MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im not sure what to next so far i have a 91t with an intake exhaust and a 54 trim on the ct26. uped boost. i plan on putting an aftermarket manifold and downpipe. now i am still on the n/a fuel pump but im running way rich still so im not sure what to do any input would help.
thanx tony

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
ur running rich? what's your AFR and how much are you boosting.

i take it you mean exhaust manifold? cuz ya do know there's two right exahust and intake, so just saying "manifold" is rather vague. but lemme tell ya now tho...

aftermarket exahust manifold with your mods = waste of money, mmmkay? stock mani is proven performer well past 400whp, IIRC it was something in the upper 400s to mid 500s.

My advice for you next mods, SupraTT/walbro fuel pump, an downpipe (if you plan to keep oem turbos...if not then skip the downpipe and keep saving for a kit)

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
^agreed about fuel pump.

maybe get an intake manifold or intercooler first tho. 264 cams with adj. cam gears. read that you can run the 264's on stock ecu with slight degreeing (not advancement). maybe get the whole head done and standalone. then save for new turbo kit. it all depends on how much $ and how much whp u want.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
^ i haven't read that, but if it were true, get the intercooler instead. he doesn't have the mods to take advantage of the increased VE.

like i said, if you plan to keep oem turbos (ct27/27/20b) then get a downpipe and intercooler after you get a new fuel pump, OR, get the ct27+550's kit with IC and downpipe. there's many options out there and routes to take, that's why you should plan out what you want before buying anything so you don't buy stuff now that you wont need a few months from now.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
If you go for a fuel pump upgrade (and you should, the NA pump is a dog) you need to also consider a new fuel rail. Ref: http://www.wolfkatz.com

Get an intercooler and call it good. If you must spend money, put it in the suspension and tires.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
whiteapexmr2 said:
cool thanx guys what is better 2 1/2 in downpipe or 3 in
as i said, you need to have a plan of attack. sub 300whp calls for 2.5" piping. >300whp calls for 3" piping.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
get whatever dp you want, 2.5"/3" is negligible until you are hitting bigger numbers... DEFFINENTLY get a supraTT/walbro fuel pump, and an Intercooler.. oh, and dont forget upgraded ECU/EMS

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
3in downpipe = the bigger it is, the faster it will spool.
upgrade to a better intercooler.

you dont really need a larger fuel pump yet. its one of those things you should conisder for the future.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
lagos said:
you dont really need a larger fuel pump yet. its one of those things you should conisder for the future.
i'm sorry what? boosting on an NA pump is NEVER recommended...mmmkay?

you might be able to get away with it using 93 octane and light boosting for a lil bit, but if you keep it, prepare to spend 1500+ on a rebuild/new engine. why put yourself at risk when a new pump is $150 or under...it's your choice

spend $150 now....spend $1500 later...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
lagos said:
3in downpipe = the bigger it is, the faster it will spool.
upgrade to a better intercooler.

I think you didnt read that he has a 5SFE fuel pump. Which has been flow tested to run out at close to stock power levels.

That black smoke just means you probably dont have any cats. Do some basic maintainence to your car, your gas milage should improve. The "rich" smell and the black ash on your bumper is NOT indicative of your fuel pump, there's a FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR that controls how much fuel is going through the system and the stock ECU also controls the injectors. For all you know, your fuel pump is COMPLETLY maxed out and fluttering on the edge of failing to provide enough fuel/pressure to the lines to your cylinders. Why would you go through all this work just to fall short on a $200 SupraTT Fuel pump or a $100 Walbro? dont half ass this, you will regret it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im ganna get a warblo fuel pump but i was woulndering what to do next. if i were to get an aftermarket intercooler how much could i boost with the fuel pump and fuel rail.
thanx tony

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
with the 54trim CT26, its hard to say, i'd take it to a dyno and hook up a A/F meter and then play with different boost settings, if your A/F ratios dont become too high, then you can keep raising it until you hit the desired high rpm a/f ratio.

if you had a stock CT26, typically 16psi is fine on JDM CT26's, 15-16 is also ok on USDM CT26's.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
dg_performance said:
is the exhaust temps a problem at 16psi, or do you have to push it alot harder than 16psi b4 you got to worry about that?
all an EGT gauge will tell you whether or not you might be running lean/rich. With a properly set up wideband, there's really no need to keep checking exhaust temps.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
dg_performance said:
is the exhaust temps a problem at 16psi, or do you have to push it alot harder than 16psi b4 you got to worry about that?
its not the exhaust temps that you should be worried about on a ct26, its if he would be maxing out his stock injectors on a moddified ct26 turbine. With a wideband 02 sensor setup, you will know for sure if you're cutting it close or not under a load and at high rpm.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
modified ct26 wont max out fuel. charge temps might be a problem depending on how high he decides to boost, and that howver could cause a blown motor. but a modded ct26 are 250whp capable turbos and under from all the people that have posted their dyno's on the baord. (by modded i'm not talking about the ct27 however).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts