MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wandered if any of you guys use a motec m4 and what sort of money they cost over there? (ecu only)

thanks

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Are you talking to US chaps or internationally?

UK prices tends to be around ?900-?1000 for the ECU on its own which is around $1700-1800 US. For it to be supplied, fitted and mapped with required sensors its around ?2000-2200 in the UK, so $3500-4000

·
Registered
949 Posts
Prices on Motec can vary substantially from country to country.

Australian Motecs and NZ Motecs cost the least, but you will not get any support from Motec USA or elsewhere.

The US pricing for all of the Motec stuff can be found in the Motec catalog in the USA section of www.motec.com

J.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was thinking maybe i could get just the ecu alone from us/nz as i have contacts to fit it and supply rest of parts and also to map it so thought as im getting some other parts i could poosible source the m4 unit aswell in the same delivery.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im in the uk by the way. so i take it from the serial number they would be able to tell its bought from abroad? (a lot cheaper!!!) say if you imported a car with a motec m4 they would support you? surely there must be a way round this robbing country!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I run a MoTec M48 on my car, and I paid around $2,000 US for it. That did not include any advanced tuning.

John

·
Registered
949 Posts
will777 said:
surely there must be a way round this robbing country!
Depends on the local dealer. There are Motec dealers here in the US that will work on a grey market Motec, but they will charge accordingly. They can find out what market the unit was sold in by the serial number, yes.

If you've the capability to wire, tune and troubleshoot, grey market is one way to go, and can be more economical than supporting your local Motec dealer. That said:

Get it from Australia or New Zealand. Getting it from the US is not going to help you, Motec USA will just refer you to Motec UK, as will Motec Australia. Besides, our price is similar to yours, maybe higher.

You will need to buy it from your contact in Au/NZ, and have him/her send to you. Best to know someone on the ground over there that is willing to go to the trouble for you. If you need to return it, you'll need them to handle some of the logistics, likely. You will likely not be able to return the unit to Motec UK for warranty work.

www.capa.com.au is one source for Motec in Australia, who publishes their pricing online. They list retail prices for stuff, in AUD. Fivebob is a board member who may be able to assist in sourcing an ECU. But he may not, I don't know him, nor do I endorse, etc...

Caution, lately, the USD has been crap against the AUD, so fellows in the US who are reading this thinking of the same avenue are advised to carefully weigh their options against ebay or buying from a Motec dealer. The price difference is closer than it was two years ago when I looked into doing this.

J.

·
Registered
161 Posts
IMO you're better off using the M400, the M4 is older technology and has limited spare outputs.

If you have the skills and a good quality crimping tool you can wire it yourself, I did and had no real problems with the install despite having limited experience in this area.

As for helping with sourcing one, I tried once before, but people wanted too much like me to purchase and send it too them and wait for the money, thanks but no thanks. However if you want to purchase one in either Australia or NZ I am happy to supply an address in either country that it can be sent to and I will forward it on ( I work 8 months a year in Australia). You would have to pay local taxes in Australia as I can't get a refund there, but I can in NZ.

As for support on grey market Motecs, might pay to wait for a more favourable exchange rate as the current cost of an basic M400 and loom would be around $US2500. Support is probably best handled through the dealer that you purchased from. My supplier in NZ is very helpful in this regard as he sends Motecs to the US with the race engines he supplies so he's used to it. Warranty support is really a bit of a non issue, as they rarely break down and once again, just return it to the dealer you purchased from and let them deal with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the input guys, i can get an m4 fitted for around ?1200 so from what your saying theres no real saving to be had anyway, just thought i might save a few quid on the ecu to put into something else but with the aftersales support etc i think motec uk it will have to be!

·
Registered
264 Posts
What about a base map? I'm considering the M400, at the moment my set up is still pretty standard but i have pretty big plans that will necessetate the new ECU. Is there a standard base map available for the M400? or would i have to tune it for my engine now and retune it for my new engine?, i'd prefer to run off a base map now and tune it properly on the new engine...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts