MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through my first tank of gas and got 31.8 mpg. To tell you the truth, I am pleasantly surprised. I expected for an engine that spins that fast in high gear to get worse. What is everyone else getting for gas mileage?

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
most recently on my trip to a concert last weekend... 35 mpg :D mostly highway at 75+, maybe 50-75miles out of 300 on the tank was city.
i average a very solid 27mpg doing all city driving.
this is a 20v silvertop however.
much better than my turbo at 22/27.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
relly? u guys do that well?........ are u taliking n/a or SC i but u guy got manual trans though, i don't like my auto..... i haven't totaled min up, i'm gussing i get like 22 or somthing,

·
20v Super Two
5,026 Posts
neko said:
most recently on my trip to a concert last weekend... 35 mpg :D mostly highway at 75+, maybe 50-75miles out of 300 on the tank was city.
i average a very solid 27mpg doing all city driving.
this is a 20v silvertop however.
My 20v gets 27 city, 34 highway.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
On premium gas with a very heavy lead foot i got 24mpg. On regular with a heavy foot im getting about 22mpg sometimes, i dont understand it. I should replace my fuel filter, oil filter, etc I guess. I have an NA manual transmission.

·
3,519 Posts
On my 85 NA I got a pretty consistent 26mpg city and most I ever got was 35mpg on a long trip. I am not easy on that car either. I rarely see under 4k rpm around town :)

But now I am working on my silvertop 20v swap. I hope I keep the same fuel economy.

Now my turbo 91 mr2 I get pretty consistent 16-17mpg and most I ever saw was on the way to topeka...27mpg. But I just like hearing that turbo spool up too much... :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
N/A 5 speed and I got 31.6 mpg my last tank of regular. Sure beats my 10-12 I get from my S/C F150 Harley!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
My '86 5spd NA gets me 27-30mpg depending on whether I'm driving light or heavy and chevron or other gas. I was pleasantly surprised to find myself getting +3mpg after filling at chevron, but after a few fills the advantage went away. I think it just cleaned things out and whatever gas I use runs better now.
This is mixed city/freeway, but my all city runs get me 26-28 anyway.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
i liked my old 85 i used to have i used to get 35 city 38 high. Now on my 87 i get 27 both highway and city. trying to figure this one out

·
Registered
29 Posts
My completely stock 88SC gets about 29 mpg, mostly light traffic commuting, not babying but not really tough driving. Best is about 34 mpg on the freeway, 26 mpg at 100 mph with the tops off! I lose about 3 mpg on the highway with the headlights up. My 87 NA used to do slightly better.

Glen G.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I seem to get 23-28 but I like "spirited" driving :rolleyes: Best I ever got was around 40 but that was when I had my permit and would just drive around the naborhood at "25" mph. I take it to 7K regularly every day. Need to get the motor down on power so I can do a motor swap and my dad doesnt say I waisted a good motor.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Crikey, wonder why my mileage has always been so bad! I thought it was average to get 24 city / 32 hwy on an NA. With my SC I get ~21 city and 28 highway. I did a lot of highway driving last weekend with the a/c rarely on and I got 28.3mpg over two tanks, which I was pretty happy with.

Have a new engine with new O2 sensor, cat, air filter, plugs, cap/rotor, etc. Wierd.

Sure beats the 13mpg I get with my RX-7 though. :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
On my '85 NA I get around 27-28 with mixed city and slight highway.

I think it might improve if I replaced the 192k miles O2 sensor :angel:

And BryanH, I feel (or felt) your pain with the Rx7.

how could only 1.3 liters drink so much fuel? Oh yeah, a lot of it was blowing raw out the tailpipe :evillaugh

Flames out the back of a turbo Rx7 are way cool! (and quite easy to acheive!)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I kept meticulous fuel records on my 1st MkIsc for years. And I keep them casually on my 3rd SC car. Mileage has been amazingly consistent between all three of my SC's.

26.5 MPG Grand Average

The *worst* I ever got ---redlining from every stop--- was 19 MPG
The *best* I ever got ---trying to drive economically--- was 33 MPG

both of these figures resulted from experiments. I was *trying* to find the MPG extremes. Everyday driving *still* gets me about 26 MPG, even after 18 years...

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had a '86 automatic (no power up hills) that I swear got 40+
I didn't have it very long 4-5 weeks. I took it on a trip
to Chicago and back (250 miles one way) I didn't fuel
up until coming back, in Madison, and got 340 miles out of that tank.

but my '87 gets 28 if I'm on it all of the time
but 30-32 regularly.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts