MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... I was wondering what the hell is going on... when I take a turn the backend wants to give out... I have to slow down say on a 35mph turn... I need to lower it to 25 or so... in order for me to keep control of the car. I have no clue what it could be. I already checked my suspension... maybe I missed something here. I'm running JIC coilovers and my swaybar is all connected to the end links... which are connected to my coilovers. Ever since I installed these coilovers I've had this issue. Could it be that I have the front coilovers lower then the rear? I have no idea anymore what it could be.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Stiffer suspension will cause the MR2 to have more oversteer. Maybe get better or bigger tires?

My car is easier to get the rear sliding now also since I put coilovers on. I didn't change my rear sway bar yet because you need to lower the crossmember and I have no clue what my alignment currently is. Waiting to do a few more things to the suspension before getting it aligned.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hhmmmm well I was already running 275 tires.... I'm going to be running within a week or so 285. Something is totally weird here.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
SKDiablo said:
What size rims do you have that you can fit 275?
:werd:

and maybe you need to soften up the rear! or buy an aftermarket front swaybar and leave the rear stock.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Wow,

You have 275s on the rear and need to slow down to 25 in a 35mph rated curve? Something sounds wrong, but I'm sorry I am not able to help you with suggestions. Balljoints?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I second that.
I ran super hard KYB AGX's in front with softer struts in the back on stock springs and didn't have problems. Soften the rear up.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good idea guys.... but I have the JIC Coilover kit that doesn't have the damper adjustment. I don't know if this is what you guys are referring to.

To answer the question... I had those tires on my 9.5 wide SSR wheels. They sat flush w/ the fenders. Of course this was before the widebody. Now since I went widebody thanks to JDMR2 I'm going to be rolling on 18x10 w/ a 285 tire.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
According to my crib notes, JICs are 3.0 kg ft. and 7.0 kg rear (168# ft. and 392# rear). Is that what you have? I would buy softer rears, or stiffer fronts if thats your preference. In the meantime, you might try disconnecting the rear sway bar.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I disconnect the rear swaybar the car gets worse. I don't even have to turn for the car to start swirving. That is freakin scary..... DAMN... now I have to figure out what I have on the JIC's. How the heck do I go about doing that. I know the fronts are extremely tight.... the rear I didn't think was THAT tight... but this was happening even before I put the front coilovers. For a while I took the fronts off and drove w/ the stock ones to see if this was it... but nope.... still did it.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Stiffen the front and/or loosen the rear to cure oversteer. Do you have adjustable sway bars and/or shocks? If so, stiffen the front sway bar/struts and make the rears softer.

-Scott

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
... but this was happening even before I put the front coilovers.
Sounds like you may have a problem unrelated to the JICs. Check all of your rear suspension links for tightness. Don't know what part of LA you are in, but if you want I could take a look at it. I'm in Harbor City (near Torrance). Also, I highly recommend Darren at West End Alignment in Gardena for performance alignments.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Get an alignment. A small amount of toe out in the rear can cause your problem - especially if one side is toed in and one is out. Does the car oversteer in one direction more than another?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I was also gonna suggest alignment, but can someone explain stiffening the front for better handling? I run KYB's and have them all at soft. Does stiffening the shock cut it's life short? Thanks.

Kris

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Dubk said:
I was also gonna suggest alignment, but can someone explain stiffening the front for better handling? I run KYB's and have them all at soft. Does stiffening the shock cut it's life short? Thanks.

Kris
I was wondering that too. Does the agx last longer or shorter depending on hardness/softness setting?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DUHHHHH why didn't I think of that one.... LOLOL.... You guys are going to want to hang me.... I have not ONCE taken my car in for a wheel alignment. Totally forgot.... when it started doing it... I thought the wheels were unbalanced and had them rebalanced.... even on the old wheels it did it... what a fool. Since I didn't drive it much no way I would notice it because the tires barely would get wear and tear..... I'll take it to get an alignment before I put my new wheels on. If I get it aligned and then put my brand new wheels on.... will I need another alignment... I'm afraid they're going to scratch the wheels w/ the machine they use.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts