MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
You let Jesse talk. Sorry... ;)

Most tire guages have a button you press. On the "pen type" there is a little stub that you press against the valve that lets air out. Alternatively, you don't press the guage in all teh way and just let air out that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,378 Posts
How accurate is the chart for the 2007 stock class? Should be my 1st year for me. I bought the car stock(1985) w/ the ac taken out and it seems that should be ok because ac is an option. I have read the rulebook and it looks like I can't do much as I expected. If there is anything I can do, pleace enlighten me. Thanks in advance for those that help.

Edit: If I read the rules correctly. I am able to move the battery to the front, add a hitch on the back, change steering wheel, use any brake pads, use any air filters, catback exhaust, and steel brake lines. That looks like the big stuff I can do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Yes everything has to stay where it is. THe only real benefit you have by running an 85 Mr2 is that it came with rear bar as stock, NO other Mr2 did. Now I am not sure if youcan change the mounting points of the bar, you need to look into that. I think there is a national competitor that I autox with, whom would completely diasgree, but check. You can change the cat back exhaust, to maybe free up some hp, but just count on it freeing up some weight at the back of the car. You can add a hitch for towing, but if you can take it off do it, again, wight in the back, if not, just leave it on, you shouldn't be penalized, its not a "enhanced" modification. Check about racing belts, you can use them for safety of course, but they will really plant you firmly in the car, plus they are really easy to do in an MR2, just bolt them to the firewall (of course follow the directions, I take no responsiblilty in that). Check your rules.
Honestly though, between 2nd gen N/A mr2s and early Miatas, your basically screwed, you need to go to CSP. BUt for those of use who so not have the money to put our car in CSP, it works. I try to stay within 5 seconds out of CSP drivers and the stock Nationals guy (and his daughter is incredible to). I feel I am doing ok, considering my $350 POS that doesn't even run in the winter. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,378 Posts
Thanks for all the responses guys. I'll probably stay stock for 2 or 3 years just getting used to the car and get some racing experience. I have big plans though for the little mr2 floating in my head. Thanks for all responses and good luck to on the racetrack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,854 Posts
I first have to admit I tried to view the page on my blackberry with limited result.
I'm trying to stay within the prepared catagory. The aftermarket steering wheel and brake cooling ducts concern me. I thought I was okay with modifications in these areas. Anyone care to clarify?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Medpilot said:
I first have to admit I tried to view the page on my blackberry with limited result.
I'm trying to stay within the prepared catagory. The aftermarket steering wheel and brake cooling ducts concern me. I thought I was okay with modifications in these areas. Anyone care to clarify?
just my curiosity??.........but why would you need brake cooling ducts on a 45sec to a 1min.run??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,854 Posts
I plan to use the car primarily for road racing timed events and shows. However, I would still like to participate at some competitive level in auto-X.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
You don't. Another good reason to get the 85 MR2 it came with smaller rotors stock I think 200mm vs the later (86+) got 212 mm rotors. Smaller = lighter, and you do not need heavy, bigger brake upgrades to do autox. You also do not need any sort of aerodynamic upgrades. I think thats why the SM class was created, people were adding large wings, etc. on the back of their car, also huge front scoops and air dams. Now *maybe* that helps when going triple digits, which I am not condoning btw, but useless on an autox course. It automagically put them in a modified class even though there really was no increase in performance, if anything the added weight slowed them down, so a class was created for street tuner type cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
jim85mr2 said:
Honestly though, between 2nd gen N/A mr2s and early Miatas, your basically screwed, you need to go to CSP. BUt for those of use who so not have the money to put our car in CSP, it works. I try to stay within 5 seconds out of CSP drivers and the stock Nationals guy (and his daughter is incredible to). I feel I am doing ok, considering my $350 POS that doesn't even run in the winter. :(
are the MKII mr2's really that good for autoX? I always got the impression that they didn't handle as well stock, and had similar if not worse power-to-weight ratio..?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,069 Posts
sliverstorm said:
are the MKII mr2's really that good for autoX? I always got the impression that they didn't handle as well stock, and had similar if not worse power-to-weight ratio..?
look at what has DOMINATED E-Stock for the past ~10 years. It hasn't been Miatas

CSP is another story
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
kbrew8991 said:
look at what has DOMINATED E-Stock for the past ~10 years. It hasn't been Miatas

CSP is another story
All though rumor has that is changing. Supposedly one of the top ES MR2 drivers is building an R-packge Miata now because he feels its "the car to have in ES". Who knows, but I know a Miata owner and his wife who are always up to prove the R-packages are still competative in ES.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,069 Posts
MidTenn said:
All though rumor has that is changing. Supposedly one of the top ES MR2 drivers is building an R-packge Miata now because he feels its "the car to have in ES". Who knows, but I know a Miata owner and his wife who are always up to prove the R-packages are still competative in ES.
they occasionally trophy, no doubts about that, but they haven't won... yet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Yup...Robert Carpenter (mr2) had cone troubles the first day at topeka and couldn't quite make up the difference to Brian Johns(miata) in the miata as I recall.

The results at the Dixie tour were dramitically different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
3WheelWonder said:
Yup...Robert Carpenter (mr2) had cone troubles the first day at topeka and couldn't quite make up the difference to Brian Johns(miata) in the miata as I recall.

The results at the Dixie tour were dramitically different.
Yep, I had cone trouble on day 1, but was faster that Robert on day 2 in Dixie. I'll trade a Tour loss for a Nationals win any day though. Robert probably won't have to deal with me too much longer anyways, I'm thinking of going to CSP.

Brian Johns
 
21 - 40 of 57 Posts
Top