MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

above are the results of having the kirkosaurus polyurethane motor mounts in my AW11.

i AM NOT intending to bad mouth kirkosaurus or his work. i am trying to point out that the front motor mount bolts might not be strong enough to withstand the force being placed on them by the motor, in the situation presented where there is no flex allowed in the front motor mount area.

PhoS, Brandoo, Sandra and myself have all had very similar results. we also (as far as i know) drive our aw11's on a daily basis, and drive them a bit on the hard side.

btw - i am STILL wanting to purchase a set of TRD motor mounts. please DO NOT delete this post.

:update:

i forgot to mention, Sandra's motor mounts were NOT a pair of kirkosaurus mounts. she filled the mounts herself. her rear front motor mount bolt was stripped out, and she does not have the 'missing chassis' piece that Brandoo and myself have. she used the same 'shore' that kirkosaurus uses.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
it's not the mounts... its the chassis in that spot.... I reinforced mine with plate steel and welding.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
How long were the inserts installed for before this happened?

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
You may want to edit your post. Until you have proof that Kirks inserts were the cause of this problem its not fair to blame his product.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
This failure was stated in another thread. Pictures were requested. I am thankful these were posted.

This has been an issue brought up throughout the past few years--will the use of urethane filler put too much stress on chassis mounting points. IIRC, even Armando ripped apart his chassis several years ago. Initial blame was placed on it probably being too rusted, thus weakening it. Certainly these pictures show a non-rusted chassis having massive failure. Whether or not it is inserts or DIY filling, it seems that it can lead to failure not seen prevalently in non-modified moutns.

I was on the fence about any solid mounts. I contemplated using 60 shore urethane myself to keep a relatively soft mount.

Is there some way to create inserts in a softer substance such as rubber or a very soft urethane as a compromise?

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
All he is saying is that running stiffer than OEM mounts will more than likely cause a broken mounting point. I know a few people here that have broken mounting point without using either the poly filled mounts or Kirk's mounts.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Not12Listen is *NOT* blaming it on Kirk's mounts. It's the filling of the mounts of any kind. Maybe the shore level of the polyurethane is just too strong or maybe it's a weak point in the chassis.

Either way since I filled mine myself & they didn't do such a great job there was flex in mine so only my bolt stripped & I'm not missing any pf my chassis.

I just don't want anyone else's MR2 to get hurt. :(

Here are pics of my mount. You can see where it separated from mount.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
86AW11 said:
You may want to edit your post. Until you have proof that Kirks inserts were the cause of this problem its not fair to blame his product.
re-read this portion...

"i AM NOT intending to bad mouth kirkosaurus or his work. i am trying to point out that the front motor mount bolts might not be strong enough to withstand the force being placed on them by the motor, in the situation presented where there is no flex allowed in the front motor mount area."

this is a general statement, not a slam on kirkosaurus or his work. the idea he has presented is SOUND and LOGICAL.

i am NOT blaming kirkosaurus or his work. i am trying to demonstrate that it might be unwise to put the front motor mount into a situation where this is zero flexibility.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
not12listen said:
i am trying to demonstrate that it might be unwise to put the front motor mount into a situation where this is zero flexibility.
I feel thaat the insert is a worthwhile (for me necessary) upgrade... and that anyone who installs them should modify that mounting point.

Mine ripped out on my 88SC with stock mounts, and on this car with the inserts.

Don't skip out on an upgrade... fix the real problem.. the weak mounting point.

Both times I have repaired the mounting point with 1/4" plate steel and welded it in... and never had a problem with the reinforced solution.

Marco

·
Premium Member
14,333 Posts
Like, whoa. What did that feel/sound like? o_O

p.s. "Don't point the caulk at me, I don't want any to get in my eye!" :blockhead

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Conor said:
p.s. "Don't point the caulk at me, I don't want any to get in my eye!" :blockhead

"This stuff is not going to come out of my hair very easily" *Dad walks by with a odd look on his face*

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nw_mr2 said:
What did you torque the bolts to when you reinstalled the mounts?
uh..... tight?

i didnt use a torque wrench. but, the motor mount sits very firmly against the transmission and the chassis.

·
<--- Scott, oh...
5,715 Posts
not12listen said:
you hear the bolts scraping against the chassis. and some minor clunking and some rattling.
Was the mount point busted when I rode in your car last week? If so, I didn't really notice it.

uspspro said:

I'd be interested in the history of the problem with the mount point. If it is a known problem why wouldn't it be in the list of things to look for when buying an aw11? In the case of Phos, Brando, Sandra, and not12listen, why did it take 15 or 20 years for it to be a problem on their cars?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I busted mine with my own filled mounts. I drove the car hard and the it was Shore 80a urethane I believe. The response and shifting was great, but that is a weak point on the chassis that should be beefed up regardless of the type of mounts you use.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
uspspro said:
I feel thaat the insert is a worthwhile (for me necessary) upgrade... and that anyone who installs them should modify that mounting point.

Both times I have repaired the mounting point with 1/4" plate steel and welded it in... and never had a problem with the reinforced solution.

Marco
i have no problems at all with upgrading the motor mounts.

i'm curious what the TRD motor mounts are like compared to the OEM parts. heh. i'll find out (hopefully) soon. :)

the thing that i pointed out in the post that was 'removed' is that my original motor mounts were the originals, and they were there for 19 years... with no problems... toyota has put more time, effort, research and money into their vehicles and parts, than any of us can even dream of coming close to.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
skaughtto said:
Was the mount point busted when I rode in your car last week? If so, I didn't really notice it.

I'd be interested in the history of the problem with the mount point. If it is a known problem why wouldn't it be in the list of things to look for when buying an aw11? In the case of Phos, Brando, Sandra, and not12listen, why did it take 15 or 20 years for it to be a problem on their cars?
yes it was, and you only hear it at specific rpms... its weird. it tends to be in the low rpms (ie. 1500rpm to 2500rpm).

well, i had my mr2 for 3 years prior to putting the inserts in place, and it was using the OEM mounts for 16 years prior.

i put the inserts in 6 months ago, and just recently, i heard the tell tale signs that my motor mount was in bad shape... today i went under my mr2, and removed the motor mount. the pix show the results.

american_zero said:
I busted mine with my own filled mounts. I drove the car hard and the it was Shore 80a urethane I believe. The response and shifting was great, but that is a weak point on the chassis that should be beefed up regardless of the type of mounts you use.
yeah. the response was awesome. no doubt of that.

yes, i do agree that the chassis should be strengthened, but again, my MR2 lasted for 19 years with the original mounts and chassis material, without any problems...

all i gotta say is: Toyota knows what the hell they are doing.

·
MR2-less
9,855 Posts
WIWhite87 said:
IIRC, even Armando ripped apart his chassis several years ago. Initial blame was placed on it probably being too rusted, thus weakening it.
That is correct. Armando's car was a rust bucket which is why he ditched his chassis for another.

As with any performance upgrade there is always a risk of damage.
I've sold these inserts for almost 2 years now and 3 people have had a problem? I'd say those were pretty good statistics.

I always tell folks it's a good idea to use new mount to chassis bolts. Also make sure they are tight. If they come loose at all the movement of the engine can make the mount slam against the bolt, kinda like one of those dent puller things that uses weight to pull the dent out.
If the old mounts were worn to begin with BEFORE the inserts were installed this stress could have caused damage that didn't show up until after the inserts were installed.

FWIW, I've been running a moderately modified 3SGTE with hybrid MKI/MKII mount bolted to the same MKI location with inserts and have not had a problem.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts