MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This mr2 has been sitting outside for 5 years in Indiana after it threw up what I think was coolant. The car could still start and go about a year after it broke at least the small distance to the spot it is now. My current goal is to get it rolling as the brakes have seized up due to corrosion. My plan is to do the mechanical stuff and most of the interior and have a body shop do the body. The clutch has no resistance. There is rust that I tried to show in the photos. I've also seen squirrels in the engine bay. I know this will take a long time to fix up but I was curious if you guys think it's possible with the condition. I always wanted to work on cars as a hobby and this was my late father's car. Unfortunately at the time it broke I didn't really have the means or patience to have it fixed after it had been a little testy. Thanks for your thoughts and any advice. I would love to rebuild everything and add new and better components and a turbo one day. I have just recently ordered tools and stands off of Amazon. I'm a complete novice.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Anything is possible if you have the time and/or money to sink into it. To get that running may take a bit of work, especially if squirrels/mice got to the wiring. I think at this point you may need to take a few things apart just for peace of mind. Worst case, you may learn a few things and find you need a bit of help, or you may just flip it and call it a day. If you're up for a challenge and want a cool car at the end of it, i say go for it. I bought my MR2 from a co worker not running, and knowing very little about these cars (i was a honda guy for a long time) and with a bit of hard work and some parts, she runs great! I think you could do it too, as long as the rust isn't in critical spots.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm definitely getting the body done professionally. Don't wanna mess with something like that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Definitely start with the easy stuff and work your way up. Maybe by the time you get to that step you'll feel like enough of a rockstar to do it yourself.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Looking at those pics and knowing that it's been outdoors for half a decade makes it easy to muse that you have a lot of work coming up. I also hope you have this budgeted because it's going to cost thousands to get it to road-worthy condition.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but keep in mind that parts are getting much more difficult to source lately too - and if you find them, they're much more expensive than just 2 years ago. But like shiver posted, anything is possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the budget right now and I don't mind paying for quality parts. I'm also not looking to restore it to stock. I would actually prefer to use more modern and new parts where I can although obviously some parts will need to be sourced from other cars. I understand its going to be a lot but its already broken so I can't make it much worse other than just wasting money. And I'm just gonna take it one goal at a time. Right now my goal is to just get it to move so I can roll it into my barn.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is a YouTube video for almost everything automotive-related, and there is the Big Green Book (a must have) for specific MR2 jobs. There is plenty of help here. Body work is not as hard as you think, tho it is very messy and VERY time-consuming. I was a complete novice three years ago when I got my Two, and to this point, I've rebuilt or replaced most of the suspension and brakes, done a ton of body work, worked out some electrical gremlins, and vinyl wrapped the entire car. I have an even bigger project I'm working on now and will finish later this summer. In short, if you have the time and budget, you can do it, and what's more, you'll probably love doing it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for suggesting the service manual. I hadn't even thought of that! And thanks for the encouragement and good luck on your projects.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I have an even bigger project I'm working on now and will finish later this summer. In short, if you have the time and budget, you can do it, and what's more, you'll probably love doing it.
Whoa, you didnt mention a project to me, im curious! Unless it's what we've been discussing with my car too.

Justin is right though - YouTube rules! Between it and places like this and MR2.com there are lots of write ups and such that make things much more easy. But I hope you have some good tools - having the right tools for the job makes it easier and there's a lot you'll need as you hit different parts of all of this.

Cars are cars, which isnt much different from motorcycles (where I came from). It's a lot of nuts and bolts, lefty loosey, righty tighty etc So take on the project in memory of your pop.
As stated - parts will be hard to find at times and cost far too much, but it's ok, you'll be fine.

Let us know how we can help.
More pics might help too

·
Premium Member
11,976 Posts
Often the fuel pump will seize when a car has been sitting a long time. If the car starts, then that bridge is behind you.

If the car blew coolant, it is usually because an air bubble has lodged up in the head. This can result from a small leak over time, which can be a nuisance to find but is not a serious problem in itself. The bigger issue is how hot the engine got during the event. An overheated engine often has a compromised head gasket, which may blow out in the future even if it is not leaking now.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I agree with everyone's posts here.
Just adding, knowing what I know, get the motor running first and brakes and clutch working before spending cash on the body and interior.
Ultimately, you might be removing the motor to get it properly sorted out. But my best thought would be turn the motor over by hand and ensure nothing has seized.

Even finding a local guy to give it a once over could help get you in the right direction. Also there's a lot less traffic on this site but still has enough good, long term guys that know what's up to get you up and going.
I personally don't like Facebook for issue fixing.
Get a copy of the BGB and skim through it to know what it's got.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate everyone's advice and encouragement. My new tools will be coming Tuesday. I'm hoping I can get the car moving and in the barn by the end of the week and then I can start focusing on changing fluids and addressing issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm definitely pushing it into the barn. The problem at the moment is the brakes are seized up due to corrosion so it wont move at all. After I get my tools I'm going to try and remove the brakes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think it's the e-brake. The e-brake didn't work even when the car was running. The brakes and disks are corroded so I think they are seized. Tools are coming Tuesday and I have penetrative spray for the bolts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't think it's the e-brake. The e-brake didn't work even when the car was running. The brakes and disks are corroded so I think they are seized. Tools are coming Tuesday and I have penetrative spray for the bolts.
I just brought my 91 turbo back to life after 5 years. It was in doors so that made things easier but it’s so worth it. As Asia’s in the previous posts, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that don’t mind helping. 👍

·
Registered
448 Posts
I see the rust in one of the pictures, I’d say you should not attempt the resurrection. Who knows how badly the rust has eaten somewhere else. Unless you are good at cutting/patching works and own a body shop. Also, the big dent on the rear driver side quarter, man, good luck.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I see the rust in one of the pictures, I’d say you should not attempt the resurrection. Who knows how badly the rust has eaten somewhere else. Unless you are good at cutting/patching works and own a body shop. Also, the big dent on the rear driver side quarter, man, good luck.
Did you see the hole in the floor? Either it's from rust or someone trying to jack the car from the floorboard. This restoration has to be completely driven by your desire to drive your father's car again, there is no reason this car should drive again otherwise. If you are just fixing this car because you think it is cool and this one is in your backyard you need to find a running MR2 and start from there, your father's car is totalled.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts