MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up on an interesting job opportunity I got wind of thru a South Jersey SCCA Region member. Hankook is trying to become the next biggest Korean tire company (a la Kumho) to make it big in motorsports in the USA. They supply tires for the US Touring Car Championship and the new Spec Miata Pro class series. Yes I have applied, but think my salary requirements may be too high for them.

Just got off the phone with Keven McDonald from Hankook Tires.

They are desperately seeking a Motorsports Manager for their company. He asked me to help.

The requirements are pretty basic, no formal degree needed,! just great social skills, a willingness to travel to and support their professional events, and the base pay sounds like it?ll be more that 50k plus they pay all travel expenses. It sounds like a lot of work, but a dream job for the motorsports fanatic, and a good fit for a driver in our club. It probably contains a fair bit of dealing with, and possibly even trips to Korea once in awhile.
Hankook is based out of, and the job is in Wayne, NJ, which is near Paterson.

Marketing director is Bill Bainbridge 800.426.5665 or [email protected] .

Or contact Keven McDonald at [email protected] .

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Sounds very interesting, but I would think that might drastically inhibit the person's ability to go racing themselves.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed, no time to do any of your own racing. They make real slicks, DOT racing, autocross, and rally tires. If you have to cover all forms of motorsports, you'd never get a weekend off, but I think the email I got said the pro series only (USTCC and Miata).

Here's the USTCC schedule

March 10-12 Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca, Monterey, CA
with A1GP

April 1-2 Mexicali GP street race, Mexico
Headliner

April 21-23 Mid Ohio Raceway, Lexington, OH

May 20-21 Miller Motorsport Park, UT
(EAST-WEST shoot out)

June 10-11 BeaveRun Motorsport Complex, Big Beaver Borough, PA

June 16-18 Portland International Raceway, Portland, OR (not confirmed yet)
with Champ Car World Series

July 7-9 Summit Point Raceway, Summit Point WV
with Hyperfest

July 28-30 San Jose Grand Prix, San Jose, CA (not confirmed yet)
with Champ Car World Series

August 11-13 Mid Ohio Raceway, Lexington, OH

August 19-20 Pacific Raceways, Kent, WA
with NASCAR

October 7-8 Putnam Park, Mount Meridian, IN

October 21-22 Road America, Elkhart Lake, WI

October 28-29 Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Las Vegas, NV

Here's the Miata schedule

Date
Venue
With

May 5-7
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Monterey, Calif.
Grand-Am

May 26-29
Lime Rock Park, Lakeville, Conn.
Grand-Am

June 17-19
Mosport Int'l Raceway, Bowmanville, Ontario, CAN
CASCAR

June 23-25
Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, Ohio
Grand-Am

Sept. 1-2
Miller Motorsports Park, Tooele, Utah
Grand-Am

Sept. 22-24
Road America, Elkhart Lake, Wis.
Champ Car

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
What happened to Doug Reed?

·
Two for me, None for you
6,115 Posts
Wow, I'm interested. Wayne, NJ is about 20mins from my house...not bad at all. Are they only requiring you to work on weekends?

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The only info I got was in the first post.

I don't/didn't know Doug Reed, so can't tell what happened to him. I suspect he found greener pastures elsewhere.

I would guess responsibilities might include;

logistics (making sure all the right stock and mounting/balancing personnel and equipment are at each event. making sure technicians are at the track with the right equipment <pyrometer and pressure gauge> making sure all the motorsports retailers have the stock they need. the motorsports retailers from each area may be the ones supporting the races, i.e. no factory trucks/personnel)

technical liaison (forwarding technical questions/issues/feedback to the right engineering department(s) and passing the answers back to individual/all competitors. forwarding production/quality issues back to the production department)

programatic liaison (interfacing with race series officials about any tire related items, getting vendor/industry credentials for all personnel at the track. figuring out with race/track officials where the trucks and mounting/balancing equipment will be during a race weekend, if it is factory)

product development (working with the engineering departments on future improvements to construction and/or compound)

PR/Marketing (making sure alll cars/drivers display the Hankook decals/patch in the right place and making sure all track signs are up in the right places, having cute girls around/at the track to hand out swag, representing Hankook at various trade shows, etc. advising the Marketing department on where to spend their advertising dollars)

financial (estimating/tracking/managing the motorsports department budget and competitor accounts, if they pay anthing for tires).

There may even be some hiring/firing of personnel involved.

Speaking Korean would definitely be an advantage. The email I got mentioned travel to Korea. I'm sure that is related to face-to-face discussions with engineering, production, and management there. Daily communications with Korea via email and phone will also be taking place, so speaking/writing Korean would be useful with that too.

I'm pretty sure the job entails regular 40 hour Mon-Fri AND weekends when events like races or trade shows are taking place. I would be surprised if any travel time Mon-Fri didn't count toward your 40 hour week. I would also be surprised if you got paid anything for time on weekends. In other words it is a salaried position (vice an hourly one). I would also expect that health/vacation benefits are included.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
YAY!

Hey Peter I just sent over my resume, sounds like a job Id be perfect in! Ive been to Korea and speak some Korean, I love autox and drifting! Put in a good word for me, Ill hook you up with free tires when I get the job lol juz kidding! Wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot by making you guys so smart about this job that I have applied to.

Obviously I think they will have to decide whether they want "cheap" young inexperienced people, or can afford an expensive old fart like me that has been there and done most of that before.

Yes, anyone from this message board that does get the job owes me free tires (or at least a bunch of swag).

Rather than reference me in any application, please say you heard about it from JD King and the South Jersey SCCA.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
No big deal. It's just that these guys don't know who I am (other than being another applicant). They will know/recognize JD's name and South Jersey SCCA. I would also like JD and South Jersey SCCA to get credit for helping to fill the job. It might help them keep/increase the Hankook support for the SJR autocross series.

I should also reiterate that I don't know anything more about the job than what I copied from an email I got (and posted above). I am only guessing from the title and the tasks stated in the email. It is possible that they only want someone to travel for the race weekends and represent/schmooze for the company. Personally, if that's what they want/what the job is, I would have given it a much different title.

Here's the website for Hankook Motorsports

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/motorsports.asp

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
I'm really not excited about the potential conflict with my racing, but I am open to see and learn what they have to offer. Good luck to you as well :)

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
mr2niceguy said:
Youz the man, my hero! Ill drag race u to the job, oh wait Ill lose lol!
You would win. Hyde doesn't even have an engine at the moment :(

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
lol i sent a resume in too. No experience or ne thing. U think i'll get called lol? FINGERS CROSSED!!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts