MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello;

If the employees at the DMV weren't so sour, I wouldn't mind asking them. Also the DMV website is ambiguous and frankly, I need answers in laymens terms.

So; I moved to CA about 6 months ago and left my MR2 behind. It is currently rotting at my parents house. I bought an Integra for cheap yet sporty transportation but I hate it and want my MR2 back.

Question I have is; what is it going to take to get it registered? I know its been done before, just kind of looking for a what to expect guide both financially and smog-wise.

I pass with flying colors in CO. Only mod I have is an Aussie DP, with the stock exhaust system. I suppose I would need to post numbers(CO, NOx) for you guys, and I will try and get my parents to find my last emissions statement. I know I was far under the limit with just the single cat- which was to my amazement.

So if you can, help me please.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
In laymens terms, the car has to pass smog.

Technically, its against federal law to tamper with cat converters. CA enforces this unlike many states.

What to expect: Throw on fresh ignition parts, bring ur ignition within 3 degrees of btdc, remove aftermarket engine parts that aren't issued a carb # by www.arb.gov, read smog tips on the forum and pay the $50 fee at any local smog station to smog the car.

Your downpipe is illegal over here. I dont know what the fed fine is for tamper with the cat if caught, but you will fail visual inspection right off the bat if you bring it in as-is. The smog tech will see it and he won't even let you smog it. FYI, what smog techs can't see they cannot ding you for.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
on my mk2 it had to be at 10 degrees btdc (same for my mk1) i failed the first time i went because it was at 12 and so i tried to retard it and went a bit to far so i failed again because it was at 7 btdc -_-

i would invest in a timing gun if you are planning on living in California

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, you asked me to PM you. I am in North OC, about 30 mins - 1 hour from Lawndale.

tougetC, you've exceeded your PM quota.

·
Super Moderator
2,559 Posts
It may not be as hard as it sounds to register your car here. Federal cars don't have to conform to CA reduced-emissions standards - only the limits the car was originally required to pass. So yes it's legal to "import" a 49-state car to California.

When I bought a car out of state I had to take it to the DMV and have the VIN verified during the title transfer. You already own your MR2 so I'm not sure if this step is necessary.

Just remove the DP, make sure your exhaust is factory from the header to the last cat, set your timing to spec and make sure the car is tuned up. I'm guessing you have a MK2T. Those pass smog easily if nothing is wrong. http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=330912

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bryan:

Do 49-state cars need to pass CA visual? I was thinking of getting a custom made b-pipe with a cat in it (would that pass visual? its not stock, but I would have 2 cats). If all I have to do is meet smog numbers, I'm sure my car can do that as is. It was more than 10 times below CO regulations last time I took it in.

·
Super Moderator
2,559 Posts
A custom b-pipe wouldn't pass visual inspection. From what I remember the exhaust has to be factory stock from the exhaust manifold through the last cat.

Basically what I was saying before is that 49-state cars don't have to be converted to CA spec when they're brought into the state.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts