MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I work at a University completing my PhD in automobile aerodynamics. Since I own a 1988 MR2 I thought I'd put it in our test facility and see what happens. A year and a ton of analysis later, I've finally finished it. The report is somewhat big (due to all the images) but I've hosted it on my website and hopefully there should be no download problems.

GO HERE FOR THE FULL REPORT!

As a sample of what I have done, here are some pics. But the report has everything, pictures, videos, analysis, recommendations.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. It would be "easy" in the sense that to get some data all I would need is to buy a model of a Mk2 and put it in the facility. However, processing all the data and making sense of the results is the time consuming part. If there is enough desire, I could try and put something together.

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
Did you take into account the flow through the engine bay and how it interacts with the "dead" flow over the engine compartment? There is quite a bit of flow through this area, and that has an effect on the flow of the spoiler.
And you use "Downforce" a lot in the paper. I read a lot of papers concerning automotive aero and they are normally written a lot different then you wrote yours.
I see no hard numbers, just opinion.
Your elevated wing data give no data about what wing profiles were used.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bill. As I noted right at the beginning of my report, the model has several discrepancies when compared to the actual car. Chief among them is no engine bay or through-flow in this area. I am working toward producing a 3D printed model which will incorporate this feature.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding my usage of downforce, in the context of my report it is used to describe negative lift. As per the difference in writing style. Generally aeronautical and mechanical engineers have their own "ways" of writing about aerodynamics. I am coming from an aeronautical background, so some of my explanations are more in-line with how they are presented in that community. If there is anything unclear, I would be happy to clarify.

As I mentioned in my report, I was unable to make direct drag and lift force measurements. That apparatus is currently being assembled and calibrated and may be used in the future. The report focuses on the overall changes in flow structure as measured by PIV, which is a standardized technique used in the experimental flow community. Changes to the flow structure can be used to infer changes in aerodynamic forces. And yes, when it comes down to it, some of my comments are my opinion, however they are the opinion of someone who studies this for a living (that's not to say I am 100% accurate, but perhaps more convincing).

As for the elevated wing, I have no idea what wing profiles were used. The wing came with the model that I purchased. They were highly cambered non-symmetric profiles. My guess is something like Selig 1223 profiles or something similar.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks gordo. It was fun, still have a few more things to investigate. Will keep everyone updated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts