MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
SBrian2 said:
Yep, I had cone trouble on day 1, but was faster that Robert on day 2 in Dixie. I'll trade a Tour loss for a Nationals win any day though. Robert probably won't have to deal with me too much longer anyways, I'm thinking of going to CSP.

Brian Johns
Wow...I might actually be able to win some contingency this year then!!!

Sorry to hear you leaving the class Brian. If you and Tara ever need a ride, talk to me.

-MGD

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I have a sc swap in my na... I had heard that SCCA changed their ruling to allow these swaps, but looking at appendix A, CSP it doesn't look like that's the case. I'm planning on going in about 2 weeks, so I should figure out what class I'm in. Everything other than the engine is pretty tame- I've redone the suspension, but as far as I recall, it's stuff that's allowed as far down as ST.

Can anyone tell me what class this bumps me to?

·
Registered
148 Posts
hey i read a bit about someones twincharged mr2 in this post. anybody know what my car would be in, it's a twincharged gze ae86, stripped interior, racing seats and slicks, nothing in the car is stock but glass and shell.

My main autox car is an n/a aw11, i'm getting slicks for it soon, what will that do to class. I'm also thinking about headers/exaust, and itb's. thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
91' turbo
LSD swap
Solid poly motor mounts
Poly control arm bushings/sway bar bushings
Ko racing down pipe
Muffler shop cat less exhaust w/cherry bomb glasspack
St springs

...if I'm reading that chart correctly...just the fact that I went to poly bushings, puts me in 'prepared'?

·
Registered
61 Posts
What type rim/tire can I run? Am I restricted on width? Tried to look up what other asp mr2's are running..with little luck. What size rim/tire would you guys suggest on a 91 turbo?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
box&sox said:
What type rim/tire can I run? Am I restricted on width? Tried to look up what other asp mr2's are running..with little luck. What size rim/tire would you guys suggest on a 91 turbo?
All you can get.

Wheel size is unrestricted in SP. You are required to run on DOT certified tires (anything up to and including R-Comps, but no racing slicks).

Don't know what the other SP turbos are running so I will leave it to them to reply but tires are critical to competitiveness.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Stock replacements/adds

Question regarding a couple of improvements...
I just ran my first Autocross last weekend with my 1993 N/A. I plan to run Novice next year then move to the E Stock (new Street) class.

1) I would like to replace all the worn rubber bushings on the suspension components, but SCCA rule 13.0 states "Alternate components which are normally expendable and considered replacement parts (e.g., engine and wheel bearings, seals, gaskets, filters, belts, bolts, bulbs, batteries, brake rotors, clutch discs, pressure plates, suspension bushings, drivetrain mounts, fenders, trim pieces, etc.) may be used provided they are essentially identical to the standard parts (e.g., have the same type, size, hardness, weight, material etc.), are used in the same location, and provide no performance benefit." And 13.8C states "Suspension bushings, including but not limited to those which carry the weight of the vehicle and determine ride height, may not be replaced with bushings of a different material or dimension."

So question #1, Can I use the new polyurethane bushing kits and stay in compliance with these rules? Or should I replace them with OEM rubber bushings?

2) I would like to add to the engine bay, the upper strut cross-bars (not from strut tower to strut tower, but the X-bracing to mount on the factory-fit mounting tabs to each strut tower.
So question #2, was this upper strut cross-bar a stock option with the original vehicle? And, would a homemade version be considered a non-stock modification and put me in another class?

Any response much appreciated...

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Question #1: No. Bushings must be OE or aftermarket reproductions that are of the same material. Poly is not. You must use the OE bushings.

Question #2: The engine bay cross brace must be the OE parts. Also, must be standard or optional on the car as fitted. Home made or aftermarket are not legal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
[/QUOTE]Question #2: The engine bay cross brace must be the OE parts. Also, must be standard or optional on the car as fitted. Home made or aftermarket are not legal.[/QUOTE]

Do you know if the OE strut bar was standard or optional on the 1993 NA MR2 - in US or Canada or other countries outside of the US? If so, and if I add the OE strut bar, I can make the argument that it will not bump me to a class outside of stock, right?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Question #2: The engine bay cross brace must be the OE parts. Also, must be standard or optional on the car as fitted. Home made or aftermarket are not legal.[/QUOTE]

Do you know if the OE strut bar was standard or optional on the 1993 NA MR2 - in US or Canada or other countries outside of the US? If so, and if I add the OE strut bar, I can make the argument that it will not bump me to a class outside of stock, right?[/QUOTE]

Don't know but the Factory Service Manual will show it if it was available.

Maybe somebody else here can answer.

·
Premium Member
12,716 Posts
Officially I don't know, but based on pictures I have seen I don't think the X-brace was very common on NA models. It may have only been OEM on the turbo model.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts