in the rear the rear end wants to be in the front. Ive driven my mr2 all winter here in MN. I dont like doing it but my only other option is a van that well sux for gas.

But yes they do spin. Although if you know what your doing you wont spin out. Just be carefull and dont get on the gas to hard.. EVER!
:bsflag: You just need to be careful and don't make the assumption that just because you give it gas, it will spin

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
people tend to drive "more dangerously" when they're in a sports car because the car can handle better. That alone will result in more spins in the MR2. If people drove the MR2 in slippery conditions like a normal car, without thinking that their MR2 is god of haldling, then their chances of getting in trouble is about the same or even less than those driving normal cars normally, depending on your tires and alignment.

·
Premium Member
13,168 Posts
VoRgTo said:
You never know what your car is going to do.!.
WRONG. A good drive should ALWAYS know what their car is going to do.

I firmly believe that there are TWO causes of accidents, mechanical failure (something breaks, very rare), and human error (wether yours or someone elses).

·
Registered
544 Posts
I drive in the winter, and in snow -- hell this morning there was ice everywhere. The MR2 isn't the best at coping with snow, so take it easy, drive very cautiously. The biggest problem I find is other drivers being way too close, or doing stupid stuff that causes others to take evasive action. Not much you can do about that except leave a good distance between cars. (More on the wiki.)

·
Registered
955 Posts
I drive my 91 turbo sometimes in the winter, I am a good driver but most of the time i drive my beater ford windstar. Not because i am scared of driveing the 2 in the snow, it is to keep myslef out of temptation. Two's can be lots of fun in wet conditions!!!! :evillaugh :evillaugh

·
Turbo-less since 6.17.07
3,911 Posts
Avery,

If you slow down a little more than you would in a normal car, you will be just fine. Just take it easy until you know what the car will do. The first time it snows, go take the car to an empty parking lot and screw around for a little while. Try things out. Turn and brake. Brake then turn. Turn and accelerate. Accelerate then turn. Try to simulate real driving situations and see what the car does. By no means will this make you a pro rally driver, but it will make you way more comfortable with the car.

The VERY first thing that you should do however is invest in a set of cheap steel wheels and put a set of snow tires on them. I HIGHLY recommend a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 tires. I used them the one year I had to drive in the snow and DAMN! They make a ton of difference.

If you do those two things, you will have cut your chances of spinning out by at least 75%. If you do them WITHOUT FAIL, you will not spin out due to driver error.

Let's face it. A car is a machine that needs to be controlled. Do not let people like VoRgTo (no offense) scare you. A car will only do what you let it do or tell it to do. Aside from some catastrauphic mechanical failure or someone else causing an accident, there is NO reason your car should spin out unless you tell it to.

I hope that helps a little. If it were me, I'd buy the Blizzaks and put them on the Jetta. That would be the best of both worlds.

-Scott

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
WyrmMaster said:
WRONG. A good drive should ALWAYS know what their car is going to do.

I firmly believe that there are TWO causes of accidents, mechanical failure (something breaks, very rare), and human error (wether yours or someone elses).
Exactly you need to get to know the car and it's limits and yours. :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all the replys

im considering buying this mr2 that is local

FS: 91 Toyota MR2 Turbo
177,000 kms on body
Power everything, factory alarm, black leather (good condition), stock boost 7-8psi

Record: Accident around 2000$ and a couple of break-ins/ vandalism.

Now: has a scrape on the back bumper (got hit and run in parking lot) needs some touching up.

Aircared till next summer
Recent oil change 100 kms ago

The following was done about 9000 kms ago by the previous owner:
new rebuild ct-26 turbo
New silver paintjob
new parking cable new clutch kit - cluth disc, release bearing (NO grinding)
new timing belt
new water pump
new crank seal
new oil pump o-ring and seal
new rear main seal
new top end (send head out to machine shop regrind valv seat, valves, clean, check and tested).
new valve seals
valves ajustment
new head gasket
new valve cover gaskets
Replace coolant hoses
Replace vaccum hoses
new radiators
new radiator cap
new thermostat with gasket
new fuel filter
new brake fluids
antifreeze flushed
transmission fluid
new windsheild/wiper blades

Compression is 170 across all four cylinders, runs great, and turbo pulls.

mods:
h & r race spring with
Gab adjustable shocks
indi-glow dash gauge kit
15?h rims (shown in pictures all seasons 90% +tread)
Bigger brake kit from dodge stealth tt front rotors, caliper, pads
power flow intake system
boost guage

Comes with
stock rims
Manual boost controller (uninstalled)
pioneer face plate, new speakers
(stock parts, changed parts)

before i say the price , what do you think it "Should" be sale for?
and is their anything i should be worried about , or ask about when i go to test it in the near future?

thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts