MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What should the price be on an 88 mr2 supercharger with only 200 miles on rebuilt engine. It has no front valence and the paint could be better. EDITT
The interior is fine, missing radio, 160000 on the chassis and the rims are steelies. No mods to the car.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
its hard to guage what they are worth especially with what you have mentioned, if I had to take a guess in the dark id say 2500-3500

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
Without pics and more info, there's no way to tell (as mister2sc88 said).

SC prices range from $1000 to $8000 for the ones you can find for sale.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
It took me five months to find my second SC(this was spending an hour on the internet everyday 7 days a week. I paid $5000 for a near mint one with 75k on the odometer). If it's close by and the engine is in fact rebuild(I should say rebuild well). I would try and get it.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
It really depends on a lot more factors. I personally will avoid a car with a rebuilt engine with low mileage. Something was up that it needed a rebuild. In my mind I ask these questions: Why the rebuild? Did it overheat? Why? Was the reason fixed? Is the rebuild going to hold? Why the missing valence (since it'd cost at least $300-400 to get a used one put on there in any sort of reasonable shape)?

Then beyond that, how's the chassis? How many miles on it? What climate has it been in? Any accident damage? Any rust/bondo/repainting? How's the interior? How are the brakes? Clutc/trans? Tires (performance or just cheapie no-names)? What has the maintenance been on it since new (records)?

Knowing the little I've heard, I'd opt to lowball. It's a risk to me. Be upfront with any enthusiast buyers and you'll probably fetch more $. Non-enthusiasts only see it as an old car worth KBB values which are terribly low.

FWIW, I paid nearly $8K for my '89 SC over 3 years ago with full records, pretty much all original, with 26K on it. I've only seen a couple since then even in the ballpark.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
WIWhite87 said:
FWIW, I paid nearly $8K for my '89 SC over 3 years ago with full records, pretty much all original, with 26K on it. I've only seen a couple since then even in the ballpark.
Very NICE find.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
I paid $3500 for my 88sc. It had 184000 miles, and I had to fly to Utah, then drive it 800 miles to get it. Pretty good paint on it, interior was a mismathc of black and tan. Great looking aftermarket rims. Course, the motor blew up 3000 miles later. Leaked oil, a LOT. Oil cooler, distributor, valve covers, oil filter. My brother calls it the exxon valdeez, and my parking space has a black spot 6 foot by 4 foot. STILL pulled a 14.825 before it blew up. Maybe I overpaid, put I've got like $8000 in the car now and I don't care cuz its sooo much fun. That doesn't count legal fees or insurance. :evillaugh

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey man, I saw you at the track when you were running your car at sac raceway. I talked to you for a bit (was there in my red 88 sc). Sucks to hear your motor blew up. Good luck on your rebuild.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
kirkosaurus said:
Ahh, didn't know that was you! Put another name to a face. :)
That's the problem with the internet--names/faces/board names are hard to put together. Had I known you were there, I'd have approached you. Maybe at another event... I'm contemplating either Kingston or Strongstock.

·
MR2-less
9,855 Posts
WIWhite87 said:
That's the problem with the internet--names/faces/board names are hard to put together. Had I known you were there, I'd have approached you. Maybe at another event... I'm contemplating either Kingston or Strongstock.
I talked to you briefly. Your GF was with you, right? . I think you were in a caravan with us going somewhere I had my buddy Sam with me, EricS in his silver '85 20v, Mike in his blue '86 20v and Donny in his red '85. Can't remember where we were going but you were on the highway with us at one time.
I'm looking at possibly Strongstock. Won't make it to Kingston.

EDIT: Some pics in this post

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I did have my gf with me for NA2005. Reddish-brown hair, 5'8"... I don't remember ever caravanning though with you guys unless it was just in town to the track. I did meet Eric with his '86 20V... and talked to him about the paint color while he was auto-xing since I painted my '87 project that blue color, but not Mike with an '86 in repainted blue.

Maybe I talked to you and didn't even know it. :confused:

Strongstock is the meet I'm leaning toward as well. I've enjoyed driving the Dragon it in the past. At the fontana Dam & At the crash site of a Spyderchat member just down from the CROT
Here I am in the conventional post after removing my first engine in case you recognize me.

Amazingly, I was in your town before in my '89 SC around the end of October, 03. I went to a concert at the AmSouth Ampitheater and drove right through Smyrna on Murfreesboro Pike on the way back to the hotel in Lebanon before heading to "the dragon" the next day. Small world.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts