MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just purchased my first MR2 and had a question about the front bumper cover. While detailing the car I noticed the front was a bit "wavy" on the nose and upon further inspection there seems to be two very slight recesses on the fromt bumper right where the stock location nipples are--where the front plate should be mounted. This car never had a front plate mounted but I wanted to know if this waviness is a factory character or if it need to be corrected.

The car I purchased is in excellent condition with drtailed documentation and low mileage. It was painted in the past but that job is well codumented wuth photos and there is no sign of bumper damage.

Difficult to appreciate in the photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Siberian H.,

Yup, that is (unfortunately) not unusual for a NOS replacement MR2 front bumper cover (at least for the MKII). Toyota really fell down on the quality control for their last batch of replacement bumper coverss. The originals on new cars were virtually perfect in comparison. Maybe the molds got old, maybe the workers got lazy - who knows.

When I repainted my '91 a couple years ago I wanted to replace my old one (it had multiple cracked grill uprights). I ended up rejecting several of what was left from the remaining Toyota stock and had to settle for the 'least-wavy' one. The dealer said this was all that was available in SoCal - "take it or leave it, Toyota isn't making any more". Block-sanding it down a bit before the repaint helped but you can still see waves where the original had none.

If your paint is good, I'd just leave it alone. The cost to properly block sand, re-prime, and repaint would be very expensive. Just my 0.02.

Good luck,
Vincent

P.S. these bumper covers are made of TPO (thermo-plastic olefin) and require specific preparation before repainting to get the paint to adhere to a new one. If the mold release is not completely scrubbed off, washed, and 'sweated' to remove all traces of the oily waxy film, the paint will just peal off in a short time. Previously painted (i.e., old) bumper covers just need a sand and re-prime before applying paint.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I repainted my '91 a couple years ago ... The dealer said this was all that was available in SoCal - "take it or leave it, Toyota isn't making any more".
Which dealership in SoCal and do you think they have any left?

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts