MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles do i need to go to fully break in a car? i just got a rebuilt and now i need to kno how many miles.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mr. SW20 said:
How many miles do i need to go to fully break in a car? i just got a rebuilt and now i need to kno how many miles.
700 - 1500 miles I would say 1500 on the safe side. Use dino oil, and change frequently.

sorry, quick question how much did it cost you for the rebuild?
part & labor?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Most "modern" piston ring manufacturers that are "on the ball" (eg Hastings) suggest a break in of 10 x accelleration from 30-50 mph at full throttle.. that is all.

And contrary to popular belief, the bearings really dont need to be broken in at all.

But of course there are a million people that will disagree and fight it to the death and Im not going to take part in that! But thats what I say.

If its any support for the theory... I broke my last motor in, running mineral oil for 25kms while I drove it to the dyno.. low revs, high load, as recommended. Then dumped the oil, threw the synthetic in and gave it 3.5 hours of total abuse on the dyno. Compression is still sweet, oil usage is undetectable, blowby is bordering on absolutely nothing.

-Tristan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts