MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Billings and see a new(to me) MR2 every couple of weeks. I think I now count 8 in town. I lived in in a town 2-3 times bigger than this and only saw two. Just wondering if any of the owners are here on the board?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I know of at least 4 MR2 owners in Bozeman...myself (although not going to be home for a while), a friend of mine w/ a Mk I w/ the JDM high compression engine, and two kids who are in the dorms at MSU with Mk II turbos. There is also a person with a red Mk II that I don't know.

·
Registered
548 Posts
1500 posts Hamster . . . congrats! That means you are nearly four times as cool as me! :p

Seriously, I enjoy your other posts I've seen about the forum. I also appreciate the use of punctuation . . . actual sentences . . . you know, the detail stuff.

What's your SMG look like? Wanna share some pics? What drag strip do you guys have up there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here in Billings we have a quarter mile NHRA track that hosts regional/divisional points races. We also have a dirt track that hosts World of Outlaw races. There is a fairly active solo 2 contingency. We also host the Black Otter Trail hill climb. The hill climb is sanctioned by the Northwestern Hillclimb Association. It has been run consecutively for the past 40 years. I just moved here from central Illinois in August and have not been to either track yet. I did get to the hill climb and several good sized car cruise/shows, not alot of imports, but I love all cars so its good.

·
Registered
548 Posts
ringmaster73 said:
We also host the Black Otter Trail hill climb. The hill climb is sanctioned by the Northwestern Hillclimb Association. It has been run consecutively for the past 40 years. I just moved here from central Illinois in August and have not been to either track yet. I did get to the hill climb and several good sized car cruise/shows, not alot of imports, but I love all cars so its good.
Oooh, a hillclimb! I've never done one of those. We don't have any (that I know of) in Colorado . . .

·
Registered
548 Posts
oldster said:
You mean that you can run your MR2 on?
Well, I was assuming so. SCCA time trial hillclimb events are popular on the east coast, and some eastern southern states, and they're typically on paved roads, not like Pike's Peak.

As described here -

http://www.users.fast.net/~nescca/timetrials.html

" ?Hill Climbs? - The fourth and top level of the Time Trials program. Hill Climb events offer short-distance, timed events for race-prepared vehicles on paved mountain roads, with winners determined by fastest times."

Can't find a link about it on the official SCCA website (scca.com). God their website sucks. Hope their webmaster only got paid with free entrances to events, not actual currency.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is not sanctioned by the SCCA. They use solo classes but it is sanctioned by this organization http://www.nhahillclimb.org
Last year the entry fee was $50 practice all day sat. and I think everyone gat like 9 runs. The modified classes top times are low 50 sec range. On Sunday it was 6 timed runs I believe. Since they run solo classing you can run stock class cars with helmet. The road is disentigrating asphalt, very rough. My car is not ready to run yet so I just worked the corners, but there were some fast cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Current Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) GCR classes will be used for anything on race tires and Improved Touring. SCCA Solo II classes will be used for Stock and Street Prepared

This came from the rules on their website, they also have 5 additional NHA specific classes.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Seriously, I enjoy your other posts I've seen about the forum. I also appreciate the use of punctuation . . . actual sentences . . . you know, the detail stuff.
Haha, thanks, I appreciate the compliment. :)
What's your SMG look like? Wanna share some pics?
Yes! But my parents web space where I had my pics hosted has mysteriously disappeared, along with all my pics. I need some pics with the new rims anyway...I need to remember to take some when I'm back in town on the 16th. She still needs to spend some time in the bodyshop because of my troubles with Tire-rama....I'm going to try to do the Bedell side scoop mod and have it painted while they're painting my bumper. :)

Here in Billings we have a quarter mile NHRA track that hosts regional/divisional points races
Wait....there has been a quarter mile track two hours from my house since I've been living here, and I've been none the wiser?

*smacks self*

·
Premium Member
13,224 Posts
Im one of the bozeman MKII turbo dorm guys. I didnt know there were two of us in the dorms with them though. I see a red one parked arround here a lot, but its never in the dorm lot. Im assuming thats the red one you are talking about? If theres another one I havent seen it yet.

·
Registered
121 Posts
There is also an Idaho/Montana regional forum...
check us out there for occasional messages also.

further info on Northwest Hillclimb Association
can be found at ........ http://www.nhahillclimb.org/

We run a series of 6 to 8 hillclimb races every summer in the NW,
races are in CA, OR, ID, MT, WY
have had others in WA and UT in the past.

I started the Teton Hillclimb and now run timing/scoring/communications/second in command,etc.
The hillclimb race is held every fall on the access road
to Grand Targhee ski area in Alta, WY, accessed through Driggs, ID.
info on last years race at ... http://www.onewest.net/~jda/tetonhil/index.html

I ran at the Black Otter Hillclimb about 10 or 12 years ago,
haven't made it back since.
Had the CSP class record in my Datsun roadster at the time,
I'm sure it's probably been broken several times over by now?

Usually try to race at Freezeout, Bogus Basin and Teton hills each year.
Hold the CSP class record at Teton in my 91 MR2.

anyhow, bring your MR2's to a hillclimb race !
NHA people are good, fun people to spend a weekend with !

·
Registered
548 Posts
Idaho2s said:
There is also an Idaho/Montana regional forum...
check us out there for occasional messages also.

further info on Northwest Hillclimb Association
can be found at ........ http://www.nhahillclimb.org/

We run a series of 6 to 8 hillclimb races every summer in the NW,
races are in CA, OR, ID, MT, WY
have had others in WA and UT in the past.

I started the Teton Hillclimb and now run timing/scoring/communications/second in command,etc.
The hillclimb race is held every fall on the access road
to Grand Targhee ski area in Alta, WY, accessed through Driggs, ID.
info on last years race at ... http://www.onewest.net/~jda/tetonhil/index.html

anyhow, bring your MR2's to a hillclimb race !
NHA people are good, fun people to spend a weekend with !
Well, Google says . . .

Start address: Longmont, CO
End address: Alta, WY 83414
Distance: 538 mi (about 11 hours 3 mins)

It's possible, and it looks like fun, but at that distance, it's unlikely . . .

http://www.onewest.net/~jda/tetonhil/index.html

"The annual Rotary Teton Hillclimb race is held on the access road to the Grand Targhee Resort, located near Alta, Wyoming and Driggs, Idaho. The lodges, pit area, and race headquarters are all located at the top of the course, making Grand Targhee Resort an excellent host facility for the hillclimb race. The race course is an 8 turn, 2 mile section of full two lane, recently paved, excellent road that climbs 500 feet in elevation, ending near the Grand Targhee Resort with the finish line elevation at approximately 8000 feet. Some corners are protected with guardrails or dirt embankments, but there is significant exposure on the last several corners."

How scary is it on a scale of 1 to 10 (for someone with autox and track experience, but zero experience pushing it on public roads)?

How much does it cost?

Is there going to be one in 2006?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes... there is a Teton Hillclimb Race planned for 2006, Sept 9-10 weekend
Cost should be in the $60 entry fee range....

Is it scary...?
Not if you keep your car on the road.!!!!

However, yes, it can be scary in a high hp car,
or in a low hp car with a scary driver !

I have seen many drivers get out of their car at the top of the hill
after a run, with their hands shaking uncontrollably from the rush,
it can be an intense 2 minutes !

Hillclimbs are best done after you have at least some auto-x experience
in your car and know how it reacts at speed.

Teton is one of the fastest hillclimbs we run,
with the fastest cars doing 120+ on the longest stretch
(not really a straight)

and yes there are some places with SIGNIFICANT exposure
in this stretch of road, in some places if you go off
the wrong side of the road, the car would land in tree TOPS,
we can't even see the bottom of the canyon from there..

I have some in car camera video of a "3/4" speed run up the hill
in my Datsun roadster and race day runs in my MR2,
one of these days I hope to get it posted to the Teton Hillclimb website
so people can see the course before they decide to make a long drive
to join us for the race.

However, YES we have a great time at this race.
Drivers come from ID, WY, UT, WA, OR, MT, CA

1 - 16 of 16 Posts