MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay.. so i've been having so much trouble since i got the car, first the engine, then the oil cooler, undetectable boost leak, alternator belts (4th one just got fried, which means, i'll get new pulley for the main crank), my throttle and ebrake cable both freeze at night and just yesterday, the wheel almost popped out, and battery guage broke.

okay.. so i was coming home from the school where i just got off the high way, my wheel was making this whobbling sound, soon after clunking sounds and smoke coming out. i immediately stopped the car in middle of 4 lane road, and found one of the wheel nut on the road. since there were lots of traffic, i had come back in and saw that the stud has been broken off of the hub. i went out angain, and found 3 of the studs broken, and only 1 nut barely hangin. fortunately, i had the pump jack and tools from changing alt. belt night before, so i put the wheel back on.

now i need to fix two things.
1. the turbo timer is set so that more i drive, longer it'll idle, which does by checking the voltage going in to the battery.
i have NA, so i have batt. gauge, and the gauge is not moving. it just sits in the middle, not going up when the car is reved up. and my turbo timer is also not increasing the time.

2. i need to put wheel studs back on the hub. do i need to buy the whole new assemblly? or just the studs?

sorry its so long, but i've had such a bad luck w/ all the mr2's i've had. i've about had it. but do you guys know what i could do to fix the gauge and hub problem?
thanks
AJ

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
You can change the studs if the holes aren't stripped. Studs have splines on them that lock them into the hub, if the holes in the hub are stripped you will have to replace it. If not, you can replace just the studs. For the battery gauge, have your charging system checked. It can be a bad gauge or a bad alternator, or even something else.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, i think w/ everything that's happening to me right now, i think i'll just put it at a reputable shop and let them take care of it. sigh.. i'm seriously thinking about going w/ different direction w/ this car.. i don't know..

·
Registered
192 Posts
I know the feeling... I don't know what the problem is. It seems every time I get the two back from the shop it breaks again... Clutch line went up 4 times, transmission once, alternator belt, alternator, the new altnernator I just put in it the wrong one I guess and my battery light and oil light flicker, the car now over heats (think it is the thermostat but the car ran me so poor from the alternator that I can't even afford to try at 16 dollar part) Longest the car has solidly run is 2 weeks. I owned the car for over a year now, October 2003, and put less then 7k on it. It spends most of it's time sitting in my drive way. To top things off, something is really screwed up with the vacumm system... If I unplug anything the car stalls. If I undo the oil cap with the car running it bogs horribly, and if I undo the PCV tube it does it worse. What's next? I want to sell the car and cut my losses at this point. Worst car I have ever had reliabilty-wise.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
burnu2. i know what you mean. i saw too many cases where the owner end up selling the car cheap because he didn't want to bother w/ little problems anymore. i had a friend that bought the car and spend as much on repairs, and ended up having to sell it for less than what he paid for. he hates mr2's now.. but some people have it good.

i'm just gotta try to fix the little stuff, and the big stuff will be done in the shop. as much as i hate to do it i'm sick of constantly fixing the car and get this in my way of school.

anyways, how long does it take to change the studs on the hub?
they are not stripped, but broken around where rotor and the wheel meet.
also, how do i diagnose the alternator/battery problem?
thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Wow, that sounds worse than my lemon...I mean MR2 Turbo. Let me just say that performance and dependability have always been at odds in the world of turbo 4's. Among most turbo 4's you have a really old one, mine is 14 years old, so I expect little things to always go out, and I just replace it. Hey it could be worse, you could of bought a DSM, those things are known for having tons of problems. You could of bought a just as fast stock mustang 5.0 but wound up getting 12 mpg, which would suck to put 30 dollars in your tank just to get 240 miles. Thats what my friend with a 5.0 averages, and my car is just as fast and can get 20 mpg. You have to sacrifice daily driving aspects, and some dependability if you want a fast car. Sorry I cant help out with your problems though, Im still a n00bie with my MR2, Im just coming around to fuel cut.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
1. the turbo timer is set so that more i drive, longer it'll idle, which does by checking the voltage going in to the battery.
i have NA, so i have batt. gauge, and the gauge is not moving. it just sits in the middle, not going up when the car is reved up. and my turbo timer is also not increasing the time.
Take your fist and punch the gauge cluster, right by the battery voltage. No, not as hard as you can, just like you're knocking on the door. Does it move? If so, then it's just the common problem of the voltage needle going out. Happened to my friend's 92 NA.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well w/ the mustang analogy, i have it worse then, i average about 15mpg now, completely stock.. (yes i know something is wrong)

and i'm not saying i have it worse, but its just that i'm just sick of old cars.. i take care of my cars, i have a miata that i have 200k on odometer. but this was too much i guess.
i know dsm are pita to maintain, and i should be more thankful for being only this bad.. but still.. i'm in the middle of college and preparation for dental school, so the car problem only adds to problem.

another thing is that i don't drive my car hard, and not very often. soo more frustration b/c i cant get my car to run right. oh well... i'm gathering parts as we speak to fix the car. i'll prolly park the car until i can get everything fixed.

but how about those questions i asked?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts