MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow. I don’t think people realize how incredible this is. We’re looking at a potential 450hp-600hp build that fixes all MR2 rear suspension geometry woes in one swoop. Plus you get huge rear brakes and electronic parking brakes.

The Model S is very very wide. I assume you’re going to make it a widebody. Can you tell us how much wider?

Where do you plan on putting all those batteries? Most Tesla swaps start off very quickly because the entire power train is installed with just four bolts. Custom battery boxes and wiring become the big puzzles. The hard part is easy and the easy part is hard.

The Model 3 rear subframe seems like a better match for the MR2 but you don’t get as much horsepower as a Model S Sport RDU.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Wow. I don’t think people realize how incredible this is. We’re looking at a potential 450hp-600hp build that fixes all MR2 rear suspension geometry woes in one swoop. Plus you get huge rear brakes and electronic parking brakes.

The Model S is very very wide. I assume you’re going to make it a widebody. Can you tell us how much wider?

Where do you plan on putting all those batteries? Most Tesla swaps start off very quickly because the entire power train is installed with just four bolts. Custom battery boxes and wiring become the big puzzles. The hard part is easy and the easy part is hard.

The Model 3 rear subframe seems like a better match for the MR2 but you don’t get as much horsepower as a Model S Sport RDU.
Motor vehicle Hood Electrical wiring Red Automotive design
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
Motor vehicle Gas Machine Cylinder Auto part
Motor vehicle Gas Machine Cylinder Auto part

·
Registered
87 Posts
Now that you're so far down this rabbit hole, do you still feel the MR2 is a good candidate for this type of conversion? There isn't a chance in hell I'd ever be able to pull off something like this, but do you feel someone can make a business from doing these conversions? The viability of being able to street a "classic MR2" 20, 30, 40 years down the line may depend on something like this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
IMO, the MR2 will INCREASINGLY be a good candidate as EV technology improves.
Nobody is making small cars. Nobody is making good-looking, interesting cars like the MR2. Nobody is making cars with pop-up headlights. The value of the chassis is increasing and should continue.
The tech: As EVs become more standardized, modular, and lighter, swaps should get better.
A 200 pound battery will be easier to package than a 1000 pound battery. Integrated electronics that use fewer wires and use wireless data will make for easier installs. The electric motors themselves will get smaller and spin faster. In-wheel motors would allow the entire engine bay of the MR2 to be used for a giant brick of batteries and electronics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This build looks awesome and I can't wait to see how it comes out. You are a legend for even attempting this. So glad I found this.

Also someone mentioned doing solar panel roofs. I think that's a bad idea because I work at a dealer that used to have the Karma electric cars and their solar roofs were basically useless. It didn't help charge the battery at all, it barely helped the car maintain a charge if sitting for a long period of time... but electric cars are not my area of expertise so it's up to your discretion of course.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
What are you doing for batteries? The SW20 seems challenged in having enough space to get beyond about 120-150 km of real world range, which seems too short to me for an aftermarket EV that likely only has level 2 charging.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts