MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a few years since someone posted photos of Toyota's assembly line where some of our MR2s were hand assembled. I've searched and I don't see them on the current webboard. Does anyone know where those photos are or where to link to them?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
i dont believe the MR2's were hand assembled...

are you thinking of the pictures of the MKII MR2 Spider being built?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
MKII MR2s from the early 1990's probably, but not Spiders. I'm recalling seeing several photos taken within a Japanese factory with racks and racks of various body parts, like fenders and frames, stacked up awaiting assembly. I've worked in a GM auto factory but Toyota's MR2 photos that someone posted didn't look like that. There was no visible evidence of a mechanized assembly line... though it could have been out of view. I thought some of the newer MR2 owners would enjoy seeing such photos if someone has any.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
DDTPRM said:
i dont believe the MR2's were hand assembled...

are you thinking of the pictures of the MKII MR2 Spider being built?
Taken from www.mr2.com

MkII MR2's are basically hand built. Toyota apparently subcontracts them to Yamaha, at a build rate of about 2000 per month.
It is actually quite common to hand build low production cars as an assembly line is only economical if you are producing large quantities.

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
I have been looking for the images... They exist. It is on one of the european IMOC sites.
It is pretty cool... rows of brand new virgin 3sgte's and fenders... unpainted chassis... sweeeeeet

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
I guess you did not read the copyright on the page?
Marijke van Overbeeke is old school... big time... the agreement was that we dont copy them. You know, being fellow MR2 owners we tend to not do stuff like that.

·
Registered
723 Posts
No I didn't read the copyright, they were emailed to me several years ago and have been on my website for at least 4. Don't just assume I took them from that site and put them on just now, I've didn't even click on the link. I don't know who this Marijke van Overbeeke is and there are no watermarks on the photos.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for finding them! Look at the happy face on the assembly plant employee on the right of the last photo near the 1993 Aquamarine MKII turbo in the above linked series here. Maybe he also owned one and really enjoyed building them?

·
Registered
718 Posts
OT

Matt94MR2 said:
Taken from www.mr2.com

It is actually quite common to hand build low production cars as an assembly line is only economical if you are producing large quantities.
Not necessary. Toyota Production system(TPS/ lean production) is famous for making low volume prodution profitable. Every automaker (or any industry) is trying to be lean, but no one is as successful as Toyota.

In my opinon, mr2 is assembled just like other cars. As you can see the second pic from the bottom, there are other cars in that assembly line.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
tedy said:
Not necessary. Toyota Production system(TPS/ lean production) is famous for making low volume prodution profitable. Every automaker (or any industry) is trying to be lean, but no one is as successful as Toyota.

In my opinon, mr2 is assembled just like other cars. As you can see the second pic from the bottom, there are other cars in that assembly line.

did they have this system yet in 1989? it's my understanding that every generation mr2 has been hand built

edit: oops, just looked at that pic...but it still appears they were hand assembled

·
Registered
718 Posts
they started the system after the World War II. Toyota not only survived the bad econ after WWII w/ this system but also beat the sale of american cars later on.

In this particular workstation, it looked like cars were hand assembled. Howerver, it doesnt mean those cars were hand assembled in other stations as well. There could be some automated workstations in the upstream.

Edit: Toyota is never a fan of high tech automation, even today. It uses more human labor than machine labor. If MR2 was mostly hand assembled that time, so were other cars.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
question about those pics, there is a pic of a stack of.....things. they are metal and sqaure.
what are they?

awesome pics though, thats real cool

garrett

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
bill i got one, cost me a fortion to get, but its not going on my wall, its going to replace the crushed in guardrail formed original sadly..... ill get a pic of it for you

·
Registered
740 Posts
i always though that the MR2 was hand built in a subcontracted yamaha factory due to its low production numbers. Automation would not have ben economical for this reason. Either way, i still love my car, so I don't really care. :) Would have been cool to work on that assembly line.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts