MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See the following picture:


temporary image hosting

What is that? It looks organic, like a type of mould fungus. This car has been sitting outside in the rain for a long time and leaks. Now it is sitting in a dry garage, but it never seems to ever dry fully, even though it is not in use at all.

Last time the car was in use, there were similar white deposits, but I removed them manually just by wiping them off. Now, a month later without using the car at all, it looks like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Organic growth

If that is organic growth, looks like it could be from the picture, just wiping it off will actually cause it to be spread onto surrounding surfaces. Mold doesn't really die, it goes dormant if it doesn't have what it needs to survive. Mold requires a food source, the correct amount of moisture, and the correct temperature range. If the mold doesn't have these three conditions met, it goes dormant and if you just wipe it dry, the spores will become airborne and settle in other areas. There are mold cleaning products you can get at home improvement stores or you can make a bleach / water mix. Either way, I would get a rag wet with whatever solution you use and wipe the surface with that, don't spray the solution directly on the mold. As with any chemicals, be careful with your skin, breathing, and do a test area to make sure it doesn't affect the surface you are working with. Also dispose of the rag when complete to avoid additional cross contamination.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top