MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried this new oil from Mobil 1? They're saying it'll last to 15,000 miles or a year. I'm kinda iffy about this.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
I just saw that 2...? and in awwweee about it in WALMART....chime in and givea review cause this could be a good thing from mobil one...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I bet you anything that its more expensive. Just another money making ploy. You're safer changing every 3k.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
SW20/20 said:
I bet you anything that its more expensive. Just another money making ploy. You're safer changing every 3k.
every 3k is ALSO a money making ploy :thumbup

·
Registered
401 Posts
I just bought some today since they didnt have the performance driving formula. I dont liek to keep the oil in too long too. I change at 3000 miles.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i change at 5000km (3000Miles) using Mobil 1 5w-50, so far had trouble getting the 10w-30 stuff but will try it next time... will still only use it for 5000k's though! at least it is closer to the viscocity the engines meant to be running. i noticed the 5w-50 is a little noisier.

·
Owner Texas2s.com
1,816 Posts
My old VW Golf said the change the oil every 7500 miles..............one thing to think about, the owners manual is going to error on the side on being conservative. They are not going to tell you it is okay to go out and rag the hell out of your turbo and then it's okay to change the oil every 6000 or 7500 miles. They would be dealing with every owner that has an engine failure at 5000 miles, so they are going to use what is safe and what is generally accepted as the "norm".

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Gragon said:
My old VW Golf said the change the oil every 7500 miles..............one thing to think about, the owners manual is going to error on the side on being conservative.
I think most cars I've owned have said to change the oil at 7500 miles or 6 months, whichever came first. For the minimal additional cost, I've always just changed the oil at 3000 miles and done it myself. At the very least I would check the oil every 1k miles or so. If I had waited until 7500 miles to change the oil on the VW Golf GTI I had, it either would have run dry or had a pretty good mix of old/new oil from having to add a quart every 1000 miles. :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
German cars tend to try and get their service intervals up a lot. The first golf wasn't a diesel was it cause that also puts the service interval up. regardless, an MR2 turbo is not a golf and 3000 mile intervals are probably worth while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts