MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
^ I think I agree with that. Once the car is outdoors for years and animals get to it, we're talking a very expensive and labor intensive project to restore it. For a casual wrencher, you're looking at years of restoration. And in a market where parts are getting scarcer and more expensive, that's not a good prospect.

I would turn it on its head and look at the silver lining. As a restore project , it's a near disaster, but as a parts car for another one you buy in better condition, it's a bonanza.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Status update. Good news. Bad news. Good news.

Good news. The car rolls now if you push it. I did this by removing one brake pad off every wheel to free them to rotate. I initially struggled with this cause I couldn't figure out how to free them but once i figured it out the first one the rest were much easier.

Bad news. Looking underneath the car at each corner, it looks even worse than I had initially thought. I might just scrap it but haven't decided yet. I would still like to have a project car and learn but it might not be this car.

Good news. I'm meeting someone tomorrow to purchase a running MR2 that already has all the modifications I wanted to do to this one.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Justin is right though - YouTube rules! Between it and places like this and MR2.com there are lots of write ups and such that make things much more easy. But I hope you have some good tools - having the right tools for the job makes it easier and there's a lot you'll need as you hit different parts of all of this.
Plenty of info out there on nearly everything and these forums are a great resource for people willing to get you through whatever problem you can't track down an answer for.

TOOOOOOOOOLLSSSS - Yes Yes Yes... having the right tool for the job can save you hours and hours of work or repair after the fact of using the wrong tool. Can't say enough good things about having a proper arsenal for attacking any project. =D

My advice off the get go is to get some anti-seize, nut cracker or ATF in a spray and start soaking bolts... they are gonna be rusty AF... when taking them out try to turn them in a bit first (not too hard but it will sometimes break the rust) and as you are backing them out take some time to stop and turn them back in a bit to clear the threads... I've been slowed down A LOT by broken bolts. Previously I've also used a torch but have recently switched to using a heat gun on HIGH setting. Some bolts have threadlocker on them that has totally cured and will be near impossible to break free without adding heat.

Try to buy the things you need in sets/pairs as you can usually get a deal that way and chances are you will need it anyways. Be careful when mix-matching aftermarket stuff as sometimes they don't work together or will but need some tooling/customizing to fit.

Awesome cars, not as hard to work on as people would have you believe. Everything starts to make more and more sense as you dig into the car.

·
Registered
1992 SW20 N/A
11 Posts
It is definitely achievable! You'll need a sheet or 2 of 1mm steel, a sheet of 3mm (jackpoints), grinder, drill, hammers & welder.
Electricals will have to be checked, you can get full looms from scrap dealers though so other than the puzzle to match plugs to the right ports its easy enough.

I've just about done all round mine in terms of rotten bits & its as bad or worse than yours. It'll take time & its dirty blood sweat & tears work. Took me 3 hours & a bloodly big 4ft pole to get a bolt off today!

You could get a workable one & use it as references for panel shapes on the project one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Status update. Good news. Bad news. Good news.

Good news. The car rolls now if you push it. I did this by removing one brake pad off every wheel to free them to rotate. I initially struggled with this cause I couldn't figure out how to free them but once i figured it out the first one the rest were much easier.

Bad news. Looking underneath the car at each corner, it looks even worse than I had initially thought. I might just scrap it but haven't decided yet. I would still like to have a project car and learn but it might not be this car.

Good news. I'm meeting someone tomorrow to purchase a running MR2 that already has all the modifications I wanted to do to this one.
Sounds like you have a project car and a parts car now :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sorry it's been hectic but I have an update. This is a 1994 na shell that got stuffed with a gen 5 3sgte and an LSD e153. It has components from a 1993 turbo mr2. All done by tcs Motorsports in Kentucky. I got it last Wednesday and have been having a blast with it. No rust. Car from Arizona then Texas and clean title. Cosmetically it's rough in a few places but I plan to get that all fixed. Also maybe get a tune since the engine is on the stock tune. It feels quick but I think it could do better since it has upgraded intercoolers radiators and exhaust. And some Wilwood brakes.

Don't know what I'm going to do with the other one yet but will either keep it for parts or sell it off. Still deciding.

Attachments

21 - 29 of 29 Posts