MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people have been buying rebuilt calipers from autozone without incident, but I came across these rear calipers at the bottom of the list, and they are significantly less expensive than all the other ones. Has anyone used these? Are they okay? That price (it is for a pair right?) is unbeatable. Thanks!

-Travis

Oh, what's the difference between loaded and unloaded?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
You might also check into www.rockauto.com.

If you're replacing your caliper, it's dead right? Did it groove the rotor at all? that might be another thing to shop for.

I'd avoid loaded calipers unless you're doing both sides at once. The pads will be cheap most likely. I like knowing that I'm starting evenly with similar friction pads if I put a full new set on the front or rear at one time.

Edit: another consideration would be to buy a rebuild kit if the bores aren't all rusted out ot totally seized. Toyota sells them. Rockauto sells them. IIRC they are about $25-30 for 2 calipers (front or rear).

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already did rebuild the rears over the summer but they're siezing a bit and chewing up the rotors. The fronts are easy to rebuild, but I found the rears to be somewhat of a pain, and apparently I didn't do a very good job either :p. The only reason I'm interested in these is because they're so damn cheap ($100 for both rears). I already have Axxis Ultimates all around, so it makes no difference if they come with pads as I won't be using them anyway. I just didn't know what "loaded" meant. I'll be replacing both rear calipers. Thanks for the suggestions!

86AW11, I'll keep that in mind, although for now I would like to get both from the same place to save on shipping.

·
Registered
602 Posts
funny you're looking into getting morse rear calipers. just last fall i got a set of morse loaded rear calipers from a local parts supplier. i havent had any issues with them yet, but with the set i got, the holes in the caliper bracket aren't quite lined up with the knuckle so i had to re-use the stock bracket. oh well. i only paid $50.00 each for mine due to my shop's account with the local parts store.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mrAW11 said:
funny you're looking into getting morse rear calipers. just last fall i got a set of morse loaded rear calipers from a local parts supplier. i havent had any issues with them yet, but with the set i got, the holes in the caliper bracket aren't quite lined up with the knuckle so i had to re-use the stock bracket. oh well. i only paid $50.00 each for mine due to my shop's account with the local parts store.
Good to know. I don't think the ones I'm looking at come with the mounting brackets, so I'd be using the stock ones anyway. The quality seems okay though from what you can tell? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
602 Posts
from what i can tell, the calipers seem ok enough. although like any loaded caliper they do come with dirt cheap pads so make sure you turn your rotors(you should turn them anyway regardless of pad quality). only time will tell whether or not the parking brake portion of the caliper and the piston will stay in good shape.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I just bought all 4 remanufactured loaded calipers from partsamerica.com. All come with complete new hardware, including pads and springs. The rears came without the e-brake bracket, which I had to reuse from the old rears. You can try calling the store to find out what exactly is included with these, which might tell you why they are so cheap.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
With the price of calipers what they are, I would strongly suggest trying to find some suer cool aftermarket setups from Wilwood, SSBC, or others. I plan to do that same thing soon. I don't see a point on spending 100.00 on cheap mexican garbage parts when I can spend 150.00 and get all aluminum, 2-4 piston, racing brake calipers.

Doesn't someone have a source for good aftermarket calipers?

Mrcat88

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Meh, I'm not looking for a project now. Besides, I find the stock brakes to be more than adequate for what I'm doing now. I've also never seen a price that even approaches this. If you can tell me where to find multi-pot calipers for $75 a piece like you say then I'll start considering it.
If a part performs its task reliably and effectively then it isn't garbage in my book. I don't care who makes it or how cheap it is as long as it works. I'm happy with my $25 ebay inner tie rods :dontknow:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts